Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick,probably stupid, question....

Options
  • 08-04-2013 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Does vaping help exercise? I just bought my 1st e-cig last week and so far,so good. But,one of the (many) reasons I wanted to give up smoking was to see an improvement in my fitness. I try to run but the fags were holding me back. Please tell me that this won't be the case with the e-cig!!!
    Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

after a few weeks you'll notice your lungs clearing up as you've quit inhaling smoke, other than that it shouldn't help or hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MazzR

Thanks, wrong use of words there, I meant does it not hinder exercise as much as smoking does!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I can't imagine how it would hinder in any way. Vaping is no worse than using patches or nico-gum regularly. It's the tar, carbon monoxide and tonnes of other gunk in fags that kill the lungs. I know my breathing has vastly improved since I quit those and started vaping, if that's anything to go ob.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

I can't imagine how it would hinder in any way. Vaping is no worse than using patches or nico-gum regularly. It's the tar, carbon monoxide and tonnes of other gunk in fags that kill the lungs. I know my breathing has vastly improved since I quit those and started vaping, if that's anything to go ob.

Studies have shown that vaping reducing lung capacity a bit. No way close to smoking. But still if you're inhaling vapour all the all the time, it stands to reason there's not going to be as much space in there for air anymore. However if you stop vaping I'm pretty sure that would clear up in a matter of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Studies have shown that vaping reducing lung capacity a bit. No way close to smoking. But still if you're inhaling vapour all the all the time, it stands to reason there's not going to be as much space in there for air anymore.

I believe the study showed that WHILE vaping there was not as much oxygen going into the lungs (stands to reason), but the actual lung capacity itself was not decreased by tar buildup in the same way as smoking tobacco.

Your capacity will certainly increase being off the fags, mine has by a huge amount.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭GobblyNob

It takes over two years for the lungs to get back to normal....

But anyway, I cycle an hour a day for work and it's getting easier. When I arrive in work I'm no longer a panting bag of sweat. In fact there's hardly any sweat at all, compared to when I started cycling to work in January. So I guess that means I'm getting fitter.

Although there's one pain in the arse: I've been vaping for 7 months now and I STILL HAVE THE ****ING WHEEZY LUNGS!!! WHEN IS THIS GOING TO GO AWAY??

Anyone?

mine went away in a few weeks.... although I was only smoking for about a decade

Thanks all. I went for a run this evening and felt awful, like I was suffocating. I can't describe the feeling, like I needed to peuk, from my lungs. Hope this passes soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

MazzR wrote: »
    Thanks all. I went for a run this evening and felt awful, like I was suffocating. I can't describe the feeling, like I needed to peuk, from my lungs. Hope this passes soon

You might want to get that checked by a doctor if you can, it could just be a chest infection or you might be allergic to pg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I'm vaping 18 months or so now but I think I'm developing an allergy to PG because I'm getting a bit wheezy at night too. I bought some VG juice and should have it tomorrow or Wed to try out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Have you been off the cigs long? You only bought your ecig a week ago. Even if you haven't had a cigarette since then it'll take a lot longer for your lungs to recover from the damage years of smoking has done.

If this reaction is new (you didn't feel like that when you smoked) you should def see a doctor. Could be an infection or an allergic reaction as Mr. Chrome has said

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭unblvlblkult

In fairness you're only a week off the smokes so give your lungs a chance to clear. Also nicotine is a stimulant and increases you heart rate and blood pressure so if you're going out for a run leave off the e-cig for a few hours before. When you're taking up exercising after a break you should take it easy on yourself. Jog at a comfortable pace... Don't get out of breath and adjust your pace accordingly.

.....and it might be all the crap that has built up in your lungs from smoking clearing itself.

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    .....and it might be all the crap that has built up in your lungs from smoking clearing itself.

That explanation, along with "it's your body clearing toxins" is thrown around way too much in ecig forums.

"Huy guize, i started vapping last week and my leg fell off and my eyes have become gangrenous".

"It's probably just your body getting rid of toxins."

One of my pet peeves of the vape world.

That explanation, along with "it's your body clearing toxins" is thrown around way too much in ecig forums.

Its true with virtually every ex-smoker I know regardless of which method of quitting they chose they were in pieces for weeks / months.

However, yes, it obviously could be an allergy to PG or simply that juice is too strong.

Sorry to say It gets worse before it gets better, I was coughing up ****e for months once I started Vaping full time (I had cut down to 2 or 3 fags a day for 2 years odd).

Once that muck cleared up though I can run, swim and generally exercise without feeling like i'm going to die any given second. Certainly my lung capacity has improved HUGELY and can now hold my breath for almost a whole length of the pool rather than gasping and spluttering 4 or 5 times for air.

Also my BP and heart rate has got to a nice "fit" level (where it had been pretty damn high before), and returns to a resting bpm wayyyyy faster than it did before.

Its really going to depend how long you were a smoker, how many per day, what kind of fags. Just don't expect to go from unhealthy to healthy overnight. Pushing too hard could do you more damage depending on how badly the fags affected you in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

GobblyNob wrote: »
    One of my pet peeves of the vape world.

It's been thrown around forums by people who have been vaping for years because a lot of people have had these temporary effects when giving up.
    If you think it's all bullshítting then come up with your own more probable explanation - until then, Occam's Razor: the simplest explanation is most likely to be correct.

well the fact that "toxins" is one of those undefined bull**** hippy words is a pretty big point in gobbly's favour

now if you'll excuse me, my green tea enema is ready

What's pg? No, today is only day 3 vaping... Might get it checked. Will see how I am later

well the fact that "toxins" is one of those undefined bull**** hippy words is a pretty big point in gobbly's favour

How about: The excess Mucous and Phlegm Starts to loosen its grip of your lungs and throat?

The toxins in this case are not the undefined hippy crap but the 4000+ chemicals that you were inhaling with cigarette smoke trapped in your body that it wants and needs to get rid of. Seeing as the susbstance(s) are not being inhaled anymore its going to want to move while the exit is all clear.
    Smokers frequently suffer mucous build-up in their airways. This condition is referred to as chronic mucus hypersecretion, or CMH. It happens because smokers' lungs make more mucus in an effort to clear away toxins inhaled with smoke. As thick and gooey mucus fills the airways, it gets harder to clear it all away. Bacteria and viruses thrive in these conditions, frequently leading to smokers catching colds.

Increased Production
    Cigarette smoke contains tiny particles, also referred to as particulate matter, of toxic substances. Your body's natural reaction is to get rid of the toxins, and one way to achieve this is to trap toxic particles in mucus and then clear it away. According to a 2010 report in the journal "Toxicology In Vitro," L.E. Haswell et al. were able to demonstrate that cigarette smoke causes the lungs to make more cells which are capable of secreting mucus via a mechanism called mucociliary differentiation. That simply means that production of new cells in the lungs is geared toward making the cells capable of secreting mucus. As more mucus-secreting cells are made in the smoker's lungs, they produce more mucus.

Decreased Clearance From Airways
    There are miniature hairs in human airways called cilia. Cilia move rhythmically to clear away mucus, a process referred to as mucociliary clearance. Smoking causes slower movement and shorter length of cilia, as reported in PLoS One by P.L. Leopold and colleagues in 2009. As smokers produce more mucus to begin with, damaged cilia can't keep up with clearing away the mucus from the airways.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/272110-smoking-mucus/#ixzz2PxBntisP

Course there is no scientific evidence that vaping doesn't have a similar effect on the lungs, even if it is, perhaps (hopefully), to a lesser extent. Cig. smokers can excersize regularly and have quite good physical signs; hell it'll even help their lungs clear and increse capacity; it doesn't mean their lungs/bodies aren't under attack from all the nasties.

Simplest explaination, to my mind at least, is that OP hasn't been excersizing much, he's not in the best of shape and now that he's quit the smokes and got a bit of positivity he's going at it gung-ho.

quitting smokes does not equals fit take it easy on yourself and go at a pace that is comfortable; you'll enjoy it more and be more likely to keep it up. my €.02

• Advertisement

What's pg? No, today is only day 3 vaping... Might get it checked. Will see how I am later

Juice is usually made up of a combination of pg-propylene glycol and vg-vegetable glycerin. Some use 100% of either. Some people are allergic to pg so they use vg only.
    Sounds more like your just clearing out your lungs but if it continues get it checked.
    Just make sure your legs and eyes havent fallen off, cause that could be bad man!!
    Peace out ;-)

Quote:
    Simplest explaination, to my mind at least, is that OP hasn't been excersizing much, he's not in the best of shape and now that he's quit the smokes and got a bit of positivity he's going at it gung-ho.

No, I wouldn't consider myself very unfit, run 5-10k 4-5 days a week and do workout dvds everyday as well as cycle, just that I expected to feel better fagless while exercising,not worse.
    Oh, and I'm a she!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Fair play, I'd find it hard to run up a few flights of stairs!

Try to give your body some more time to adjust to not smoking, I felt a little uncomfortable at first with it, strange chest feeling, even the odd palpatation after I switched to vaping, I put it down to adjusting to the lack of smoking rather than vaping.

The benefits, (return of sense of smell/taste, better lung capacity etc) took a couple of weeks to kick in for sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Quote:
    ...I expected to feel better fagless while exercising,not worse.

Have you tried to quit before? The majority feel worse before they feel better, no matter what the quitting method is.
    Quitter's flu is very common and despite what's said in online articles it seems to have very little to do with nicotine withdrawal, otherwise ecig users either wouldn't get it or wouldn't suffer as severely as somebody who quits cold turkey (the nicotine delivery isn't as efficient but neither were the weeks where I tried weaning and had 3-5 a day and suffered no quitter's flu), so they'll have to search for a new scapegoat to blame that on.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

No, I wouldn't consider myself very unfit, run 5-10k 4-5 days a week and do workout dvds everyday as well as cycle, just that I expected to feel better fagless while exercising,not worse.

There's been many people who have reported health issues when stopping smoking and starting vaping. Ranging from sore throat, to dry lips, to dizzy, to coughing. I'm no doctor or health expert at all, so my uneducated observation is that these symptoms are your body adapting to a massive change in chemistry. This adaptation could take a few weeks. Most peoples problems with adapting to the change seemed to go away in a couple of weeks. However everyones wisest advice is to consult a health professional if you're feeling at all uneasy about your health.
    Oh, and I'm a she!!!

Sorry we don't get many women folk round these parts, that and half of us are obviously hippies who say man and dude no matter what gender you might be.

Ah hey hippy dudes!! Thanks for the info. I will relax so and continue

Quote:

Oh, and I'm a she!!!

LOL.. Soz... and that's me told!!:o tho you did say you tried to run but the smokes were holding you back... 20km a week is very respectable

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

As others have said it's probably your lungs clearing out. I'm off the smokes and vaping nearly two months now and it has really helped with the cycling I do - can go faster for longer, probably due to an increase in lung capacity.

Also what was.deevey posted above about smokers build up of excess Mucous and Phlegm was defiantly true in my case - that constant feeling of needing to cough something up got very annoying and worrying. What I found was for a few hard efforts on the bike, was that I was coughing up a load of gunk and I even felt quite ill from it at the time. This was really only for a couple of sessions, so if you're like me it should clear up pretty fast. You could try going out for some runs over the next few days and see does it sort itself out.

Wait till you get your first flu after quitting. The amount of ****e that comes up. Brown porridge is the only way to describe it. Liters of the shtuff.

• Advertisement

Morning dudes, dudettes? Moan if the day: sore throat.
    I gave up last year for four months on the champix but never had these symptoms or coughed up anything...

Advertisement