Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one teaching in Scotland?

• 08-04-2013 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I had a pretty depressing work year here :( ( although a broken arm did hinder any work since Christmas) so thinking of heading away for Sept. I'm thinking about Scotland. I'd like to go where I know a few people already;I've friends in Glasgow.

Any one teaching/ taught there?

It's cheap to live in, they have a good education system - as far as I know - and if in the cities it's easy to get home often.

Any info is appreciated boardies. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

Heydeldel wrote: »
    I had a pretty depressing work year here :( ( although a broken arm did hinder any work since Christmas) so thinking of heading away for Sept. I'm thinking about Scotland. I'd like to go where I know a few people already;I've friends in Glasgow.

Any one teaching/ taught there?

It's cheap to live in, they have a good education system - as far as I know - and if in the cities it's easy to get home often.

Any info is appreciated boardies. :)

Hi.

Sorry I haven't any info for you. Did you find anything out yourself? I read an article recently about a shortage of Primary School Teachers in Scotland. They are going to give extra training places to tackle this problem, which is a reverse in the trend over the last few years.

I am looking at moving to Scotland for work. My wife is a Primary Teacher here in Ireland so it would be great if she could get a job there too. We're thinking the Aberdeen area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Is the Scottish system different to the English system? I.e can Irish primary teachers work in Scotland as they can in England?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

kraggy wrote: »
    Is the Scottish system different to the English system? I.e can Irish primary teachers work in Scotland as they can in England?

I haven't looked into the English system but as far as I can gather, once you are regarded as a fully qualified Primary Teacher by the Teaching Council in Ireland, then you are eligible to register with GTC Scotland as a Primary Teacher. You are then required to complete an adaptation/probation period of at least 60 days in Scotland before obtaining Full Registration. So from that point of view, it seems very doable.

What I'd really like to know are (1) the experiences of Irish Primary Teachers who have taught in Scotland (2) how difficult it would be for an Irish qualified teacher (with no experience of any other curriculum) to get a job in Scotland (3) practical info on how to get up to speed with a different curriculum and (4) the differences in how things are done in Scotland vs Ireland (for example, are they as different as England with much more paperwork, 70 hour weeks, etc.?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kmteacher

Hi,

I'm looking at moving to Scotland for Sept too, to the Glasgow area in particular. I haven't done a huge amount of research into it yet but once you register with the teaching council of Scotland you can then apply to jobs which are advertised on each individual councils websites, you can also apply to the council to get put on their supply teacher list (after an interview). Registration with the teaching council in Scotland doesn't mean you can work in England, they are completely different councils and also have a different curriculum. I don't think Scotland is as different as England especially in terms of the 70 hour weeks, there are less hours in Scotland anyway. I presume schools would prefer teachers who have trained in Scotland but if there's a shortage of primary teachers there I'm sure its possible. I know of a few Irish teachers working there but they did the postgrad there so were automatically placed in schools for their probation after college. I am going over for a visit soon so I am hoping to find out more then. In the meantime I am getting up to date garda vetting (huge waiting time) and the necessary paperwork from college so I can apply to the gtcs soon! I will let ye know more information as soon as I get any. If anyone else has more info or knows anything more from personal experience it would be brill, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Siobhan_d13

Hey there! Does anyone have any info on secondary teaching in Scotland? I'm in Australia but teaching jobs are so competitive here... Coming home next week! 😀

• Advertisement
Advertisement