Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick,probably stupid, question....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

'shampix' aint too popular around these parts. One thing that hasnt been asked is what juice are you using? What mg(strength) is it? What brand? What device and voltage are you using? What have you got on top of your device?
    Seems like alot of info but the more we know, the more we can help.
    I get a sore throat in the mornings(i vape quiet alot in bed while reading or watching vaping vids) all the time but drinking water and coffee gets rid of that.
    I still think the lung thing is simply your lungs clearing themselves of nasty gunk but to be safe get it checked if it continues.
    Tbh its still early days for you and you need to give it a chance, unless it becomes worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭rui1000

try to use a eliquid with higher concentration of vg vs pg ?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Morning chick. Unfortunately I can't really chime in with any definitive advice but of course I'm concerned for you. Maybe see a doctor just to be on the safe side?

The main ingredients (and should be the only ingredients) of e-liquid are
    PG (Propylene glycol which is an approved food additive)
    VG (vegetable glycerin is the same)
    Distilled water (maybe)
    Flavourings (all food approved esp if you buy the liquid for a high quality manufacturer)
    Nicotine (can cause temporary vascular restriction during use and elevated heart rate etc but apart from that it's fairly safe in low doses)

Some people are allergic to PG. So it's possible you're suffering side effects of an allergy. Good news is there are PG free e-liquids out there. Or it could be that you're body is just getting used to this whole new chemistry.

In any case I'm interested to find out what happens to people who suffer some sort of physical effects when switching from smoke to vapour. So far everyone has come round within a few short weeks and end up feeling a million times better. However I'm still interested as I recommend vaping to people and it's good to learn from others experiences. Hope you get sorted. If you're worried at all see the doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

My Father in Law ended up with an extreamly bad throat for a while.

Turned out he didnt realize he needed to put the juice in the cart when it started tasting burned and was just "smoking" the wadding :-s

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MazzR

Don't think they are the thing around here but "greensmoke" is what I got. I'm finding it the business. Havent even had to charge it yet. Saw it in local chemist last week and said i'd give it a whirl as i know nothing about all the ones on the market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

I found I had a dry/sore throat for a couple of weeks and was dehydrated. Just drank plenty of water and it passed quickly.

I don't know the pg/vg ratio for the brand you're using - does it say it on the box? How often do you change the cartridge? If you're using a dry carto I can imagine that wouldn't be good for the throat either

No,it doesnt say on the box.

I'd say that will be a PG/VG mix more than likely.

You can refil the cartomisers (the things that look like a filter). If you buy a bottle of e-liquid it's much cheaper than buying prefilled cartomisers. The hard part is finding an e-liquid you really like.

This video shows how to refil one.
    http://youtu.be/CeaqRV4PmzA?t=1m54s

If you take off the little while end cap you can look inside and see the filler material, after some time and experience you can gauge by the look of the filler material how full or empty it is.

You can refil them a few times before they get a little clogged up or the coil burns out and the cartomiser needs to be disposed.

So like Septbaby says make sure you don't vape it to the point it's dry and burning. You will be able to tell, but some people you have to point out to them this can actually happen :) Also like Septbaby says vaping dehydrates you. Something about the PG and VG actually pulling extra moisture from your mouth out with the vapour. So drink an extra glass or two of water a day. We should all drink more water anyway :) Now this vaping gives us a reason too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

StickyIcky wrote: »
    I'd say that will be a PG/VG mix more than likely.

You can refil the cartomisers (the things that look like a filter). If you buy a bottle of e-liquid it's much cheaper than buying prefilled cartomisers. The hard part is finding an e-liquid you really like.

This video shows how to refil one.
    http://youtu.be/CeaqRV4PmzA?t=1m54s

If you take off the little while end cap you can look inside and see the filler material, after some time and experience you can gauge by the look of the filler material how full or empty it is.

You can refil them a few times before they get a little clogged up or the coil burns out and the cartomiser needs to be disposed.

So like Septbaby says make sure you don't vape it to the point it's dry and burning. You will be able to tell, but some people you have to point out to them this can actually happen :) Also like Septbaby says vaping dehydrates you. Something about the PG and VG actually pulling extra moisture from your mouth out with the vapour. So drink an extra glass or two of water a day. We should all drink more water anyway :) Now this vaping gives us a reason too :P
    I still have the vip ciggs that I started on,meaning to start on the juice starter kits but this is still going,could i put juice in to that and can some one tell me what the proper name is for what I am smoking now and the name for what the guy has in the video,is mine disposable and his juice or is that then confusing it with these one-of disposable jobbies that are bought in Centra etc.Its just that I find I cant explain it properly to people when I am trying to explain to them that there are better options for them than what i have when they say mine is very weak.

Okay the cigarette like batteries are called 510 batteries
    http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0150/6402/products/e-cig-510-battery_large.jpg?475

The bigger 'pen sized' or small cigar sized one are eGo batteries
    http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/640151658/the_best_quality_ego_battery_650_9001100mah.jpg

I THINK both give out 3.7 volts of power.

The atomiser (which heats the liquid creating the vapour) can be of various 'resistance' usually from 1.8 ohms to 2.8 ohms. The lower the resistance the more power (or watts) comes out of the battery.

So if you want a really good hit, use a low resistance atomiser, but because it uses more power your battery doesn't last as long. Visa versa for high resistance.

Also you can get eGo Twist batteries which have a little power nob on the end. You can change the voltage from something like 3.2 Volts to 4.8 Volts. So you can adjust the power on the fly. This is known as variable voltage.

You probably can put juice into your VIP kit but I dunno.... if the cartomiser looks like the one in that video then yes. I dont' know much about VIP except that they aren't disposable as such. The battery is rechargable. The cartomiser is probably disposable but it can probably be refilled too.

You can only refil a cartomiser a few times before it starts to perform poorly and needs to be replaced completely (i.e. chuck in it in the bin and start using a fresh new one.)

Hope that is what you wanted to know exactly and answers all your questions without it being confusing.

• Advertisement

DO ye know what? I have been up since 6.30,in bed since 10pm last night and haven't vaped since before bed! I'm thinking i'll keep goin without and see how I get on...This is new to me. I've given up once before like I said previously on champix but still craved. I tried giving up before with patches,inhaler,cold turkey but never lasted a day and was always extremely moody. But, this time feels good. And i know ots not even a full 24 hours without vaping but even in the last few days,it was only a quick puff every few hours. So, maybe I don't belong here...

You can use vaping as a cessation aid. I vape feck all really. I just enjoy it from time to time. Few times a day. Constantly if I drink. I've gone days without it.

Personally I think if you can take it or leave it, that's the way to be. If you do feel like inhaling something, inhale an e-cig. If you don't good on you. Cigarettes are far more addictive as they have other chemicals which increase the effects and addictiveness of nicotine plus all the other chemicals your body is used to getting. Vaping has a handful of chemicals, all of which are relatively harmless, cigs have hundreds of harmful ones.

I wouldn't want to be particularly addicted to nicotine or alcohol or anything. But I think I am addicted to cups of tea... I could go without vaping but I couldn't go without cups of tea. Anyways, if you don't belong here then I'd be perfectly happy with that dude ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

...if you don't belong here then I'd be perfectly happy with that dude ;)

Meeeeeeeow.

Oooh Meeeeeeeeeow is right!!!! What did I do???

Nooooo I didn't mean it that way! Crap when you highlight that part and put meow it does seem a bit harsh alright.

No I mean't if you're happy off the smokes and not vaping entirely then more power to you. In that regard, if you're saying you don't belong here then I'm happy for you (dude-ette)

Jeezzzz. :P

I know Grindles just messing with me but since ur new around here maybe you .. I dunno Imma shuddup now before I say anything else *zip*

Oh yeah, MazzR and me planned this days ago... All went according to plan.
    *zip*
    But it wasn't that good that I'd unzip myself. WTF is wrong with you? :eek:

Maybe my feelings were hurt *sniff*. (Most likely cause I'm a girl). :D
    JOKE!!!!! Ok

MazzR wrote: »
    (Most likely cause I'm a girl). :D
    JOKE!!!!!

I knew you had to be joking about being a girl. I mean what girl would hang out with us!?!
    grindle wrote: »
    But it wasn't that good that I'd unzip myself. WTF is wrong with you? :eek:

See what I mean! :pac: Well dudes I'm glad that's all sorted now! :D Eveything back to normal nothing to see here nothing to see here.

Thanks for that Sticky.Running out of the vIP soon,so wondering if I take a step up now on a starter juice or take a chance on going cold turkey.

Pick up a cheap starter set at the very least, just in case. If you slip and go back on cigs it'll cost a lot more than having a backup.

• Advertisement

tipptom wrote: »
    Thanks for that Sticky.Running out of the vIP soon,so wondering if I take a step up now on a starter juice or take a chance on going cold turkey.

Get a starter kit.

Ya,I think ye are right,went to the pub last week with the VIP and a little black vaporiser as a back up,both went.Bought 20 Silk Cut.Long night,said to the OH next moring that there is 10-11 ciggs left there for you and was informed with a haughty laugh that there was 3 left:eek:.

Anybody caught out like this and have to listen to everyone saying,"thought you were of the fags"or did you just run for the hills like I have done on a more disiplined night.

I wouldn't go out to the pub unless I had two fully charged batteries and two full tanks of juice. Also I'd like to have another spare e-cig with me for anyone that wants to try it out. I've even had lend a spare one a person and they tell me they liked it and they didn't have to go out for a fag all night and were bloody impressed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

I had flu like symptoms when I swapped to vaping, for about a week. Had a really nasty sore throat, what felt like a raw spot on the back. I persevered. I managed to have 3 ciggys in teh 3 days that followed each time my throat swelled up with pain. Vaping a month no and no cigs since. Apparently Tobacco Smoke has an anesthetic effect on the throat. Very slyly masking any pain the smoke is actually causing.

I had a feeling the juice (80% PG) was also to blame and im pretty sure it was. I got a Mamma's and Pappa's Yum from ESI yesterday which is 50/50 and its really smooth, smoother that the 70/30 I have been vaping the last month.

Apparently ESI will make any combination of Juice you want, I haven't tried but they are such a good retailer I wouldn't doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Just popping in to show some solidarity as another female vaper :) I've been off the smokes for about 6 weeks now and am as happy as anything :D I've never been one for running when I could walk, but can report a definite improvement in fitness levels in the past couple of weeks - no more huffing and puffing! I've not experienced the coughing up of copious amounts of phlegm that I've seen others report, but my morning cough is a lot better than it used to be, and my chest doesn't gurgle any more.

My only symptom since starting to vape has been dry, almost chapped, lips - but then again that could be down to the weather, and they could simply BE chapped, as opposed to drying out 'cos of the vaping.

I live in dread of battery death, so have a couple of those disposable e-cigs (plus some rechargeable ones) to hand as back up in case the worst happens (I have 5 batteries in total, but 2 are in the UK, and one has just been appropriated by the husband, since his decision to join me in vaping, 2 nights ago). I need to get some more :) Having the disposables to hand means that I should never be in the position of having no choice but to have a cigarette if all my batteries fail at the same time - an unlikely scenario, but it's always best to prepare for the worst!

Anyway, the need to get some more batteries (I favour eGo types) has given me the perfect excuse to go looking for girlie looking ones - pink, or there's a load of pretty designs, too. The girlier the better, since it'll put the husband off nicking them in future :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

I have the chapped lips too - but it's a small price to pay! I got some Burt Bees lip balm last week and it really helps. Used to use the Boots ones but they just weren't doing the job at the moment.

And I have a bad case of paranoia about finding myself out and about and my battery dying/juice running out. Even when I pop out to the supermarket I bring two batteries and a bottle of juice. The disposable cig idea is great - must get a couple myself and keep them in my bag and car in case of an emergency. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Anybody caught out like this and have to listen to everyone saying,"thought you were of the fags"or did you just run for the hills like I have done on a more disiplined night.

Used to always use the excuses "its only one night", "I ran out of battery" , "ran out of juice" , "the cart was burning" , "couldnt get it to work" , "its too big" ...etc etc ... blagh blagh...

For home and the car I use an aga-s now and for out and for nights out a small dripper and a bottle of juice which I can top up easily and is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket without needing a case or even lanyard.

Awesome Vape quality Everytime, and I just need to keep one extra battery on my person @ all times.

Oh and for chapped lip - not using metal direct to my lips was the key for me - it just got too damn hot, most carto's will fit a regular plastic drip-tip which will help.

8486421951_e976bfe570.jpg

Beside an Ego 1100 for comparison - dripper on the right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Hate vaping in pubs tbh, the looks you get and questions you have to answer do my head in. I always head out to the smoking area, craic is usually better in the smoking area anyhow :-P

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    Hate vaping in pubs tbh, the looks you get and questions you have to answer do my head in. I always head out to the smoking area, craic is usually better in the smoking area anyhow :-P
    Oh,I am the same,I go out with the rest even if it was ok to smoke in my local,never asked.
    To be honest,as someone who worked in and managed pubs,I would not let people vape because you will always have lads lighting up and saying sure he is smoking even though they know right well that it is an electronic cig,to much hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ive been allowed vape in any pub ive been in, so long as it didnt look like a cigarette

provari with a bulli, or a throathit with a boge carto... don't really look like cigarettes

Advertisement