Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the Farmer spreading yesterday?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

:rolleyes:

What exactly is that response supposed to mean, If you have something to say then say it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Tipp Man wrote: »
    So would you call somebody who would not allow you to walk yourself and your dog ignorant and cantankerous??

I wouldn't; however; I would call someone who assumes that everyone thinks like themselves and feels that being accommodating / friendly to your neighbour is something to be avoided at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

What exactly is that response supposed to mean, If you have something to say then say it

I think you are ever reacting and also being a little bit angry for some reason. Enjoy the sun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

You can walk my land whenever you please. I would suggest keeping clear of livestock especially cows and calves

I think you are ever reacting and also being a little bit angry for some reason. Enjoy the sun :D

Over reacting is it?

Would you call a bill of over €7,000 for repairs to people's gardens because some walker had left a gate open after being in there without permission as over reacting?

Would you call half a pit of silage destroyed by a neighbours dog as over reacting? And then the same dog destroyed a load of silage bales the following year? And not so much as a red cent from the neighbour

Would you call being reported to the county council for pollution after letting a fella fish on our land as over reacting?? (luckily he was an idiot and council were more than happy)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

jeeny i go out and do some work and come back to this..............:eek: maybe there should be a sticky or something where the non farming people can ask questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

TBH it's a pity to see people being cut with smart replies when they ask questions.
    Even when they seem to think they can walk over land without permissions, we should aim to educate them on the particular etiquette regarding these matters.

Better an educated neighbour than bad feeling which rarely ever gets sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

whelan1 wrote: »
    jeeny i go out and do some work and come back to this..............:eek: maybe there should be a sticky or something where the non farming people can ask questions

I don't know whether that's great minds thinking alike or fools seldom differing, but that idea was running with me also.

Over reacting is it?

Would you call a bill of over €7,000 for repairs to people's gardens because some walker had left a gate open after being in there without permission as over reacting?

Would you call half a pit of silage destroyed by a neighbours dog as over reacting? And then the same dog destroyed a load of silage bales the following year? And not so much as a red cent from the neighbour

Would you call being reported to the county council for pollution after letting a fella fish on our land as over reacting?? (luckily he was an idiot and council were more than happy)

Shoot the dog if it sets foot in your yard. Put chain and padlock on gates. Put up 'No Trespassing' signs. You are right, I wouldn't be happy if that happened to me, I would feel a right fool for letting it happen twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Over reacting is it?

i wouldnt call it over reacting but the key thing here is "permission". If you ask for it and the farmer gives it to you then he/she thinks your capable of respecting the farm.

i wouldnt let a complete stranger wander across our place (ask the local hunt i met them on thier horse's on the home place a while back, they wont be round these parts in hurry again), but we do have the local foot beagles and some locals shooter around every winter and they will also almost always come round before to let us know where they will be be and always ask to know where the cattle are so as not to distrub them.

• Advertisement

Shoot the dog if it sets foot in your yard. Put chain and padlock on gates. Put up 'No Trespassing' signs. You are right, I wouldn't be happy if that happened to me, I would feel a right fool for letting it happen twice.

yet again the irony of your username shines through

yellow50HX wrote: »
    i wouldnt call it over reacting but the key thing here is "permission". If you ask for it and the farmer gives it to you then he/she thinks your capable of respecting the farm.

i wouldnt let a complete stranger wander across our place (ask the local hunt i met them on thier horse's on the home place a while back, they wont be round these parts in hurry again), but we do have the local foot beagles and some locals shooter around every winter and they will also almost always come round before to let us know where they will be be and always ask to know where the cattle are so as not to distrub them.

We get on well with the local gun club They are very active. More than happy to do pest control throughout the spring and summer ( they call it training). They actively patrol their preserves throughout the hunting season so we have very few strangers walking with dogs during the season. One of the neighbours regularly walks to work across our place he crosses 3 other farms on his way also never an issue. I'd be a long way from any form of blanket permission though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Massey10

whippet wrote: »
    thats alright ... is this an annual thing they do or is it just every couple of years? would it have anything to do with the fact that the farmer yielded nothing from the crop last year?
    how do you know it yielded nothing .

do you thinkputting up a sign will work

Massey10 wrote: »
    how do you know it yielded nothing .

the corn was left in the field practically rotting until halloween and then the whole lot chopped on the 1st November.

the corn was left in the field practically rotting until halloween and then the whole lot chopped on the 1st November.
    when you say corn do you mean the corn on the cob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Massey10 wrote: »
    do you thinkputting up a sign will work

I can tell you it doesn't. People lose the ability to read or become extremely near sighted in the vicinity of signage.

A thread for non farming folk to ask questions about farming sounds like a great idea.

A thread for non farming folk to ask questions about farming sounds like a great idea.[/QUOTE]
    I bet the two of them come from the us

Maize?

Maize?

it was; in my very limited knowledge of crops the state of the crops was very much rotten

• Advertisement

yet again the irony of your username shines through

Do you post on politics.ie under the same name?

Do you post on politics.ie under the same name?

No don't use it

Do you??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

No don't use it

Do you??

So did we figure out what he was spreading? I got a warning for my suggestion! Don't know why?? I was only suggesting a certain type of dust!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

So did we figure out what he was spreading? I got a warning for my suggestion! Don't know why?? I was only suggesting a certain type of dust!

You were trolling by giving a stupid answer that you know was stupid and trying to get responses that would derail the op's original post.

and as I said before the farmer has no problem with people walking dogs on his land ... no need to get aggressive, I was asking if there was particular times of the when it wouldn't be a good time to walk the dog.

Everybody is different, some farmers are nice decent people, some are ignorant and cantankerous; while some dog owners are responsible and some are irresponsible.

Have to back Tipp Man up on this, unfortunately it has come to the point where you have to stop people walking on your land for a number of reasons.

Legal liability if something happens

Too many zoonotic diseases around and dogs spread these

Too many people now do not care what they do on your land, whether its leaving gates open frightening cattle etc, they just don't give a ****e!

You leave one in the whole county thinks its a free for all! Again no respect, most never heard of asking!

Too many people are sticking their nose in business that doesn't concern them,

People have changed over the yers and now think they know everything and if they don't like something they think right ill report it straight away! However if the shoe was on the other foot I wonder how it would pan out.

reilig wrote: »
    You were trolling by giving a stupid answer that you know was stupid and trying to get responses that would derail the op's original post.

Apologies Relig it was just some humour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Apologies Relig it was just some humour!

I know that.
    I don't take it personally. And I hope nobody does. After all, it's an anomyous internet forum. :rolleyes:
    It's just that this was the 4th thread this week that went that way. You'd be sick of it too if every time you opened your email account it was full of reported posts and you had to deal with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

approached 3 pricks last week and told them i dont allow anyone run their dogs on my land.. was getting some guff and put it to em that they hopped over a gate with a no enter sign.. more guff.. i opened a gap to let them out and showed them how agitated the cows were gettin as they passed by .. the ****ers let the dogs go after some birds right beside the cows just to spite me.. i bollicked them out of it.. more guff as i let them out the road gate .. i recited the car reg back to them and told em i didnt expect to see them again.. no guff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

That is quite possibly the most stupid post I've ever seen. The farmer spent the day driving around his field in a cloud of hydrated lime dust? Are you for real? A little knowledge etc....

BTW when you were googling your little gem did you come up with a reason why the farmer might have been spreading hydrated lime on his land? Do you think he gets his jollies from it or something?

Here is the MSDS for 'agricultural lime' - irritant to skin and eyes etc.

http://www.peterschemical.com/pcc-agricultural-limestone/msds-sheet-pcc-200-dolomitic-agricultural-limestone/

Corrosive by its very nature in that it will alter pH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

not the same product tails ...hydrated lime is calcium hydroxide... a proven disinfectant from earliest times...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement