Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

found this organic fertaliser?

• 08-04-2013 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

any one used this organic fertaliser before?

I have about 1/5 of an acre of a plot which has recently been harrowed up, it was manured 2 years ago... is it too late to mix in some of this fertaliser before i direct sow some of the hardier seeds like carrotts/turnips etc?

advice appreciated :)

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/XxgOoSegalxX/100_0314_zpscc4a69ec.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

No it's not too late. Just have a read on the back what the NPK values are. Different crop types prefer different levels of the different nutrients. That looks like a general fertiliser which would suit most things. But carrots for example, dont like the soil too rich, so you would go easier with it than say with potatoes which are hungrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

Ah okay, cool, I was gonna do the carrotts on a raised bed away from them anyway, the values are NPK 6-8-10 , not sure what that means.. it gives enough feeding for 2 months apparently,

With regards to feeding plants like Peppers/tomatoes/melons/cucumbers, the compost they are in atm gives enough nutrition for the first 6 weeks or so, they'll all be in the greenhouse but i think ill split the cucumbers/tomatoes 50/50 with half outside (proving conditions are okay) to compare results, I have a surplus of young plants atm so It'll be good. I'll raies them in large pots, steaked and supported, when should one feed these?

Sounds good. Those will all prefer a high potash feed, which is what you have there. NPK = Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium. N for good foliage growth, P for root development and K for flowers and fruit. I suppose a true high potash feed would have a higher proportion of K but I think this will do fine. Or if you prefer, pick up some liquid tomato food, it will do all fruiting and flowering plants.
    So once your plants start to set fruit you can start feeding them with that to help develop the fruit and flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

Ok thank you :)

so even if they are in compost, they still wont need feeding until they begin to flower :S

Would a small amount of the general organic NPK fertaliser be ok when i am transferring them to their final planting positions? and then not feed again until they start to flower.

You could work some balanced fertiliser in alright. I believe seaweed meal is great. Look into Osmo products. They are organic and supposed to be the bees knees.
    Having said that, some people swear by the 'treat em mean, keep em keen' philosophy. The idea is that by stressing the plants a bit you encourage them to fruit by making them think they are dying. It's a fine balance but can pay off. It is the fruit you are after in the end, not lovely large plants with lots of lush healthy green foliage :) Personally I will just put fresh compost in the planting hole with a little manure put down deep as a bonus later in the summer when the plant starts to get tired.

Keep your eye on this lady's site, she brilliant. She updates the diary entries down the right hand side every month ...
    http://www.nickykylegardening.com/

Just do as she says and you cant go wrong :)

Have a read last year's tomato report before it gets taken down ...
    http://www.nickykylegardening.com/blog/157-tomato-report-2012

• Advertisement
Advertisement