Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goods which might not be as Irish as the brand/label suggests - noticed any?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Johnnycabs wrote: »
    thanks for all your replies

intersting to note which MNC's actually manufacture stuff here, will defo influence my purchases

@Charlemont why is that pathetic on my part if I wont buy stuff labelled as Irish if it has a UK stamp of origin? I can only assume you think this is anti-nordie bias on my part, which is not the case. Let me clarify and you can then tell me if you still feel the same.
    Poultry processors such as Moy Park are running on tight margins (if you remember, they were about to close a year or two back) and support Irish jobs. The on the other side you have Tesco selling "Irish" chicken fillets, which are farmed in a jurisdiction with a far lower min. wage than here.
    If the price on the two items is comparable, then you can use your discretion to purchase based on other criteria. For me, I would then spend on the homegrown product.
    Tesco know damn well that by slapping "Irish" on the top a lot of people wont look any further, and that's a deliberate marketing trick. Of course, I can only speculate when I say this, but I'd guerss that if you labelled those fillets as "Ulster chicken fillets" they wouldnt sell half as many.

Err, Moy Park are based in NI, no plants on this side of the border. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if you find a Moy Park plant code on those Tesco's "Irish" chicken fillets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

http://www.loveirishfood.ie/about-us/
    The Love Irish Food logo is aimed to let shoppers know that a brand is truly an Irish brand which adheres to the strict criteria of the Love Irish Food organisation, by guaranteeing that the product is manufactured in the REPUBLIC OF IRELAND and importantly that the brand uses ingredients from Ireland where these are available.

Not all Food and Drink brands are eligible to join Love Irish Food. When you see this Love Irish Food Logo on a product you know that it is:

Made in the Republic of Ireland using Local ingredients where they are available.
    Take your chocolate bar for example. Now, the cocoa can’t be grown in Cavan, but the milk used can certainly come from cows in Kerry! So look out for the new Love Irish Food logo on your next trip to the shops and buy Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Boyne Valley Honey. Made of a blend of "EC and non-EC" honeys. Tricksters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Cliona99 wrote: »
    Boyne Valley Honey. Made of a blend of "EC and non-EC" honeys. Tricksters.
    Yes but, as with many products, they blend and package it here - providing many jobs in Drogheda and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Tesco know damn well that by slapping "Irish" on the top a lot of people wont look any further, and that's a deliberate marketing trick.

It's not Tesco, although it's the thing around here to blame them for all the ills in the world, you want to be whinging about, it's the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's not Tesco, although it's the thing around here to blame them for all the ills in the world, you want to be whinging about, it's the EU.

Agreed. And let's be honest, most people don't give a toss where the goods are from. I did a straw poll here yesterday and 70% of people never even look to see where their food is produced. They either bought because of price or that they just preferred the product.

Many items now just state "produced in EU" - may not be Irish, may be Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Err, Moy Park are based in NI, no plants on this side of the border. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if you find a Moy Park plant code on those Tesco's "Irish" chicken fillets.

I am a dope - got them mixed up with Cappoquin Chicken.

I'm not anti-tesco - I do my shopping with them - and I know they are a big client for some irish meat producers like Rathdowney meats for example... but they do play on the "irish brands" thing.

If most people don't care where stuff comes from thats their decision I guess, but I would be surprised if thats the case.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I am a dope - got them mixed up with Cappoquin Chicken.

I'm not anti-tesco - I do my shopping with them - and I know they are a big client for some irish meat producers like Rathdowney meats for example... but they do play on the "irish brands" thing.

If most people don't care where stuff comes from thats their decision I guess, but I would be surprised if thats the case.

Only as much as Dunnes, Supervalu and I assume the others do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This little country of ours is a net food exporter so let's not play up too much on the 'only buy local' line. If the British consumer adopted that attitude when it came to beef or the German housewife switched from Kerrygold to Danish butter, we'd be in even worse shape than we're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

coylemj wrote: »
    This little country of ours is a net food exporter so let's not play up too much on the 'only buy local' line. If the British consumer adopted that attitude when it came to beef or the German housewife switched from Kerrygold to Danish butter, we'd be in even worse shape than we're in.

I think that it's more an issue of confusion, deliberate or otherwise, where people think they are making a choice to buy Irish but in reality aren't.

Nobody is suggesting that only Irish goods be purchased (would be difficult if not impossible to only buy Irish these days)

When you buy Champagne you know it can only be French.

Why shouldn't we know what products are manufactured here?

• Advertisement
Advertisement