Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013-5 Time Marathoner,1st Time Dad

Options
  • 08-04-2013 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭

Background:

Have always kept reasonably fit - played a good bit of soccer & GAA growing up. Started running in 2003 and entered the DCM that year on a whim after someone dared me to in a nite-club.

Made all the rookie mistakes - made it to the start line with shin splints and a chest infection; managed to wheeze and hobble my way around in 5:40 (:eek:) but strangely that day changed my life.

Pretty much gave up drinking and acting the maggot (my discovery of running also coincided with starting my 'proper' career and settling down with my then girlfriend-now wife).

Anyway, running is now my church-pub-stress buster-counsellor. Times and performance are reasonably important to me but not critical. Getting out on a crisp spring morning for a brisk 10k on my local country route is something that I cherish more than a marginal PB.

Recent Developments:

Put a huge effort in last year for London Marathon. In hindsight I peaked way to early (in late Jan/Feb - see Dungarvan time below :rolleyes:) and then picked up plantar faciitis and achilles injuries. I had planned to do a half marathon last spring too but had to give it a miss.

Was disappointed with the time in the end but enjoyed the experience hugely - got to halfway in 1:34 but detonated fairly spectacularly in the final third.

Recovered ok after that running wise and focused on improving 10k time - had been stuck annoyingly on 40:15+ for about 18 months. Did a lot of speed sessions/intervals etc. and ran 39:05 in June; still felt i had more in the tank and was targetting the Dundrum 10k in late June as a possible sub 38 min effort (it's the flattest course ever). But the achilles finally gave out and had to go for several very painful and costly physio sessions.

Decided to take a break from running - hit the gym and cardio machines for a few months and kept in very good shape aerobically.

But then in October, the real life changing event....the arrival of Cartman Jnr.....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

It's been a roller-coaster since then in every sense of the word - he arrived 4 wks premature so a bit of stress/drama at the time and it's been a whirlwind of emotions, highs & lows, laughs, tears, nappies, sleep deprivation and giggles since.

Obviously my training has taken a back seat for a few months - quit the gym and have kept in shape with the Total Kitchen Workout (dumbells, exercise ball and resistance band), speed walks with the dog and the odd run at the weekend.

Got a bad flu in February which really set me back, just getting over it now and Cartman Jnr also starting to finally settling down in terms of sleeping/feeding so now have a window again to get back on the road.

The Numbers:

Marathon: 3:26 (London 2012)
    Half-Marathon: 1:35 (Achill 2007)
    10 Mile: 63 mins (Dungarvan 2012)
    10k: 39:05 (Bilboa 2012)

Goals for 2013:

1) Make it to DCM Startline in one piece
    2) Sub 3:45 would be nice
    3) Sub 3:30 would be nicer
    4) PB (< 3:26) would be great
    5) Get under 40mins for 10k again
    6) Half-Marathon PB (<1:35) if I can find a race that suits

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Sat 6th - 10k - 47 mins
    Sun 7th - 7.15k - 35 mins

*Just a quick note on the routes - they're both essentially on the same loop of the rolling Limerick countryside, the 7k route has 2 very steep hills and the 10k has an extra dirty one thrown in as well. Have never gone faster than ~ 42mins on the 10k and ran 28 mins flat on the 7k route last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Best of luck with the log. Your 10k and 10miles times suggest you'll blitz both PBs in the half and marathan if you keep up with training. Based on your 10k, Daniels has you at 1:27 & 3:01 for 1/2 & Marathon. Just need to get yourself one of those buggies so you can run around Limerick pushing the nipper and you're all set ;)

guinang wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log. Your 10k and 10miles times suggest you'll blitz both PBs in the half and marathan if you keep up with training. Based on your 10k, Daniels has you at 1:27 & 3:01 for 1/2 & Marathon. Just need to get yourself one of those buggies so you can run around Limerick pushing the nipper and you're all set ;)

Cheers - I'm hoping posting a log on here will keep me motivated.

My plan for last year was to go sub-3:10 in London and then have a crack at a sub-3 in DCM in October but my body let me down*.

The 10 mile and 10k times were from a very solid and consistent marathon training base - I don't think I'll ever run a race again like I did in Dungarvan....could have run through brick walls that day :cool:

* Should have added in my opening post - I'll be hitting 35 in a couple of weeks so prob getting to that stage where niggles don't go away as quickly as they used to. Both achilles are a bit sore today after my back to back jogs over the weekend so I think injury management is going to play a big part in my goals for the rest of the year

I guessed you'd be turning 35 this year. Call it intuition, or call it the 'someone had Cartman username so best put my birth year in'.

Sounds like you may have speed in the legs but perhaps hadn't enough miles under the belt coming in to that race. Either way your targets are soft, but I suspect you'll be shifting those as soon as you're confident that things with the nipper settle down. I've got two so know the feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Good to see your log mate...I have the advantage of youth on my side at a sprightly 26 and my lack of family....for the moment :P....

I am doing the log for the same reason as yourself with similar goals as yourself.... I will prob end up using your blog to read and keep me on the straight and narrow.... Good luck and hopefully we can bounce ideas off each other

• Advertisement

@Perkina - I'm not sure if following me would be the best idea as I'm expecting things to be fairly higgledy-piggledy :pac:

At the best of times I don't follow a strict plan but always make sure to hit the key sessions.

Anyway, no running last night -

Did 3 x 15 pushups (want to get this back to 3 x 30), some core work and the Alfredson Protocol exercises for my achillies (which I've being neglecting to do for a while now)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

With your detonation in the 2nd half of London and you being better at distances up to half improving your aerobic fitness will benefit you a lot. A dad myself you just have to find smarter ways to run. To and from work if possible or at lunch time then this doesn't eat as much into your family time. With your 63 mins in Dungarvan 12 months ago you will well set at doing a much better half. Your weekly LSR will be key and ensuring that you do it slow enough will also be very important. I don't think 1:34 was too adventurous off the back of Dungarvan. You may think you peaked too early (may be the case) but more likely aerobic fitness needs to be worked on. Personally I think that your goal of sub 3:26 with that 10 mile time is a soft target. Sub 3:15 should defo be within reach. For your London build up can you list each long run 15 Miles plus and what was your avg pace. Personally I would have run all my long runs for 3:18 in DCM 2012 at 9min/mile with 92min half and 68min 10 mile in the build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Ah mate.... Don't worry...I run haphazardly too....I go week by week but have a loose idea of what I want to do haha

rom wrote: »
    With your detonation in the 2nd half of London and you being better at distances up to half improving your aerobic fitness will benefit you a lot. A dad myself you just have to find smarter ways to run. To and from work if possible or at lunch time then this doesn't eat as much into your family time. With your 63 mins in Dungarvan 12 months ago you will well set at doing a much better half. Your weekly LSR will be key and ensuring that you do it slow enough will also be very important. I don't think 1:34 was too adventurous off the back of Dungarvan. You may think you peaked too early (may be the case) but more likely aerobic fitness needs to be worked on. Personally I think that your goal of sub 3:26 with that 10 mile time is a soft target. Sub 3:15 should defo be within reach. For your London build up can you list each long run 15 Miles plus and what was your avg pace. Personally I would have run all my long runs for 3:18 in DCM 2012 at 9min/mile with 92min half and 68min 10 mile in the build up.

Cheers for the post - running to/from work isn't an option for me unfortunately; I've contemplated lunch time runs but they're not really feasible either given the way my job is going at the minute.

I think my London detonation was more due to injuries in the build-up than anything else tbh....had to seriously cut back in the last 6-8 weeks so lost my edge a bit. If I'd stayed injury free, a sub-3:10 would have been well within range I think :(

In hindsight, I arrived on the start line in a half injured-worn out-stressed out state - the plantar faciitis/achilles issues were bubbling along, work was mental and the first few weeks of the pregnancy were a bit manic as well.

Anyway...that's probably enough whinging & excuses for the moment;).... I'll dig out my stats from last year later on and post them up

Tue 9th - 7.15k - 33:45 mins

About 30 secs outside my season's best for this route - wasn't really focusing on the time though tbh...more the novelty of getting a run in on a midweek evening :D

Couple of slightly disconcertingly familiar twinges & twangs afterwards though so will be dusting off the foam roller this evening

• Advertisement

The Garmin website is acting up at the minute so can't download to excel - have attached (hopefully) a screenshot of my LSR's from Dec 2011 thru to April 2012

3 x 15 Pushups again last night & some core work.

FWIW - my current weight is 76.5 kg (I would have been approx 83kg doing first DCM back in 2003). I think I was pretty much the same weight doing London this time last year.

Tend to lose weight if I'm not training, my glutes and quads have shrunk a good bit over the winter which prob account for most of the drop. Have also cut down on portion sizes and carbs a lot in recent months....normally eat like a horse when training hard.

Meh...late home from work & then took ages to get the little fella down (teething) so didn't make it out last night.

10k yesterday in 49.35

Probably one of my worst ever times for that route but really enjoyed it. The weather was dire, it was nearly dark....i could have happily vegged on the couch instead.

Dragged myself out to battle the hills and high winds and for the first time in ages felt strong throughout and at the end of a run

:mad: This might well turn into a record breaking log....for the lowest number of actual runs logged.

Felt fine after the run on Saturday - it was a challenge but didn't push myself that hard. Was a bit stiff generally on Saturday night but did a bit of stretching before bed & didn't think anything of it.

Woke up on Sunday with weird back pain and sensation around the front of my hip. Decided an bit of foam rolling might sort it out – ended up on the kitchen floor nearly in tears….luckily there was a couple of Difene in the drawer. Swallowed them down and conked out on the couch for an hour….ok-ish after that but need some chiropractic treatment/physio asap :mad::mad::mad:

Unlucky lad. Nothing more frustrating than getting your head in the right space only for your body to head in a different direction. Hopefully it's nothing serious

guinang wrote: »
    Unlucky lad. Nothing more frustrating than getting your head in the right space only for your body to head in a different direction. Hopefully it's nothing serious

I've had flexibility issues for a couple of years....normally go for regular-ish physio and maintenance chiropractic trips to keep on top of it.

I guess 6 months plus of broken sleep and little or no exercise & stretching has left me the way I am - feel about as supple as an ironing board at the minute so need a good pummelling on a treatment table :)

Tues 16th - 7.15k - 32:26 mins

Against my better judgement and any sort of rational logic I decided to go for a quick run last night. Had done a good bit of stretching and exercises in the last couple of days so was itching to get out.

Gorgeous evening, perfect conditions for running and great to get a bit of headspace.

Felt really good all way round and managed a strong 500m sprint to the finish to knock nearly minute off my season's PB for that route.

Will be making a chiropractor appointment for next week though so stay tuned for lots of whinging and whining ;)

I'd hang tough on the running until that visit. Reading through some of the logs here, lots of people who've pushed on through injury have aggravated something forcing them out for longer.

Best of luck with it anyway. I suffer from slipped discs in my neck/top of my back so I feel your pain.

Sat 20th - 7.15k - 34:35 mins

Not good - set out to do a 10k in the gorgeous morning sun....felt very jaded from the off and decided to cut my losses and take the shortcut home.

This felt like a recovery run after a very hard long run or speed session :( Not feeling too hectic after it either to be honest, back is gone very stiff....will be making an appointment today for chiropractor...hopefully can get some treatment tmrw or Weds.

• Advertisement

Does taking the dog for a walk around the village count? ;)
    Finally made it to the chiropractor on Tuesday evening...not as arduous as expected and feeling pretty ok after it.

Might go for a short run this evening if I get a chance

Sat 27th - 8.10k - 40:32 mins

Ended up taking a few days off last week to give my back and general achy-ness a chance to recover. This was a gentle jog in the evening sun to get some (albeit) low mileage into the legs.#

Mon 29th - 7.15k - 32:46 mins

Felt nice and fresh before, during and after this run.

**Major Learning Point Alert**
    My body is currently not in condition to run on consecutive days. "Well d'uh" I hear everyone saying sarcastically (;)) but because of the way things have been for the last few months I've been trying to squeeze in two runs at the weekend and in hindsight, I wasn't in the shape for it at all. It should have been obvious to me before now tbh...10 years running this year and still making rookie mistakes :rolleyes:

Thurs 2nd - 8.25k - 38:00 mins

Another run for the positive bucket - gorgeous evening, felt good and a near 3 min improvement on previous time for this route.

Sat 4th - 7.15k - 33:26 mins

Set out early (around 8.30am) to do a 10k.....felt pretty pooped around 5k and took the shortcut home. It's becoming apparent that I'm not a morning runner :o - had porridge before so fuelling shouldn't have been a problem...just felt jaded and tired.

Tues 7th - 7.15k - 32:30 mins

Was knackered for the last couple of evenings so opted for speed walks with the dog rather than runs. Had a shoite day at work yesterday so was itching to get out and run the stress out of me - lovely evening for running, light wind and temp probably around 11 or 12 degrees.

Felt great from start to finish and could probably have done another mile or two if I'd had more time.

Might look at doing a 10k race later in the month - the Bilboa 10k (which I've done for 6yrs in a row) is only about 6 wks away now so need to start getting into shape for it.

Fri 10th - 8.25k - xx:xx mins

A naked run due to my Garmin battery going after 2k - nice to finish off the week with a run. Would estimate I was around the 38 min mark

Sun 12th - 10k - 48:08 mins
    My LSR :o Windy conditions but felt pretty decent without pushing myself too hard. Can't see myself going much under 45 mins for 10k this summer

Tues 14th - 7.15k - 32:22 mins

Another PBPB (Post Baby Personal Best) - got absolutely soaked to the bone but very enjoyable run. Still miles off where I was this time last year but making decent progress now i think

Starting to feel like a runner again after months of fearing I was becoming a jogger :eek:

Fri 17th - 7.15k - 31:45 mins
    Finally starting to get a wee bit of speed back - great way to end a crappy week at work

Sun 19th - 10k - 47:42 mins
    Had planned to do a 15k run today but got sidetracked all day with other bits and bobs so ended up just doing 10k in the dusk. Went ok - felt a bit leggy between 5 and 8k for some reason but felt reasonably ok and might push on now a bit with distance over the next couple of weeks.

Still not sure about entering races in the next few weeks :confused: Might give one a go I guess as a gauge of where I'm at

Tues 21st - 8.25k - 36:50 mins

Gorgeous evening for a run - cool, light breeze, prob around 12ish degrees, birds in trees singing, Cartman Jnr. sound asleep at 7.15pm on the button :D:D

Starting to get into shape now where I feel I can start training for a marathon & putting together some longer runs.

Planning & logistics are still going to be a challenge though - used to have endless hours before for driving to suitable long run locations so might have to get more creative and do some exploration around my more hilly local environs.

Probably not going to do Sixmilebridge 10k next Friday, but will deffo be doing Bilboa and Dundrum in the coming weeks. Sub-40 will prob be outside my range I'd say, but if I could get a few decent speed sessions in, a couple of long runs, and if there's a favourable tail wind on the night....who knows ;)

Thurs 23rd - 7.15k - 31:12 mins

Didn't make it out till around 9pm - once again, a glorious evening for running.

Another chunky improvement on the time - dusted down my speed shoes for the first time in nearly a year so that probably explains some of the improvement.

Will hopefully find some time to do a longer run on Sunday....need to add some endurance to my slowly returning speed over short distances

Sat 25th - 10k - 44:39 mins

Chuffed with this run tbh - doesn't look like a great time on paper but even at my peak this time last year I never went faster than low 42 mins for this route. Set out to run at 45 min pace and managed it quite comfortably with (drum roll) a slightly negative split, which is very unusal for me over any distance.

Mon 27th - 7.15k - 32:05 mins

Bonus run :) The missus normally has a course on Monday evenings but it was cancelled this week so freed me up. Went out late and probably a wee bit too soon after dinner so not at 100% but a good way to start the week nonetheless.

Going to pass on Sixmilebridge 10k this week I think and focus on the buildup to Bilboa instead. Still need to do a longer LSR and fit in some intervals along the way

• Advertisement

Thurs 30th - 10k - 47:12 mins

Bit of a plod this one...definitely falling into the junk miles category. Felt a bit leggy and stiff before heading out so took it easy.

Will try to break the 10k ceiling over the weekend

Advertisement