Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP Margaret Thatcher

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Kinski wrote: »
    You've offered nothing to substantiate your claim that Thatcher's comments on the Irish (made in 1999) stemmed from her contacts with Adams et al during the hunger strikes, but nevertheless, taking your argument on its own terms for a moment, you claim that Thatcher's opinion did not betray an anti-Irish mindset, because she could legitimately tar the Irish people as "all liars" because that was her impression of the very small group of Irish people leading the Provisional republican movement in the North in the early 80s.

In other words, she extrapolated an entire national/racial character from her experience of a handful of people - which would still betray narrow-mindness and prejudice on her part. So it seems this feeble "defence" of her you offer doesn't even succeed in being a defence, never mind an effective one.

and you've never said "The trouble with the Brits is..." or labelled all the French or Germans based on a few people you've met?

how very noble of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

and you've never said "The trouble with the Brits is..." or labelled all the French or Germans based on a few people you've met?

how very noble of you.

Admittedly, in my capacity as the former prime minister of one of the world's most important states, and a member-for-life of its upper legislature, I've often offered advise to incoming cabinet ministers about dealing with foreign countries which consisted entirely of crude and offensive generalisations.

Though equally I'm not sure if I'd classify "not being a small-minded asshole" as especially noble...it's not that difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Why are some Irish people so desperate for her to be anti Irish?

I think one could safely bet she was anti Irish, just like she was anti much of Europe.
    In fact I would bet she was a wee bit racist.
    Thatcher dealt with Haughey, and Garret FitzGerald, and various attachés of the Embassy in London.

She never dealt with Sinn Féin.

I reckon it was all haughey's fault.
    No one can deny he was a lying deceitful bast***, now can they ?

Then again that describes a lot of our politicans and indeed Britain's politicans.

I think Tony_Eh summed it up best in their post.
    thatcher was good for some, but for others she wreck their communitities.

She did some useful things like destroy the grip that the unions had on the country which had really hamstrung and almost destroyed certain industries.

But what did she replace it ?
    A dependence on FDI from foreign multinationals, rampant uncontrolled financial giggery pokery in the City that has helped contribute in no small measure to the fact that major financial institutions had to be bailed out by the taxpayers 20 odd years later.

What the unions had started she completed.
    She presided over the end of a sizable chunk of Britains homegrown industry.
    Oh yes one can claim industrial output in Britain today is doing better, that they are one of the biggest car manufacturers in Europe, etc, but isn't that just like we can claim we are one of the biggest software manufacturers in the world.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Kinski wrote: »
    Admittedly, in my capacity as the former prime minister of one of the world's most important states, and a member-for-life of its upper legislature, I've often offered advise to incoming cabinet ministers about dealing with foreign countries which consisted entirely of crude and offensive generalisations.

Though equally I'm not sure if I'd classify "not being a small-minded asshole" as especially noble...it's not that difficult.

You obviously have a much higher opinion of politicians than I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

I heard an interview on the Pat Kenny radio show last year in which a guy who wrote a book(can't remember the book or author).Can only remember his assertion that Mrs Thatcher had no problem granting political status to I.R.A prisoners but the Northern Ireland office vigorously opposed it.The N.I office(totally Pro Unionist) at that time was at war with Sinn Fein,the INLA and other nationalist terrorists so they advocated a policy of 'not an inch'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

todolist wrote: »
    I heard an interview on the Pat Kenny radio show last year in which a guy who wrote a book(can't remember the book or author).Can only remember his assertion that Mrs Thatcher had no problem granting political status to I.R.A prisoners but the Northern Ireland office vigorously opposed it.The N.I office(totally Pro Unionist) at that time was at war with Sinn Fein,the INLA and other nationalist terrorists so they advocated a policy of 'not an inch'.

Some republicans said the deal was on the table but Sinn Fein decided it would get more millage out of dead martyres so let the hunger strikers die

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Rewriting history will not change opinion, of the old tyrant's actions. Trying to put a human face on her is too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Ah I see why your were embarrassed to show the link -

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/regional/mediator-no-aggression-from-protestant-side-in-fountain-estate-1-5004242

Typical oul sectearian ****e from the Newsletter! I wonder what that guy was pointing at that the editor had to blanked it out?

junder wrote: »
    Some republicans said the deal was on the table but Sinn Fein decided it would get more millage out of dead martyres so let the hunger strikers die
    History proves they did get more mileage.Adams is a T.D now.He can go to The United States for private medical treatment while the rest wait in line.Sinn Fein are ruthless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,298 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

So you are saying that the most 'principled' and 'conviction driven' Prime Minister of the UK in decades (also known as the Iron Lady) backed off resolving a key Anglo-Irish incident because a few civil servants in the NIO told her to? are we expected to believe this?

• Advertisement

So you are saying that the most 'principled' and 'conviction driven' Prime Minister of the UK in decades (also known as the Iron Lady) backed off resolving a key Anglo-Irish incident because a few civil servants in the NIO told her to? are we expected to believe this?
    What I am saying is she had no problem granting prisoners status that they previously had.The N.I office said absolutely No and she gave in to them.She went with the N.I office and they turned out to be the a godsend to the bombers and gunmen.Sinn Fein is about to take over Labour's role in southern Ireland.All thanks to the N.I office.Prime Minister Thatcher was right all along.

So you are saying the what is in post 411. You actually believe it as well!

So you are saying the what is in post 411. You actually believe it as well!
    No.Read what I Said.Prime Minister Thatcher will be remembered a 100 years from now while thugs like Adams,McGuinness and the murdering "poet" Daniel Morrison will be forgotten.Thank God.

Translation

'Prime Minister Thatcher will be remembered a 100 years from now while thugs like Adams,McGuinness and the murdering "poet" Daniel Morrison will be forgotten.Thank God. '

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Madam wrote: »
    Ah I see why your were embarrassed to show the link -

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/regional/mediator-no-aggression-from-protestant-side-in-fountain-estate-1-5004242

Typical oul sectearian ****e from the Newsletter! I wonder what that guy was pointing at that the editor had to blanked it out?

Are you not disgusted by these actions in Londonderry? Its pretty clear innocent people are being attacked for no other reason than their religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

gallag wrote: »
    Are you not disgusted by these actions in Londonderry? Its pretty clear innocent people are being attacked for no other reason than their religion.

What goes around comes around:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Madam wrote: »
    What goes around comes around:rolleyes:

What does that mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

No.Read what I Said.Prime Minister Thatcher will be remembered a 100 years from now while thugs like Adams,McGuinness and the murdering "poet" Daniel Morrison will be forgotten.Thank God.
    Is this the Daniel Morrison who was cleared a few years ago of false imprisonment

who did he murder

gallag wrote: »
    You never know whats going on,
    Just after reading a story in the Irish News about a guy called John Smyth from Antrim, he was a UFF man an Orange man a DUP canditate,
    he was jailed today
    He left a bomb in the grounds of a Catholic primary school pipe-bombed a Polish family and phoned hoax bomb alerts to three catholic owned businesses,
    he then went on to pipe-bomb his own house:confused:
    as I say never know whats happening in Derry

• Advertisement

TOMASJ wrote: »
    You never know whats going on,
    Just after reading a story in the Irish News about a guy called John Smyth from Antrim, he was a UFF man an Orange man a DUP canditate,
    he was jailed today
    He left a bomb in the grounds of a Catholic primary school pipe-bombed a Polish family and phoned hoax bomb alerts to three catholic owned businesses,
    he then went on to pipe-bomb his own house:confused:
    as I say never know whats happening in Derry

And this justifys an attack on innocent people how exactly?

And this justifys an attack on innocent people how exactly?
    Draw your own conclusions,

He was on the news back then with Peter Robinson, and convinced people that he was an innocent victim,

Draw your own conclusions,

He was on the news back then with Peter Robinson, and convinced people that he was an innocent victim,

Still not seeing how this justifys attacks on innocent people, why not enlighten me

why not enlighten me
    Don't think that's possible,

Is this the Daniel Morrison who was cleared a few years ago of false imprisonment

who did he murder
    He was an still is an unapologetic terrorist supporter.

He was an still is an unapologetic terrorist supporter.
    So he is not a Murderer?
    a big difference their as a lot of people could be called "terrorist supporters"

you know the old saying one mans terrorist being another mans freedom fighter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod:

Seeing as the funeral is over and we seem to be just discussing the North, rather badly, time to lock it up.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement