Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excellent Breakdown Service

Options
  • 08-04-2013 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi All

Had the miss fortune of having a flat tire on the Camper yesterday
    We were parked up over night and when I got up in the morning, it was as flat as a pancake (well ony the bottom half of it :) )

Didnt fancy jacking the van without a trolley jack so I put in a call to breakdown service - Im with Dolmen Insurance so it was AXA breakdown (was a little embarrased doing it to change a tire).

Got a call back from the guy that was tasked to do the job within 5 mins and given that I was in no hurry, he offered to leave it till mid morning rather than going at it when kids were asleep

Have to say that when he arrived, he was top notch - courtious & professional.
    I dont know what his company name was. All I know is that he is based in Clara (Co Offaly) and his name is James.
    Many thanks for an excellent job

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Glad it worked out for you and it's very reassuring to know that the service offered by Dolmen, via Axa, is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

sounds like a good service,i wouldnt fancy changing a wheel on a wet night , i did a dry run with the scissors jack on all 4 wheels at the w end,just getting the spare out of the locker ( hymer) was tricky enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

An old mercedes or ldv screw type bottle jack is a good replacement for the scissors yoke takes up a lot less space than a trolley jack and won't suddenly collapse like the modern sourced in china hydraulic types like to. I have a bilstein daimler benz one thats probably twice the age of myself top quality yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

paddyp wrote: »
    An old mercedes or ldv screw type bottle jack is a good replacement for the scissors yoke takes up a lot less space than a trolley jack and won't suddenly collapse like the modern sourced in china hydraulic types like to. I have a bilstein daimler benz one thats probably twice the age of myself top quality yoke.

Naaa, the best replacement for the original jack is good breakdown cover and a mobile phone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Motorhomers

Thanks Malta1.
    It is good to hear the service is good.

• Advertisement

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Naaa, the best replacement for the original jack is good breakdown cover and a mobile phone :D

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

:eek:

Same! I wouldn't feel right without a proper jack and brace! Phones die, signal can be poor, and breakdown services can be busy!

I asked my sister once where the motorway SOS phones connect to. She said an operator who relays you to your roadside assistance. So I had to ask, what's the point they'll just connect me to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Same! I wouldn't feel right without a proper jack and brace! Phones die, signal can be poor, and breakdown services can be busy!

Don't get me wrong, I do have a good jack etc., but it would only be used if the breakdown assistance was not reachable and I had no other option.
    As a wise friend once said "you don't pay for a taxi and walk behind it" ;)

Advertisement