Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exporting a pup to UK

• 08-04-2013 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,

I've a litter of pedigree pups due and I've had an enquiry from the UK. Can anyone advise on the procedures and the options on sending a pup to the UK?

The perspective new owners are vouched for, so the pup will be going to a good home. The pup will of course have all necesssary checks and vacinations.

Thanks for any help,
    Nippy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Theres no procedures as such. Just make sure the pup is regsitered with the IKC here first which means it has to be microchipped, and then the new owners will organise it from their end to have the pup registered with the KC once they have the paperwork from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nippy

Thanks Andreac, what would be the easiest way to ship the pup to the UK?
    Is there any service available to do this?

Cheers
    Nippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'd get the new owners to come over and collect the dog.

Getting them to collect is probably the best thing. Its up to you to then sort out the passport. They can also inform Irish ferrys that they will be returning with the pups .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If the dog's going to the UK, you DO NOT need a pet passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have taken kittens to UK for people and one way to do it is drive to the port and go as a foot passenger with animal in carrier then have them meet you at the other side. Return on the return sailing.
    It takes a full day unless you are near Dublin and get the fast ferry. Also my friends who took kittens paid my fair, it's cheap enough.
    Also they can do the reverse, and you meet them this side with pup. It's safer than shipping with a company, and pup spends minimal time away from people.

As said above no passport needed, I bring my dogs sometimes, no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

There has been a new law brought in regarding pet passports with dogs travelling to the uk, but its not enforced. I travel over regularly to the UK to shows and i dont have passports for mine and i have never been asked.

I would get the new owner to come over to collect the pup. They can do a cheap 24hour return on the ferry and it wont cost a huge amount.

Failing that, if you know someone travelling over, you could always ask them to take the pup and get the new owners to meet them at the ferry terminal.

Advertisement