Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours dog breaking down fence.

• 08-04-2013 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

I'm really not sure what to do and I'd appreciate if anyone could offer some advice.

My neighbours two doors down have a jrt. He is never walked and barks incessantly, particularly when my neighbours dogs on the other side is out. Te family are social housing, and whilst one house separates us from them, the dog has broken down the next fence up and is accessing my fence from the immediate neighbours garden. He is routinely jumping up on and chewing at my panel fencing and is about to come through the fence. He's only a wee thing but has made a sizeable hole. I reckon I will have the replace the fence shortly but feel what's the point as he'll just ruin it again!

I feel sorry for the wee fella, he's obviously not getting enough exercise and is taking out on my fence. However, I am considering getting a dog and want the area secure for that animal when the time comes. And it's my fence, I don't want it destroyed!!

I'm rather nervous to approach my neighbours, we get on well but I feel it wouldn't take much for the situation to become unpleasant. I'm too scared to be honest. Should I contact the council? Or the dog warden? Or build a stronger fence?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm rather nervous to approach my neighbours, we get on well but I feel it wouldn't take much for the situation to become unpleasant. I'm too scared to be honest. Should I contact the council? Or the dog warden? Or build a stronger fence?

I would certainly approach the neighbour first. There's no need to be confrontational. Just ask them nicely to secure their dog properly.

I'd also consider doing what you've said in your post. Build a stronger fence, and contact the council as it is their wall the dog's destroyed. I'm not sure the dog warden will do anything, but I suppose a call won't do any harm.

Advertisement