Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rome Total war 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

I don't know how many actually know about that route - seems like a well kept secret!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭thegame983

Depends on whether or not the pre-orders were on Steam too. Lots in the UK I suppose, but Steam/Valve/CA were ripping the rest of us off and many looked elsewhere for a bargain.

Agreed. I pre ordered last night. 31 euro (can't remember the site - but it had good reviews - gamecodesnow or something). Included the Greek states pack & TF2 items. Basically the same price as getting it delivered by amazon. Just waiting for the code which I presume will be over the weekend at some stage. They are also selling the likes of Fifa 14 & Battlefield 4 for the same price as amazon delivered which was the best price I saw for those games too. Presuming this works out fine and I get the code in time I will definitily use them again. Also it's region free none of this VPN nonsense

I don't know how many actually know about that route - seems like a well kept secret!

Is it worth it though? Isn't there a chance you might get banned from steam? I bought Skyrim legendary edition the other day and it was a Russian Key. I kicked up a fuss and they refunded me. The description said that game acheivments wouldn't pop and other stuff. I would want a legit copy just so there's no issues using steamworks in the future.

thegame983 wrote: »
    Is it worth it though? Isn't there a chance you might get banned from steam? I bought Skyrim legendary edition the other day and it was a Russian Key. I kicked up a fuss and they refunded me. The description said that game acheivments wouldn't pop and other stuff. I would want a legit copy just so there's no issues using steamworks in the future.

Depends on the game - some are region locked and therefore require you to use VPNs to unlock/play. These are totally not worth it imo, and could indeed result in a ban. However RIITW isn't region locked, and we're talking about the Steam version here (not just a key) so it can be freely traded and gifted.

Depends on the game - some are region locked and therefore require you to use VPNs to unlock/play. These are totally not worth it imo, and could indeed result in a ban. However RIITW isn't region locked, and we're talking about the Steam version here (not just a key) so it can be freely traded and gifted.

Ah. Crafty. They actually had an other option for RTW2 with a Russian flag beside it for a few quid less but I ignored it. So I could have actually bought it and it would have been fine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭coolguyrko

Ah. Crafty. They actually had an other option for RTW2 with a Russian flag beside it for a few quid less but I ignored it. So I could have actually bought it and it would have been fine?

Probably but I'm not sure if its exactly the same thing as what we have. Mines in my games library now waiting for the download :) excited and impatient :P

We can pre load it today and then all we have is the day one patch(including Pontus) on launch day. Also gives the activation time
    https://m.facebook.com/TotalWar?id=113800552028487&_rdr

We may or may not have a problem but I think we are ok. Look at the link on the Facebook page about restrictions.

Quick question about gifting (slightly off topic). If an American Steam member gifts you a game will it work on a european steam account? I've been looking at steamtrades but most of the people are American (I presume). Would a 'gift' traded with them work on my machine? Thanks

coolguyrko wrote: »
    We may or may not have a problem but I think we are ok. Look at the link on the Facebook page about restrictions.

We're grand. Messaged you on Steam!

• Advertisement

Quick question about gifting (slightly off topic). If an American Steam member gifts you a game will it work on a european steam account? I've been looking at steamtrades but most of the people are American (I presume). Would a 'gift' traded with them work on my machine? Thanks

That is where I got mine. It should work perfectly.

That is where I got mine. It should work perfectly.

Cheers m8

Cheers m8

Find a reliable trader first. Me and mcsasquatch got ours off a Spanish guy.

Depends on whether the game is region locked or not. If it's not (and only a handful are region locked in all territories), it'll be fine. I've been told that sending the game as a gift removes the region locking but I really haven't looked into that further.

When trading, you can see the game's description in the trade window, and any region restrictions will be listed there. One of the Russian traders on SteamTrade.com has a list of games he won't trade due to region restrictions. I'll see if I can find it again, but there are even less regional locks on US versions of games. Deep Silver games (Dead Island etc) and a couple of others are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head which are restricted in all regions.

Further to that, you can check if a game is region locked in advance by checking the actual regional Steam store page for the game. For example, here's the Russian Steam store page for the new Splinter Cell. You can see the orange box warning about restrictions. Looking at it there, and it actually says you can't gift it to other territories. Clears that up! Other games though, including Rome II, don't have that warning.

Oh and to get back to the European version of the store, change the RU in the url to NL (or better yet, install Steam All Region Price Checker if you're using Chrome - just follow the links in the dropdown box to navigate between regional stores).

Worked. Pre loading as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

Do any of ye know what the craic is with nuuvem? I presume I won't be able to get the steam code until the 3rd?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Worked. Pre loading as we speak.

No fair,have to wait till week till I get my key :O

How long did it take at what speed? Playing empire with friends now but I'll load it up shortly

• Advertisement

How long did it take at what speed? Playing empire with friends now but I'll load it up shortly

I've downloaded about 80% in less than 3 hours @ 10m/sec which is far too fast for a 35 gig download. I'm suspicious. Think there might be a fair chunk still to go next tuesday

I've downloaded about 80% in less than 3 hours @ 10m/sec which is far too fast for a 35 gig download. I'm suspicious. Think there might be a fair chunk still to go next tuesday

It's only 9.9GB apparently or so I've read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

We can pre load it today and then all we have is the day one patch(including Pontus) on launch day. Also gives the activation time
    https://m.facebook.com/TotalWar?id=113800552028487&_rdr

heh cool. We get it in the morning of the 3rd :)

heh cool. We get it in the morning of the 3rd :)

At 8 that morning. Still have stuff to download that day tho but shouldn't take long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

It's only 9.9GB apparently or so I've read.

Read on Total War Center Forums;
    Just to clear some things up guys don't panic- 9.9gb is correct, it will uncompress to a larger size at launch. The game will not be the full 35gb noted in the recommended specs at launch because that includes an estimate of additional space for future content updates, temporary disc space needed at install and so on. The actual size of the game on your hard drive at launch once you’ve finished installing will be around 18gb.

grizzly wrote: »
    Read on Total War Center Forums;

Yep. Knew it would uncompressed but didn't know the final size. Should not take long on release day so.

So do you all know who you're going to play as yet in your first grand campaign? Difficulty level(s)?

So do you all know who you're going to play as yet in your first grand campaign? Difficulty level(s)?

Rome on some variation of normal. May eventually go with Sparta on legendary because apparently they are one of the hardest to start as.Probs go Rome,Carthage,some tribe and then Athens or Sparta on an easier difficulty and eventually work up to legendary

Yeah in fairness I will have to start with Rome. I'm sure their factions will have the most political intrigue and all that. After that dunno. Maybe the Seleucid empire on hard difficulty. I've played as the Spartans on RTW with the Realism, 7 mod and game was long. 100 plus hours and I only took the Peloponnese and some of mainland Greece so I think I've had enough of the Spartans at this stage

• Advertisement

Suppose I'll start with Rome myself. After that though, I've no idea. Love me a bit of barbarian action, and Carthage is always an interesting one. But I may go for an Eastern faction as I didn't play as any of them in the original. Maybe Pontus seeing as they'll be available. Been a while since I played any TW though, so I may start on medium difficulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I find it amusing that amazon have yet again dropped the price for my pre-order of RTW2. Originally it was at £30, then 27-something, now its dropped again to £25.62 (would be £25 in Uk but VAT recalculated for RoI)

It's price garunteed on Amazon so you should only pay £25. Man I hope they send it early :cool:

Actually some Desert Warfare with Parthia would be nice. Pour some gold down the throat of Marcus Crassus.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here but if anyone wants to do some 'catch up' on the Roman world before Wednesday I would highly reccommend watching HBO's 'Rome'. Fantastic show up there with the Sopranos & the Wire for quality. Ciaran Hinds, an Irish actor, play Julius Caesar. Which is nice.:cool:

I'll have to start out as the Romans. Wouldn't feel right if I didn't give them a go first. Does anyone know if there is any difference between which family you start out with if you go with the Romans? Do they have any bonuses, etc?

I'll have to start out as the Romans. Wouldn't feel right if I didn't give them a go first. Does anyone know if there is any difference between which family you start out with if you go with the Romans? Do they have any bonuses, etc?

Yes there are. If you go to the lets play video with the Carthage campaign. I think they actually tell you the roman bonuses for each family.

• Advertisement

I recall seeing on TW forums somewhere that the 3 different families will have different bonus/ traits. The Julii have certain war bonuses but everyone hates them, the Brutii have good farming bunuses (i think) and maybe some Hellenistic/ Greek traits. Not sure about the scippii, but yeah they're a bit different.

Thinking about it I'd love to see a 3 staged campaign like Napolean. Stage 1 - you take control of Rome as it expands through Italy ending with the war against Pyruss. Stage 2 - The Punic wars where you take control of the scipii family. Stage 3 - Complete world map where you take control of either the Caesar, Pompey or Crassus and their quest for world dominence and subsequent civil wars.

Of course you can play the 'normal way' but this would be a good way of bringing in certain historical battles etc.

I'm a Roman History nerd :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I'm highly dubious that my PC will run this well, but I've waited so long for this game so pre-ordered with Amazon, not bad at 25 quid.

Looking forward to wiping Rome off the map. Carthage shall rise again!

I recall seeing on TW forums somewhere that the 3 different families will have different bonus/ traits. The Julii have certain war bonuses but everyone hates them, the Brutii have good farming bunuses (i think) and maybe some Hellenistic/ Greek traits. Not sure about the scippii, but yeah they're a bit different.

Thinking about it I'd love to see a 3 staged campaign like Napolean. Stage 1 - you take control of Rome as it expands through Italy ending with the war against Pyruss. Stage 2 - The Punic wars where you take control of the scipii family. Stage 3 - Complete world map where you take control of either the Caesar, Pompey or Crassus and their quest for world dominence and subsequent civil wars.

Of course you can play the 'normal way' but this would be a good way of bringing in certain historical battles etc.

Excellent idea for a scenario!

karma_ wrote: »
    I'm highly dubious that my PC will run this well, but I've waited so long for this game so pre-ordered with Amazon, not bad at 25 quid.

Carthago delenda est.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was DLC tbh

• Advertisement

Carthage will burn!!!!!! For the Power and Glory of the Roman Empire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Carthago delenda est.
    Carthage will burn!!!!!! For the Power and Glory of the Roman Empire.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Oh I'll make a way.......

All I want to be able to do in this game is to destroy a larger force with a double envelopment a la Hannibal @ Cannae. I've tried in previous games but have never been able to do it 100%.

C'mon RTW2 show me what you've got.:pac:

All I want to be able to do in this game is to destroy a larger force with a double envelopment a la Hannibal @ Cannae. I've tried in previous games but have never been able to do it 100%.

C'mon RTW2 show me what you've got.:pac:

I'd much rather weaken my centre. Drawing them in and then enveloping they're flanks. Then I use some cav to go round the back and make sure they are completely enveloped.

Most of the time my cav are sacrificed tho so I usually just engage in the centre and flanks.

I'd much rather weaken my centre. Drawing them in and then enveloping they're flanks. Then I use some cav to go round the back and make sure they are completely enveloped.

Agreed. That would be much better. Always put my worst infantry in the middle, but the enemy usually routes before I get them completly encircled. Damn.

*furiously takes notes for upcoming MP battles*

Agreed. That would be much better. Always put my worst infantry in the middle, but the enemy usually routes before I get them completly encircled. Damn.

I actually managed it playing the AI with a friend last night. Out light infantry on the ridge in Syrian ridge. My friend has his superior line infantry. All my infantry was well behind the ridge with my 64 pounders. Light infantry was routed quick enough. When they took the ridge my 64 pounders hammered them hard. They pushed on.to go up against my line infantry. Had some light infantry and the elites hidden slightly behind the ridge. Their army came forward I hit them in the flank with the elites. From in front with my cannons and my friend attacked with cav from behind and in the other flank with his infantry. Was pretty fun. Wasn't even the plan it just happened that way.

I actually managed it playing the AI with a friend last night. Out light infantry on the ridge in Syrian ridge. My friend has his superior line infantry. All my infantry was well behind the ridge with my 64 pounders. Light infantry was routed quick enough. When they took the ridge my 64 pounders hammered them hard. They pushed on.to go up against my line infantry. Had some light infantry and the elites hidden slightly behind the ridge. Their army came forward I hit them in the flank with the elites. From in front with my cannons and my friend attacked with cav from behind and in the other flank with his infantry. Was pretty fun. Wasn't even the plan it just happened that way.

Nice! Out of interest what difficulties do guys normally play on. I generally got hard on the campaign map & normal for battles. Does anyone play on the hard difficulty for battles? What's it like. By playing hard on the campaign it usually means I don't have the funds to spam armies so I can't go around decimating my enemies. also the enemy builds some decent sized armies, not smalll ones that can easily be destroyed

Is the enemy AI any better or are they just tougher (harder to route)? I suppose this question is moot as we don't know yet what the new game will be like.

I'm in work with literally nothing to do.

Nice! Out of interest what difficulties do guys normally play on. I generally got hard on the campaign map & normal for battles. Does anyone play on the hard difficulty for battles? What's it like. By playing hard on the campaign it usually means I don't have the funds to spam armies so I can't go around decimating my enemies. also the enemy builds some decent sized armies, not smalll ones that can easily be destroyed

Is the enemy AI any better or are they just tougher (harder to route)? I suppose this question is moot as we don't know yet what the new game will be like.

I'm in work with literally nothing to do.

I usually go Normal/Normal. Might try hard/hard after I get a few sessions under my belt. Will have to play a bit of Shogun to get back into the swing of things again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement