Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia 2247 as a Wireless Bridge or WAP

• 08-04-2013 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭

I've searched for an answer to this but I haven't been too successful making any sense of anything.

I have a wired network in my workplace. A while ago I bought a TP-LINK box to create a Wireless Access Point and this worked perfectly. I have recently gotten my hands on an old Netopia 2247 box and I was hoping to somehow configure this so that it picks up the signal from the TP-LINK WAP and rebroadcasts it.

Failing this, is there a way that I could simply use this old Netopia to create another WAP? I have no idea what settings I would need to change.

Thanks in advance for any guidance offered!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yep, works perfectly, have two of them doing just that. They arent the best units but they work fine for medium levels of traffic. Grand for hosting a few phones/tablets.

Just assign it a static IP and set it not to DHCP. Mine are at 192.168.2.203 and 192.168.2.204 . Takes two minutes. DSL will fail but just ignore that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

ED E wrote: »
    Yep, works perfectly, have two of them doing just that. They arent the best units but they work fine for medium levels of traffic. Grand for hosting a few phones/tablets.

Just assign it a static IP and set it not to DHCP. Mine are at 192.168.2.203 and 192.168.2.204 . Takes two minutes. DSL will fail but just ignore that.

Thanks for that! How exactly do I do that though? I'm new to this but I learn easily!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Connect one PC to it via ethernet cable.

Set up a wireless point. Eg if your main router is broadcasting "JoeBloggs" then maybe call it "JoeBloggs2" and set it to a different channel(so they dont interfere). You can set the password the same. People will have to join both but its the simplest to set up.

Then set its IP to a fixed one here http://ITS.IP.ADDRESS/indexExptCfgRES.htm?dhcpServerRES.htm

Router IP Address: Pick a static here
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Additional IP Subnets: Ignore
    DHCP Server Enable: Uncheck.

Then hook it up to your main LAN and away you go.

Advertisement