Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coin Lodgements Bank Of Ireland ! you wont believe this !!!!

Options
  • 08-04-2013 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

I suppose this is more of a moan than anything else......I lodge money to my account (95% of the time on a monday) and often I'll have ONE bag of coins to lodge as well as cash......so there I am an hour ago, waiting in line in Bank of Ireland Swords, get to the counter, hand over my lodgement book, cash and ONE bag of 1 euro coins (full bag ie 25e) and the lady shakes her head and tells me that she cant take the full bag of 1 euros...??? what I say......she points to a sign that says as of today Bank of Ireland will only accept coin lodgements on a Tuesday between 10 and 12 and on fridays ........now, I was very calm and said you have got to be joking.....nope.....so I stood there while she said she had to talk to her supervisor to see if she would allow her to lodge one measly bag of 1 euro coins.......supervisor grunts at me that she'll allow it today but thats it !!!!! I am so stunned by this .........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Ok, coin lodgements are a pain in the arse but a little bit of common sense would have been the best thing here on BOI part. Not like it was the annoying mixed bag of coppers.

Its not like the system shuts down the option to lodge coin outside of the alloted times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

You're right Unclebill, but what I cant get my head around is the fact that I now cannot lodge MY money into MY account on a day of MY choosing.........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

In countries with customer focused banking they have machines where you log cash including coins as self service into your account. Put in your card, place the cash in either slide or coin sorter and all is done for you.

The nearest in Ireland is a coin sorting machine in my local supermarket that charges a 5% fee to convert my coins into bills.

I so hope that one day a bank comes to Ireland that is customer focused and offers the things we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I think all banks are trying to be as awkward as possible to get to use the machines. Like using procedures to verify people identity ( a seen a bank refuse a draft to a man who has banked there everyweek for 5 years as they didn't have his signature on file)

Every aib has one teller and about 5 staff asking do want to use the machine

Wow Dublin-Texas......where are these machines hiding !!!! maybe I could start a campaign to get Bank of Ireland to buy some of them and then I'll be a happy customer being able to lodge coin/notes when I want........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

This saddens me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I suppose this is more of a moan than anything else......I lodge money to my account (95% of the time on a monday) and often I'll have ONE bag of coins to lodge as well as cash......so there I am an hour ago, waiting in line in Bank of Ireland Swords, get to the counter, hand over my lodgement book, cash and ONE bag of 1 euro coins (full bag ie 25e) and the lady shakes her head and tells me that she cant take the full bag of 1 euros...??? what I say......she points to a sign that says as of today Bank of Ireland will only accept coin lodgements on a Tuesday between 10 and 12 and on fridays ........now, I was very calm and said you have got to be joking.....nope.....so I stood there while she said she had to talk to her supervisor to see if she would allow her to lodge one measly bag of 1 euro coins.......supervisor grunts at me that she'll allow it today but thats it !!!!! I am so stunned by this .........
    I suspect then, you would be best bringing it directly to their attention: as such, moved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Them machines are not the answer. As a customer you want to avoid charges, not incur them.

As for lodging when you want, yes you really should be able to. However I would see that the move to restrict coin lodgements to a certain time is aimed at the larger customers who would bring in multiple of bags and cash etc. These types of lodgements can cause a q to build very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Just move to a bank that allows it. The reason we get bad service is because we put up with it. If everyone refused to put up with the BS the banks are pulling these days we would get proper banks.

Heard Permanent TSB are not charging bank fees anymore too so I'm switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

As gutteruu says, switch banks :) I bank with Ulster bank. No fees, the staff are always helpful and friendly and I lodge bags of coins regularly without a problem. Why stay with a bank if it doesn't appreciate you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭older i get better i was

its simple move bank and tell them why your leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Spook_ie,

We've just noticed your post has been moved in from another forum. We believe you posted  this on the BOI Facebook page. Do you require any further assistance from us here?

Thanks
    Tara

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I have to say my impression of BOI is they would rather you didn't go into a branch at all.
    i have had the same stubborn attitude from counter staff on numerous occasions.
    I had one very rude cashier refuse to lodge a cheque  into our joint account because the cheque was in my wife's name.
    I was told this was BOI policy, yet the machine in the corner would happily lodge it and ignore the banks policy. This non nonsensical behavior has me has me thinking of moving also.
    It reminds me of the old saying....
    It would be a great job only for the customers,......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi KoolKid,

The lodgement atm will accept the cheque when initially put in the machine; however, there are checks in place which are made before the cheque is lodged against the account.

If the cheque has fully cleared and you have used the funds, we would appreciate if you can pm us with the branch you lodged the cheque through as well as your full name. We will forward your feedback to your branch.

Thank you very much for posting.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Spook_ie wrote: »

Me too ! I went in this morning and thought I'd woken up on April 1st !!!

"New terms and conditions" the girl told me, I told her of my new terms and conditions - "I'm moving Bank" byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

What a load of crap, I've heard it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

In countries with customer focused banking they have machines where you log cash including coins as self service into your account. Put in your card, place the cash in either slide or coin sorter and all is done for you.

The nearest in Ireland is a coin sorting machine in my local supermarket that charges a 5% fee to convert my coins into bills.

I so hope that one day a bank comes to Ireland that is customer focused and offers the things we need.

12% fee normally

Hi KoolKid,

The lodgement atm will accept the cheque when initially put in the machine; however, there are checks in place which are made before the cheque is lodged against the account.

If the cheque has fully cleared and you have used the funds, we would appreciate if you can pm us with the branch you lodged the cheque through as well as your full name. We will forward your feedback to your branch.

Thank you very much for posting.

Thanks
    Linda

Yes this is a new system, depsite BOI saying it's not, I've lodged cheques in the past with my card in my wifes name, never an issue until recently, where the branch call you to say they have to be signed by the person who the cheque is made out to before they can be lodged. Even though it's a joint account !! Barmy Bank of Ireland

This is just going to encourage fraud I think.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I have lodged numerous cheque's via lodgement machines and they have always cleared.
    I'm not sure what your asking me for here Linda.
    Could you clarify what is BOIs policy on lodging cheques to joint accounts?

Hi KoolKid,

When you lodge a cheque into a joint account, the cheque should be in your name. You would not be able to lodge a cheque in your wife's name which is crossed unless it is endorsed by your wife. When using the lodgement atm, this information should be checked before you have access to the funds in your account.

The reason I was asking for that information by pm is that in the particular case you referred to, it sounds like this did not happen so we would like to investigate this further.

Thanks a million for contacting us.

Thanks
    Linda

Any lodgements I'm referring to they would not have been crossed. 
    Is the policy different for uncrossed cheques? 
    If a cheque is not signed and lodged via an ATM What should happen?

• Advertisement

Hi KoolKid,

Apologies, any cheque, regardless of being crossed or not, should be endorsed by the payee of the cheque if they are not making the lodgement.

So in this instance if you are lodging a cheque to your joint account payable to your wife, she should endorse the cheque. If this is not done, the cheque should be returned to you when the manual checks are done.

Thanks
    Linda

Hi KoolKid,

Apologies, any cheque, regardless of being crossed or not, should be endorsed by the payee of the cheque if they are not making the lodgement.

So in this instance if you are lodging a cheque to your joint account payable to your wife, she should endorse the cheque. If this is not done, the cheque should be returned to you when the manual checks are done.

Thanks
    Linda

And can you clarify how long this policy is in place? As as far as I'm concerned it's only started happening in the last couple of months

Hi vicwatson,

We do not have the exact date here for when this policy was put in place but it has been there for some time. If you would like to discuss this further, please call your branch directly and a representative will be happy to help.

Thanks
    Linda

Hi KoolKid,

Thanks
    Linda
    Hi Linda & thanks for all the detail here.
    Apologies, I know we are a bit off topic on this.
    I have lodged plenty of cheques via these machines that would never have been signed.
    As my balance is less that the sum of all these obviousally they are clearing & funds are being made available.
    In my opinion this is the way it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

Hi Spook_ie,

We've just noticed your post has been moved in from another forum. We believe you posted  this on the BOI Facebook page. Do you require any further assistance from us here?

Thanks
    Tara
    yeah.... he requires to lodge his money..... into his bank account.... when he wants to :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

If self-service coin counters exist; which they do - why don't BoI trial one in one of their branches with a nominal fee for business customers? 0.5% perhaps?

Hi MadsL,

Nice to hear from you again.

This is something which the branch network is looking into but we will pass on your feedback regarding this suggestion.

Thank you very much for posting and hope you are getting on well,

Thanks
    Linda

markad1 wrote: »
    yeah.... he requires to lodge his money..... into his bank account.... when he wants to :-P
    Thanks all for your comments - took the last week to try and look at this objectively and with a cool head and we've decided to throw in the towel with BOI, started my first bank account with them in 1982 when I was in college. As BOI have seen from our FB posting I work Tues to Friday so this ridiculous practice of only allowing coin lodgements to a individual's a/c on a tuesday between 10-12 and on fridays is the straw that broke the camel's back for us. Thanks for the tip re TSB and OH went up yesterday during lunch to check things out and they have no problems with coins, and they're in Swords which is where I WANT TO BANK...not Malahide...not Whitehall.....I'm not naive enough to think that BOI will miss our 3 accounts but you know what I wont miss that nasty individual in Swords who smirked at me last Monday when she said she cant accept one misely full bag of 1 euro coins.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

Will they accept ALL coin on this 'special day'.  That is Full Bags and Loose change??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi Masala.

Thanks for your query.

This procedure varies depending on whether you are a business or a personal customer.

Business customers may only lodge full bags of coin on specific days in all our branches.

If you are referring to the Swords branch and are a personal customer, only full bags of coin are accepted in that branch on specific days.

Hope this helps. If you have any further queries, please let us know.
    Laura

Advertisement