Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiritual awareness books?

• 08-04-2013 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

Have read a few books on spirituality but am interested to know what your favourite one is? The one you revert back to that you found very helpful. Am feeling a little out of sync and could do with reading something new that could help me with being positive and uplifting.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

The best I experienced was, to just go into the bookshop and "feel" which books jumps into your eyes...that always helped me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭angelman121

A Course in Miracles

I have read it maybe 10 times over last 15 years, it is overtly Christian which I am not, so I just replace the words God with Love and Christ with Light and that works for me.

Happy Every Day
    P

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mrs SuperPotato

I've also read quite a few over the last number of years, but my favourite is 'The Road Less Travelled'. There's a lot to digest in it, but it just makes so much sense XXX

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

lukesmom I closed your other thread as it was a duplicate of this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I've also read quite a few over the last number of years, but my favourite is 'The Road Less Travelled'. There's a lot to digest in it, but it just makes so much sense XXX

I'm going to buy this :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Spiritual study and reading are very much like food it needs a varied and interesting menu until you find a spiritual path that really appeals to you and calls you to go deeper in such a way that you feel only a need to understand the path and share it with others.I am very happy to share information on spiritual reading that many people have found helpful.

Title ......... Author

The Alchemist .......... Paulo Coelho
    The Power of Now ......... Eckhart Tolle
    A New Earth ........... Eckhart Tolle
    The Prophet........... Kahlil Gibran
    Conversations With God .... Neale Donald Walsch
    Edgar Cayce: The Sleeping Prophet ........ Jess Stern
    There is a River, The Story of Edgar Cayce ..... Thomas J Sugrue
    Love Without Conditions ......... Paul Ferrini
    Living in the Light ........... Shakti Gawain
    The Seat of The Soul ...... Gary Zukav
    Siddhartha...... Hermann Hesse.
    You Can Heal your Life ..... Louise Hay
    A Return to Love .. Marianne Williamson
    To Live Until We Say Goodbye.... Elizabeth Kubler-Ross.
    On Death and Dying ..... Elizabeth Kubler-Ross
    The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success .... Deepak Chopra
    Unconditional Life ...... Deepak Chopra
    What Colour Are You ...... Lilla Bek
    Service of The Race .... Ronald Beesley
    Your Body Speaks Your Mind..... Debbie Shapiro
    The Healing Power Of Illness..... Thorwald Dethlefsen
    The Celestine Prophesy............James Redfield.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kellyg88

I would recommend Reading any of Dr. brain Weiss' books... Very interesting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GoldCobra

I like Osho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I travelled back to my hippy / new age roots when my brother loaned me two Carlos Castenada books, The Wheel of Time and Tales of Power.

To readers not familiar with his work I suggest starting with The Wheel of Time as it is both enlightening and very funny in parts.

A logical companion to any of Carlos's books would probably be The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Roger Buck

The greatest modern spiritual book I ever found was Meditations on the Tarot ...

Rather than repeat myself, I will just paste in something I said at another thread:
    Roger Buck wrote: »
    I have read hundreds of esoteric books, from Alice Bailey, Rudolf Steiner, the Theosophists, Western hermeticists, astrology etc.

Out of all of these the most important one was Meditations on the Tarot.

This is also a book that could conceivably appeal to Irish people who have not rejected their Catholic roots.

For the author is both a Catholic and a hermeticist ...

So two worlds are present in this book that do not usually interact: the esoteric and Catholicism.

The Church's response is striking. The theologian Balthasar elected a cardinal by John Paul II wrote:

"A thinking, praying Christian of unmistakable purity reveals to us the symbols of Christian Hermeticism in its various levels of mysticism, gnosis and magic, taking in also the Cabbala and certain elements of astrology and alchemy.

These symbols are summarised in the twenty-two so-called "Major Arcana" of the Tarot cards.

By way of the Major Arcana the author seeks to lead meditatively into the deeper, all-embracing wisdom of the Catholic Mystery."

If anyone is interested in more regarding this book, here is a review of it at my onsite:

http://corjesusacratissimum.org/2009/05/book-review-meditations-on-the-tarot-anonymous-with-an-afterword-by-hans-urs-von-balthasar/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WilliamMelmoth

One I keep returning too is called "Mans Search for Meaning" by Viktor E Frankl. An essential and influential book that hits like a hammer whilst still remaining practical. Highly recommended.
    I also recommend "The Psychology of Man's Possible Evolution" by Ouspensky.

Advertisement