Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer randomly crashes during gaming

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'd move both hard disks to the bottom bracket and leave more space between them. That's a 5 minute job that might improve things just enough :)

BTW modern graphic cards can operate normally up to 120C. 90C should not be a problem at all, especially if it only rarely hits these temperatures.

Perhaps your problem is your graphics driver...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

BTW modern graphic cards can operate normally up to 120C. 90C should not be a problem at all, especially if it only rarely hits these temperatures.

They really can't. I get similar crashing if I allow my card to go over 75c-80c but it's highly overclocked. His card is factory overclocked. Like he said it only does it during gaming. If it's hitting the 90's that could be enough to cause crashing with an overclocked card.

It's either that or a faulty memory module.

Accoring to Nvidia the maximum operating temperature is 97C

That's probably a safe limit, for warranty reasons etc.

Wikipedia (I know :D) state that modern Nvidea cards work up to 120C

OP has seen 90C once or twice. Normally he is in the 60-80 range

This is well within range

I know some people are rather (very) safe than sorry ;)

But to tell a gamer he should tune down his card (thus taking away from his gaming experience) is not the first advice that should be given imho

According to wikipedia. Really? Their stability is directly connected to their operating speed and temps. The higher the clock speeds the lower the temps need to be for stability.

That's why you see crazy high overclocks with liquid nitrogen cooling. That's why my card need's to be kept below 80c to be stable and I'd imagine that's why the op's card is crashing.

He hasn't recorded his temps properly. He's alt tabbing out to check them. I can bet they are hitting the mid 90's at times.

I told him he needs to improve his cooling and change his case. For testing purposes he could dial down his clocks and/or turn up the fan speed to see if it's stable to identify if it is the problem. You don't pay that kind of money for a card like that to have it operating in the 90's.

BloodBath wrote: »
    He hasn't recorded his temps properly. He's alt tabbing out to check them. I can bet they are hitting the mid 90's at times.

You could be right there. Which means I was right too ;)

Why don't you suggest a better method for the OP to check / record his temps?
    I told him he needs to improve his cooling and change his case. For testing purposes he could dial down his clocks

Not quite what you said though either, is it?
    Either dial down your clocks or improve your cooling.

• Advertisement

Why are you nit picking my posts when you come in with the godly advice obtained from wikipedia that he would be fine running his card at 120c.?
    Why don't you suggest a better method for the OP to check / record his temps?

Oh I thought I had already.
    Alt tabbing out to check temps during gaming is not ideal as the core temp will drop straight away. You want something that will record your max temps while playing. I think afterburner does this as well.

Oh I thought I had already.

Missed that, my apologies
    you come in with the godly advice obtained from wikipedia that he would be fine running his card at 120c.?

Where did I say that? I said that running his card at 60-80C during gaming with very occasionally hitting a 90C is perfectly fine

Telling the OP in your first post that he should not get near these temperatures and to dial it down:
    Those cards should not be getting anywhere near those temps.
    Either dial down your clocks or improve your cooling.

Is a bit like - I'll paraphrase your good self:

"You don't pay that kind of money for a card like that to have it operating like a budget card."

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I wouldnt say "fine" running at 120C and I wouldnt say "Fine" running at 90.

You wouldn't really say in an elevator with a max load of 4500kgs and 4200kg aboard and the thing starts creaking when this fat bloke wants to get on the life ya wouldnt say "ah come on in you scraggy lad"

Similarly if my PSU is Rated for 750W I really don't want to run it at 725W all the time. As the components age, these peak values diminish.

There are also some immutable lifetime rules with capacitors that mean that they will operate with a lifespan that is proportional to their operating temperature. Hot components? Short lifespan.

To cut a rant short, the idea here is to get those temps to within the actual "norm" and that appears to be around 60 degrees under load and 30 idle.

Which is why I followed up my first post with more questions and more info. Good god.
    Telling the OP in your first post that he should not get near these temperatures and to dial it down:

Why wouldn't I. These are the solutions to his problem assuming the card overheating is causing the crashing.

I also said it could be the ram. It could be any number of things really but only testing will prove which.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Hi guys, just to note, I didn't alt+tab during the game to take that earlier screenshot of the temps. I pressed Print Screen during the game and it automatically took the desktop screenshot even while I was in-game so I would definitely say the temps are accurate.

So gathering from what's been said, my options are most likely:
    1) Check the RAM - Make sure it's installed correctly, try different slots?
    2) Airflow - i) Increase Fan speeds? ii) Get more fans? iii) Get new case to potentially have more exhaust fans?

Can you mod a case to have an extra exhaust fan even though it potentially might not have been able to have one in the first place? Like can the case be worked on so that I could add another exhaust fan maybe on the top and/or a side panel window?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Weird that with such a decent gpu cooler you're still hitting those temperatures. I wouldn't blame the front intakes either - yes they're obstructed, but over the years I've run machines with no front intakes occasionally and it wasn't a problem even with high end cards, naturally temps were increased but nothing to cause instability or anything close.

I also agree with Unkel, if you're averaging 60-80 and occasionally hitting 90 - whilst not ideal and equally strange for the card you actually have - it's not inherently dangerous. Those cards can operate up to 100c safely, I'd say you'd be looking at 110+ before it physically crashed or crapped out.

Yes you can easily add side fans, use a holesaw to make a hole if there are none, add some mesh and you're set. That said though, in your set up, 2 x intake and 1 large outtake, even if mildly obstructed, should not be causing the unusually high GPU temperatures. I think clearly there's something not quite right with your card. Taking off the cooler, applying new paste, and reseated probably wouldn't be the worst idea even if the crashing is attributable to the ram or another factor.

Right, I did a bit more checking on airflow and the case I got with my new computer. I probably didn't check initially the cooling system on the new case and from what i'v read on the case I got, the case excels in performing quietly at the expense of cooling (which is not what I really need now).

My old case was a silent case also, but it had alot more fans in the case and I guess it did the best of both worlds as I never had any issues with it in terms of cooling.

The new computer case has only 2 areas for the air to come in and out (front and back). My old case had front, back and on top (plus below). I think i'll just have to invest in a new case and while doing so will check the ram when installing everything again.

Just saw your post now. Might look into that either. So remove the cooling and apply the paste to the CPU?

I think that's an overreaction to be honest! I had an even worse system in my old computer - one 80mm intake similarly blocked as yours is, and one 80mm outtake, and I didn't have any problems at all. The thing about cooling isn't that it's the line between functionality and non-functionality; more so it's peoples preferences as to how they want to run their hardware. In my current case I have way more fans and hardware is running much cooler, but you're talking 50-60c rather than say, 60-75 - nothing with the realms of functionality either way.

One other thing. How do you have your PSU installed? Looking at the picture, do you have the fan facing down into the case? What sort of surface is the case on?

Also, I meant the GPU, CPU temps are great. But again, your GPU temps aren't high enough to actually seriously state that overheating is your issue - given the evidence, it doesn't seem to be overheating.

One other thing. How do you have your PSU installed? Looking at the picture, do you have the fan facing down into the case? What sort of surface is the case on?

PSU is located on the bottom (as normal?). The exhaust fan is located on the top corner of the case, basically at the top of the back of the case located on this shot: http://postimg.org/image/hwytkf17l/. It wouldn't be facing 'down' into the case but the CPU is beside the exhaust and then the GPU is further down.

The case is sitting on a wood floor, under a desk. Beside it (to the left of the front) is the frame of the side of the desk, the other side is free. I have move the computer out from the wall to give it more space.

No I meant the PSU fan - is it facing up towards the top of your case, or face down into the bottom of your case? Because if its facing down, could be a problem if there's not enough clearance/airflow underneath.

It's facing down as per these pics:
    - http://postimg.org/image/a41b1nckj/
    - http://postimg.org/image/9avicf2il/ (This is the fan at the bottom of the case, underneath the PSU

Going to get in touch with the manufacturer. Been reading online the GTX 670's can be problematic at times with games (same as the ones I'm having trouble with). Alot of people have been RMA'ing their GTX 670's so ill just contact anyway and see if anything can be resolved on that front.

Got a diagram from the current case of it's airflow chart. http://www.coolermaster.com/upload/product_feature/slh1.jpg

Also, I meant the GPU, CPU temps are great. But again, your GPU temps aren't high enough to actually seriously state that overheating is your issue - given the evidence, it doesn't seem to be overheating.

He hasn't monitored his temps properly yet and has still caught it over 90c a couple of times. It could be going higher. If you run something stressful and record the temps with afterburner you can check what you are peaking at. Taking screenshots is not going to show you your peak temps. Try running 3dmarks firestrike benchmark while recording your temps with afterburner.

Have you started doing any tests at all yet. It shouldn't take long to narrow down what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

furmark is good for stress testing the gpu

Advertisement