Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rome Total war 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Russian traders FTW.

Anyway, less than a month to go and the press coverage is ramping up! This is an interview over on RPS with CA studio head, Mike Simpson.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭coolguyrko

Russian traders FTW.

Anyway, less than a month to go and the press coverage is ramping up! This is an interview over on RPS with CA studio head, Mike Simpson.

Yah defo. Cheers for that. Will definatley be getting more games when they come out from them. Much cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

New gameplay video up folks, Macedon vs Rome!

Keggers2 wrote: »

New gameplay video up folks, Macedon vs Rome!

Spoilers that dev that annoys the **** out of me gets absolutly smashed by the A.I. You have no idea how happy this video made me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

coolguyrko wrote: »
    Spoilers that dev that annoys the **** out of me gets absolutly smashed by the A.I. You have no idea how happy this video made me

Is there ever any benefit in sending skirmishers out ahead of the main body of troops to engage early like he did? It might be more historical but they always seem to either get mowed down by cavalry or else suffer heavy losses when running back to their own lines because of javelins and arrows in their backs. I almost always keep them safely behind my main line, skirmish mode off, and let them lay into the enemy behind the safety of the better armoured troops.

• Advertisement

Is there ever any benefit in sending skirmishers out ahead of the main body of troops to engage early like he did? It might be more historical but they always seem to either get mowed down by cavalry or else suffer heavy losses when running back to their own lines because of javelins and arrows in their backs. I almost always keep them safely behind my main line, skirmish mode off, and let them lay into the enemy behind the safety of the better armoured troops.

Likewise. I can see using them in his manor with the new line of site system tho. Other than that they'll be either tucked behind infantry or just in front to "skirmish" acting as a meat shield for my infantry from javelins/arrows If cav or infantry charge in I can just quickly put them behind my infantry and let them fire from safety and when they run out of ammo support my infantry in a fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I've been playing too much empire/napoleon total war recently, it'll feel strange not being able to mass-grapeshot the enemy lines as they advance :D

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I've been playing too much empire/napoleon total war recently, it'll feel strange not being able to mass-grapeshot the enemy lines as they advance :D

I finally started playing shogun.Have had it since it came out and never really enjoyed. Started a campagin and stuck with it.Still wasnt really a fan. Think it's just the lack of the depth of unit rosters. Kinda enforcing the stereotype that they all look the same :P

Russian traders FTW.

Any idea about the Greek DLC. Will we just download it on first day as well? Because I don't actually have it just rome 2 in my library

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I finally started playing shogun.Have had it since it came out and never really enjoyed. Started a campagin and stuck with it.Still wasnt really a fan. Think it's just the lack of the depth of unit rosters. Kinda enforcing the stereotype that they all look the same :P

Did you get the expansion for shogun? I love the off map arty.

• Advertisement

Nope. Didn't like the original so I said I wasn't going to pay anymore for it than I already had

Any idea about the Greek DLC. Will we just download it on first day as well? Because I don't actually have it just rome 2 in my library

DLC isn't usually handled separately by Steam (ie not given a separate entry in your library), so it'll be downloaded with the main game I reckon.

Forgot to mention as well; all RIITW owners (irrespective of where ya bought it) are goining to be given early access to the TW MOBA type thingy, TW Arena. From TW's Facebook page;
    We’ve just announced that owners of ROME II will get privileged access to the in-development Total War: ARENA when it becomes available – including advanced beta access, exclusive in-game Legion Armoury bonuses and approximately $15 (USD) of in-game currency (terms and conditions apply). Check out www.totalwar.com/arena for more details!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

So I've been hatching a bit of a plan to try and get a few of my friends into playing TW. I asked the guys over at the PC Building forum to spec up a PC that's competitively priced against next gen consoles to try convince them not to buy PS4's/Xbox Bones.

They've come up with something really compelling, just in case you know someone who you might be able to convince to join us; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057010840

Keggers2 wrote: »
    So I've been hatching a bit of a plan to try and get a few of my friends into playing TW. I asked the guys over at the PC Building forum to spec up a PC that's competitively priced against next gen consoles to try convince them not to buy PS4's/Xbox Bones.

They've come up with something really compelling, just in case you know someone who you might be able to convince to join us; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057010840

Evil and dastardly. I paid €600 for mine bare in mind I already had windows 7,disc drive,Case and PSU for free thanks to my brother not starting his build. In the short run I defo have the advantage over next gen consoles. The opening day price plus an extra controller plus sub psn or Xbox live plus the games you want could easily go over €600 on opening day alone. PC games are generally cheaper and if you know how largley(GTA etc) single player games can be acquired for free.Not that I'd do it for total war games but in certain cases I might. Games like spec ops the line come to mind(very good game btw would highly recommend it,never seen a game that makes you feel like such a **** afterwards, really refreshing)

What exactly is total war arena, some sort of mmo ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I really enjoyed that the first playthrough i did, and armstrong cannons, great fun. The expansion is good, but it's very very different from the original campaigns in Rise of the Samurai and Shogun2. Also made me feel pretty guilty for annihilating entire regiments of yari and katana wielding troops with cannonfire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I really enjoyed that the first playthrough i did, and armstrong cannons, great fun. The expansion is good, but it's very very different from the original campaigns in Rise of the Samurai and Shogun2. Also made me feel pretty guilty for annihilating entire regiments of yari and katana wielding troops with cannonfire.
    Fall of the samurai was excellent, my only issue really is I started a campaign recently and put up the difficulty level to hard, and the only real difference I see is that
    A. They do tend to build better units to send into battle.
    B. More people like you a lot less (even those who are meant to be fighting for the same cause i.e shogun or emperor )

yeah i felt that was more awkward than anything else really. Though there's a bunch of things you can do or not do to increase your diplomatic relations.

yeah i felt that was more awkward than anything else really. Though there's a bunch of things you can do or not do to increase your diplomatic relations.
    I had the difficulty on hard, and picked the clan with the hardest starting position. That was grand but im the type who never starts war on allies or friendly nations, so as soon as relations went sour for no reason I had nobody to trade with either, and it became a boring case of letting them come in massive numbers trying to take my castles and them always being defeated. That just repeating itself over and over was enough to make me abandon that playthrough.

Im looking forward to rome though, they look to be doing a mighty job, but in all honesty I might hold off buying it till Christmas at least then the bug fixes will be sorted and I will have some time to play it.

• Advertisement

feck that, day one for me lol

I've been playing and replaying the TW series for so long now it's not even funny. :D

I've been playing and replaying the TW series for so long now it's not even funny. :D
    So have I , I got the original shogun when it was first released.

Medieval was my favourite so far. With shogun 2 close behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Any guesses on what's the minimum Nvidia card needed to max out Rome II @ 1440p (and get a playable speed).

Likewise. Pre loading it and everything :P

:mad:
    grizzly wrote: »
    Any guesses on what's the minimum Nvidia card needed to max out Rome II @ 1440p (and get a playable speed).

Te reccomended specs I'd assume? Dnt know them off hand but that's more the likely what the bare minimum is to run it at high.

:mad:

Te reccomended specs I'd assume? Dnt know them off hand but that's more the likely what the bare minimum is to run it at high.

The recommend are;
    Processor:2nd Generation Intel Core i5 processor (or greater)
    Memory: 4GB RAM
    Graphics:1024 MB DirectX 11 compatible graphics card.
    DirectX®:11
    Hard Drive:35 GB HD space
    Screen Resolution: 1920x1080

This would make anything from a GT 430 up a recommend card. I'm wondering what would be needed turn everything up at 1440p.

The recommend are;

This would make anything from a GT 430 up a recommend card. I'm wondering what would be needed turn everything up at 1440p.

I've no idea why there's an emoticon in my haha. Well apart from those specs I wouldn't really know

I've no idea why there's an emoticon in my haha.

I thought you were pissed off at my question :P

I thought you were pissed off at my question :P

It's probably due to major typos and dyslexia and mainly due to me being too lazy to notice :P

• Advertisement

Did you hurt Tom Cruise again? :D

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Did you hurt Tom Cruise again? :D

anytime i play that campaign i think of that film :D which is why i always go with the Emperor!

This is nice. They've added screenshots (over on the TW Wiki) of the five unique capital cities that will be in the game, ie the cities they have actually based on their real world historic counterpart.

Alexandria
    Athens
    Babylon
    Carthage
    Rome

Me likey.

This is nice. They've added screenshots (over on the TW Wiki) of the five unique capital cities that will be in the game, ie the cities they have actually based on their real world historic counterpart.

Alexandria
    Athens
    Babylon
    Carthage
    Rome

Me likey.
    Saw these earlier. Really nice addition. Also during an ambush your troops will be marching and won't be able to deploy troops. Not entirely sure how it works tho. Probably similar to the start of the battle of tuetonberg Forrest,

Some shenanigans on the high seas.

This makes me want to actually play navel battles instead of automatically hitting auto-resolve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Looks somewhat nice. The physics modelling of the ships ramming each other is fairly ****e. Not that doing that on the fly well would be reasonable for a game. The sea looked stunning though in the stormy conditions at the start of the video.

Still probably won't play sea battles unless I'm looking to protect an army I'm transporting. It looks like it could get confusing.I tend not to build a navy anyway. Will defo look to use them when seiging tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

Alexandria
    Athens
    Babylon
    Carthage
    Rome

Me likey.

That looks really good but I hope the path finding and AI is improved.

It was very easy in the game the AI when outnumbered in a siege, to barricade the main square and the AI would just rush their troops forward unorganised. Although that's arguably what a human general would do, but they would learn after pulling that trick a few times.

That looks really good but I hope the path finding and AI is improved.

It was very easy in the game the AI when outnumbered in a siege, to barricade the main square and the AI would just rush their troops forward unorganised. Although that's arguably what a human general would do, but they would learn after pulling that trick a few times.

There's different capture points in siege battles now though, to prevent exactly that kind of tactic I think. Still have to see this working though. Hopefully it does what it says on the tin.

Generally though, I agree - pathfinding was never one of the series' strong points!

There's different capture points in siege battles now though, to prevent exactly that kind of tactic I think. Still have to see this working though. Hopefully it does what it says on the tin.

Generally though, I agree - pathfinding was never one of the series' strong points!

Exactly as you said new capture points. Gonna miss the castle square. Made some fantastic last stands there. Some heroic victories and heroic defeats. Making sure that for every inch they take it costs them more in blood. Unless they have archers and then I just massacred haha. That's usually when I try sacrifice my cavalry to level the playing field.

• Advertisement

Exactly as you said new capture points. Gonna miss the castle square. Made some fantastic last stands there. Some heroic victories and heroic defeats. Making sure that for every inch they take it costs them more in blood. Unless they have archers and then I just massacred haha. That's usually when I try sacrifice my cavalry to level the playing field.

Yeah, had both heroic victories and defeats on the town/castle square's paving. If the new game gives me the same feeling that those kinda battles did in earlier games, I'll be happy. :)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/fwWrDtkJdTs new rally point. Showing off the phalanx and animations

Just a heads up in case you lads don't frequent the gaming bargains thread.

Rome II TW is available to pre-prder (with the Greek DLC pre-order bonus) on Nuuvem for ~€25 for the next ten hours. Pretty much the cheapest it is anywhere I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

Just a heads up in case you lads don't frequent the gaming bargains thread.

Rome II TW is available to pre-prder (with the Greek DLC pre-order bonus) on Nuuvem for ~€25 for the next ten hours. Pretty much the cheapest it is anywhere I think.

Does this site just give out the stem codes yeah?

Yep!

Sweet!! Will be getting this when I get home! Good find!

Yep!

Is it weird I get a little sentimental about not having discs. Kinda miss having them. Tho to be fair I usually lost them so its probably a good thing there not used as much

Does anyone plan on getting the collectors edition??

Could definitely use that onager for some stress relief at work!

Is it weird I get a little sentimental about not having discs. Kinda miss having them. Tho to be fair I usually lost them so its probably a good thing there not used as much

For me it was the big manuals you used to get with store-bought games - reading them on the bus home from town after buying a new game in EB or Virgin Megastore. :pac: Showing my age there I think.

But nowadays it doesn't bother me so much. If all the media I currently own was physical, I'd need to apply for planning permission for an extension.

Really, really wanted it. But not at that price :(

Nope. Waste of money. Nothing in it warrants an extra €50. And the onager I'm fairly sure with a little ingenuity you could make one yourself.
    Seriously tho possibly the worst special edition of a game I've ever seen. The only things Id want are the cool box the game and the canvas map. Cards dice and Tabula set are essentially worthless. Onager I could take or leave I already have an ezio and matt baker "statue" that I don't even keep out. Tho the onager might go well with my tiny statues of Ajax,Leonidas,Achilles and Artemis that I bought in Greece and Napoleon who's just there in the middle for effect haha.

• Advertisement
Advertisement