Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rome Total war 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭coolguyrko

thegame983 wrote: »
    Nice! Out of interest what difficulties do guys normally play on. I generally got hard on the campaign map & normal for battles. Does anyone play on the hard difficulty for battles? What's it like. By playing hard on the campaign it usually means I don't have the funds to spam armies so I can't go around decimating my enemies. also the enemy builds some decent sized armies, not smalll ones that can easily be destroyed

Is the enemy AI any better or are they just tougher (harder to route)? I suppose this question is moot as we don't know yet what the new game will be like.

I'm in work with literally nothing to do.

Generally normal all round because I don't get as much time as I'd like to most of the time. Might go to hard if I'm committed. Played against expert AI last night with 2 friends. 4v4 with an allied AI as well who didnt even bloody help in the battle it still ended up being fairly routine. TBF one of my friends was messing and spammed a massive army of elephants. Basically flattened who he was up against.,

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Anyone ordered from G2play, did you get your steam key yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Nice! Out of interest what difficulties do guys normally play on. I generally got hard on the campaign map & normal for battles. Does anyone play on the hard difficulty for battles? What's it like. By playing hard on the campaign it usually means I don't have the funds to spam armies so I can't go around decimating my enemies. also the enemy builds some decent sized armies, not smalll ones that can easily be destroyed

Is the enemy AI any better or are they just tougher (harder to route)? I suppose this question is moot as we don't know yet what the new game will be like.

I'm in work with literally nothing to do.

I tend to play campaign on hard/battles on normal, at least in Empire/Napoleon TW. Only real problem I had was playing Prussian campaign in ETW earlier this year. For some reason if you chose campaign on hard, virtually every neighbouring faction declares war on you, even the ones you had good relations with, and with the location of Prussia where it is, you eventually end up throwing in the towel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone ordered from G2play, did you get your steam key yet?

No yet,probably monday ,how much did you pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Rome's tech tree for your perusal!

Military tech tree <3 :P I don't bother with the others anyway :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭thegame983

Sweet. First up 'improved ramming'

Sweet. First up 'improved ramming'

Damn we are back to Patricia's euphemisms.....

coolguyrko wrote: »
    Damn we are back to Patricia's euphemisms.....

Sorry. I flew to close to the sun on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

No yet,probably monday ,how much did you pay?

Ah right, I paid €39.

My code is up on Nuuvem now.
    No joy with my computer yet, but will give it a try with the laptop, as it has a new lease of life after a taking it apart, cleaning and some fresh thermal paste.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I just got my culture states pack code from Amazon and game dispatching today.

For the complete novice, there's now a "How to Play" section in the official wiki. :pac:

*starts cramming*

For the complete novice, there's now a "How to Play" section in the official wiki. :pac:

*starts cramming*
    Could probably use that. British campaign everything on hard isn't going so well. Not terrible but I'be been pretty much consolidating rather than expanding and I've lost the thirteen colonies.

slightly off topic here. I'm playing TW Medieval 2 with the stainless steel mod right now. I would say that about 80% of my armies in the field turn traitor and become rebels. Very annoying. I literally have to move an army from city to city to avoid this.

Anyone else have this problem and did you solve it?

• Advertisement

slightly off topic here. I'm playing TW Medieval 2 with the stainless steel mod right now. I would say that about 80% of my armies in the field turn traitor and become rebels. Very annoying. I literally have to move an army from city to city to avoid this.

Anyone else have this problem and did you solve it?
    Haven't had it happen.
    Loyal generals I suppose. Captains will probably be easily bribed.
    Maybe give generals titles. Might make them a little more loyal.

mmm. Didn't know you could give titles. I thought they just aquired them through experience. My Caliphe of Acre and some elite archers I was sending to help in a siege turned on me. Oh well only a few days till R2TW

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

*furiously takes notes for upcoming MP battles*

mwhaha he fell for it lads :D

mmm. Didn't know you could give titles. I thought they just aquired them through experience. My Caliphe of Acre and some elite archers I was sending to help in a siege turned on me. Oh well only a few days till R2TW

Well you can transfer stuf like the duke of York etc. from one genral to another. They usually gain them after 1 turn in a city and then they keep it until they die but if you have the two generals i think in the same army you can drag it to another general and then they have it.

coolguyrko wrote: »
    Well you can transfer stuf like the duke of York etc. from one genral to another. They usually gain them after 1 turn in a city and then they keep it until they die but if you have the two generals i think in the same army you can drag it to another general and then they have it.

Ah yes. I know what you mean. I thought you that I could appoint a Duke of York etc.

• Advertisement

Ah yes. I know what you mean. I thought you that I could appoint a Duke of York etc.

can you march him up to the top of the hill and down again? :)

Should have my computer delivered on the 4th, just a matter of building it and getting **** installed.
    Looks like I won't have to depend on my laptop to play for too much.

Should have my computer delivered on the 4th, just a matter of building it and getting **** installed.
    Looks like I won't have to depend on my laptop to play for too much.

Lucky you :P built mine earlier in the summer. Awful pain in the bollox

I figure it can't be much worse than taking my laptop apart, know a few people that may be willing to lend a hand anyway and may be dropping a few questions on the guys in the PC build forum :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anybody know if play.com do a digital sale for RTW?

They're listing it for €34.99 on their website but I assume that's only for the delivered version - http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/33717302/Total-War-Rome-2/Product.html?searchstring=rome+total+war+2&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anybody know if play.com do a digital sale for RTW?

They're listing it for €34.99 on their website but I assume that's only for the delivered version - http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/33717302/Total-War-Rome-2/Product.html?searchstring=rome+total+war+2&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

They don't,get it off g2play 36.99.

They don't do digital downloads at all. Might have done before they went bust, but now they're pretty much just a collection of merchants.

Cheers for the recommendation, I never heard of g2play before. I had a good look at their website. They have some really nice offers available at the moment... other games I enjoy like Football Manager etc for sale. Most of the games seem to be very reasonably priced. Nice one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Assuming the £25 version on Amazon is the disc. When I get if can I just grab the code off the book/inside the cover and put it into steam and download instead. Currently don't have a DVD drive connected in my desktop and it's the sheer effort of opening the case and unplugging hard drives to free up a sata cable etc etc

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Assuming the £25 version on Amazon is the disc. When I get if can I just grab the code off the book/inside the cover and put it into steam and download instead. Currently don't have a DVD drive connected in my desktop and it's the sheer effort of opening the case and unplugging hard drives to free up a sata cable etc etc

Yep, that's exactly what you'll be able to do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Starts after 1 min...

and this will be me if I don't get an Amazon delivery by Wednesday...

Good find. Disappointed that the AI still doesn't move units off walls being bombarded. And gladiator units? Ugh. But still very excited. Liked the way tents and stalls in the market square were trampled as units moved through them. And really liked the score as well - I loved the score from the original, so was a bit sceptical when Van Dyck wasn't involved in this, but it sounds pretty good so far.

Oh, and four more sleeps. :pac:

Amazon delivered this morning, don't think I can play until release though.

karma_ wrote: »
    Amazon delivered this morning, don't think I can play until release though.

More than likely not. But worth a try :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Have pre loaded it now. Two days and eighteen hours left according to steam.

Not sure when I'll get to play it first though. Possibly Thursday unfortunately.

Think I'll start with the germanic barbarian crowd or maybe athens.

I never really choose rome for some reason.

shoutman wrote: »
    Have pre loaded it now. Two days and eighteen hours left according to steam.

Not sure when I'll get to play it first though. Possibly Thursday unfortunately.

Think I'll start with the germanic barbarian crowd or maybe athens.

I never really choose rome for some reason.

Aye, I have a physical copy in my hand that I can't even install.

Good find. Disappointed that the AI still doesn't move units off walls being bombarded. And gladiator units? Ugh. But still very excited. Liked the way tents and stalls in the market square were trampled as units moved through them. And really liked the score as well - I loved the score from the original, so was a bit sceptical when Van Dyck wasn't involved in this, but it sounds pretty good so far.

Oh, and four more sleeps. :pac:

I've forgot from previous games, but if the defender had rushed the catapults and taken them out before they could punch through the walls, would it be game over for the attacker as that's all he brought? Does the AI ever do this or just wait for the walls to fall?

johnmcdnl wrote: »

Where exactly do you go in steam to enter a game code to install a game if you don't want to do it via the DVD?

Edit : never mind, just checked it out , topbar, Games -> Activate a product on steam

We probably wont see any reviews till Tuesday?

• Advertisement

Have people that ordered off g2play got their steam keys yet or will you only get it last minute?

grizzly wrote: »
    I've forgot from previous games, but if the defender had rushed the catapults and taken them out before they could punch through the walls, would it be game over for the attacker as that's all he brought? Does the AI ever do this or just wait for the walls to fall?

Never saw the AI do that, no - it would either sally before you attacked, or wait inside the walls. But doing that was a tactic I'd use from time to time, especially if I happened to have fast cav inside my walls.

Have people that ordered off g2play got their steam keys yet or will you only get it last minute?

Probably sometime Monday or Tuesday,hopefully Monday though so we can pre load.

New gameplay from the Prologue. Looks like the player has been surprised and doesn't get a chance to put his troops in formation. Although the enemy is so far away he has loads of time to adjust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

You can get it for about €31.75 from Nuuvem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

grizzly wrote: »
    New gameplay from the Prologue. Looks like the player has been surprised and doesn't get a chance to put his troops in formation. Although the enemy is so far away he has loads of time to adjust.

While the AI doesn't seem super at least it doesn't corner camp like they do in Shogun 2,that used to drive me nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Probably sometime Monday or Tuesday,hopefully Monday though so we can pre load.

I would have thought they sent them out already, GMG sent me my code the day preload was available. I usually find G2Play good but I've never actually pre-ordered from them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Haven't preordered it as I won't in the country for a while when it comes out, but I'll be hopping straight on it when I come back. Can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I eagerly await the reviews on this, a little disappointed it requires a steam connection.

Maybe we'll see some reviews tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Slightly off topic but I just d/l the original rome tw from steam, came with the alexander and barbarian extensions foc, do I need to be connected to steam to play them or can I slaughter to my hearts content offline ?

On topic, have to buy a new pc just so I can get rome II.

• Advertisement
Advertisement