Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maggie Thatcher dead - Mega merge thread

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

I bet the thought of that would have sickened her to the very core. Given her refusal to accept that 'society' had any actual meaning!
    Muilleann wrote:

History will remember her for phrases such as "There is no society" (she was very wrong in saying that) but it will also remember her for being a conviction politician and there are not too many of them around anymore.
    Read the whole thing and she is right

"I think we've been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it's the government's job to cope with it. 'I have a problem, I'll get a grant.' 'I'm homeless, the government must house me.' They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation."

What is the difference between that and Kennedys Ask not what your country can do for you

I is going to keep posting this , till the message gets home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

AEDIC wrote: »
    Karma? Do you also believe in ghosts and aliens?

no. Just karma :D it always works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

That is really what the entire thing boils down to with republicans.

The IRA stood up to her, looked her in the eye

And lost.

By the way, she conceded after the fourth hunger striker had died, bit the army council refused to let the others give up because they were getting too good pr out of it. The IRA killed more hunger strikers than Maggie.

That's being extremely economical with the truth.

Thatcher once boasted that the IRA had "played its last card"
    While (simultaneously) she sanctioned behind the scenes talks with the IRA leadership in an attempt to negotiate a cease fire.

I'm not going to revert to some of the comments on this thread, but she brought untold misery to a few nationalist areas in the North, and inadvertently was the greatest recruitment tool the Provisionals ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

There is a fireworks display and cavalcade planned in the Bogside area of Derry at 7 this evening.
    Not sure who's organising it.
    Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

the witch is dead. hope she burns in hell. wont be missed. im goin on the piss later. best news all year. hopefully the queen follows next

jelly and ice cream when thatcher dies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It'll be interesting to see if (and how) the mainstream media reports on the 'celebrations' of her passing in the UK. I suspect the mainstream media will be all condemnation and no exploration of any glee at The Rusted Lady's demise. The narrative must be controlled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

donfers wrote: »
    ........the point being that we can tell a lot about somebody based on who is saying what about them after their death and to quite a large degree, more so than in anything i have witnessed before, the ordinary joe, the man and woman on the street despise her and what she stood for while the politcal, conservative elites, the power-holding autocrats are telling us she was great...i think that says a lot

Personally, i am pretty close to textbook working class. My nanny left school at 14, went to work. She had my mam in the 1950s, her husband died, she was a single working mother. My mam is a single mother of 3 children. We got our hair cuts at home, clothes passed down, holidays were a week in Wexford in the mid-1980s, council house in a council estate.

Further to that, going back generations my nannys father and uncles were all involved in the independence struggles of the early 20th century.

My life and heritage is about as republican working class as possible.

All that being said, i see no reason i need to rejoice or gloat in the death of an old lady. Nor do i see any reason i can't point to great positives and changes she brought to her own country.

It's the mentality of resentment that has stifled progress on this island for decades and centuries. We have made a lot of progress in the past 25 years and if we want to continue that progress we should as a people rise about the bitterness, hatred and disgust of the past.

She's dead and my response is RIP. I'd rather waste more time today worrying about bills, what's for dinner and watching the football later, than in unleashing vitriol at an old dead lady for her policies of a time since passed. Indifference is a powerful display of emotion sometimes - hatred and vitriol will advance no cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

This is a real asshole of a thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

People have got the entitlements too much in mind

Aye, she lamented the sense of entitlement shown by others... but it never stopped her claiming millions in tax-payers money through the likes of the public duties cost allowance scheme.

In her world only the self-entitled were entitled to anything... the plebs merely footed the bill.

Just one of many shining examples of how hypocritical and duplicitous she was.

SamHall wrote: »
    That's being extremely economical with the truth.

Thatcher once boasted that the IRA had "played its last card"
    While she sanctioned behind the scenes talks with the IRA leadership in an attempt to negotiate a cease fire.

I'm not going to revert to some of the comments on this thread, but she brought untold misery to a few nationalist areas in the North, and inadvertently was the greatest recruitment tool the Provisionals ever had.

Ironic that it was the Sinn Fein leadership who eventually signed away political status for Republicans in the GFA, 1998.
    You have to wonder just how sincere they really are on the issue, and was it just used for electoral gain.
    Mc Guinness regularly calls current IRA prisoners "criminal gangs" and "mafia".
    What makes him different from Thatcher really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

true wrote: »
    Did you check the emigration statistics from Ireland to England during the 3 terms she was in power? No ? Though you would not. Hundreds of thousands of Irish got good jobs in England : that fact escapes you. She treated them better than the government here treated them. Close to the bone and an uncomfortable truth, is it for you?

Good point. I'll admit maggie was a bit of a cow. But most of mt immediate family and extended family ended up working over there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Personally, i am pretty close to textbook working class. My nanny left school at 14, went to work. She had my mam in the 1950s, her husband died, she was a single working mother. My mam is a single mother of 3 children. We got our hair cuts at home, clothes passed down, holidays were a week in Wexford in the mid-1980s, council house in a council estate.

Further to that, going back generations my nannys father and uncles were all involved in the independence struggles of the early 20th century.

My life and heritage is about as republican working class as possible.

All that being said, i see no reason i need to rejoice or gloat in the death of an old lady. Nor do i see any reason i can't point to great positives and changes she brought to her own country.

It's the mentality of resentment that has stifled progress on this island for decades and centuries. We have made a lot of progress in the past 25 years and if we want to continue that progress we should as a people rise about the bitterness, hatred and disgust of the past.

She's dead and my response is RIP. I'd rather waste more time today worrying about bills, what's for dinner and watching the football later, than in unleashing vitriol at an old dead lady for her policies of a time since passed. Indifference is a powerful display of emotion sometimes - hatred and vitriol will advance no cause.

Do as you wish but you simply cannot deny that to a large degree, the working class despised her while her autocrat elitist buddies think she was great

oh and this indifference is a powerful emotion thing is a nice soundbite but in reality it is a fundamental problem, if anything we need to get angrier, look at the banking crisis but yes we should be careful in choosing the targets for our ire and as i said in my post i celebrate no man or woman's death but i can certainly offer my views on what impact i think they've had

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Read the whole thing and she is right

"I think we've been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it's the government's job to cope with it. 'I have a problem, I'll get a grant.' 'I'm homeless, the government must house me.' They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation."

What is the difference between that and Kennedys Ask not what your country can do for you

+1.
    post of the thread.

She had incredible energy and drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Ironic that it was the Sinn Fein leadership who eventually signed away political status for Republicans in the GFA, 1998.
    You have to wonder just how sincere they really are on the issue, and was it just used for electoral gain.

irish people always apologising and making excuses for what britain did here, even for maggie thatcher, after what she put their own irish people through. should be ashamed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It'll be interesting to see if (and how) the mainstream media reports on the 'celebrations' of her passing in the UK. I suspect the mainstream media will be all condemnation and no exploration of any glee at The Rusted Lady's demise. The narrative must be controlled.

It wouldn't surprise me if they try not to mention it at all tbh! It'll be all tributes from her old Tory pals and not much else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Indifference is a powerful display of emotion sometimes - hatred and vitriol will advance no cause.

Meh was the rallying cry of many heroes like Gandhi and Jesus.

irish people always apologising and making excuses for what britain did here, even for maggie thatcher, after what she put their own irish people through. should be ashamed
    Are you for real??
    I've a good friend in jail at present.
    Just finished 2 years on dirty protest (which was ignored by the media).
    Some people (SF members mostly) who cheer at Thatchers death because of her views on Republican prisoners, are now treating Republican prisoners in the exact same way. i.e, Criminalisation and Isolation.
    Thats my simple point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Meh was the rallying cry of many heroes like Gandhi and Jesus.

Heroes like Jesus? You'd be better off putting your faith in Superman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Heroes like Jesus? You'd be better off putting your faith in Superman.

Superman is make believe, silly. Besides he'd blast you with his eye lasers before he'd ever say 'meh'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Are you for real??
    I've a good friend in jail at present.
    Just finished 2 years on dirty protest (which was ignored by the media).
    Some people (SF members mostly) who cheer at Thatchers death because of her views on Republican prisoners, are now treating Republican prisoners in the exact same way. i.e, Criminalisation and Isolation.
    Thats my simple point.

Why did he finish the dirty protest? And why was he jailed in the first place? SF are eager to leave any terrorist/freedom fighter types behind, hypocritical as that is (and I'm not even an SF supporter).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DonLimon

Can you seriously not differentiate between the IRA during the troubles and the dissident groups still active today?

Anyway, I'm delighted with the news, hope the bitch burns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

WTF, a 16 page thread on AH on a Monday - did Thatcher die or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

All the hoohaa reminds me of this little controversy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Hello folks.

We are currently reviewing some of the commentary on this thread.

Criticism of the legacy of Thatcher is understandable. However this piss on her grave crap is well over the line.

Please bear with us for a few minutes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement