Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question regards Ninja 250r and the driving test.

• 08-04-2013 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Am I right in saying that the Ninja 250 cannot be used for any test under the new regulations? Had a talk with someone from the RSA about my test tomorrow and they were adamant that you needed a 400cc bike for the A2 and a restricted to 95 km/h bike for the A1.

This seems like insanity?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Yes thats correct.

See here for the 4 categories of tests you can do.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_tests/motorcycle_driving_tests_in_ireland.html

If you are going for an A2 you need "Category A2 motorcycle (without sidecar) of at least 395cc and of at least 25kW. Minimum power/weight ratio for an electric motorcycle is 0.15kW/kg."

Edit: The A1 test needs to be between 120 and 125cc so your 250cc doesnt fit into either category.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

That's a bit of a piss take isn't it?
    So no 250 bikes can be used to take the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

Yes thats correct.

See here for the 4 categories of tests you can do.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_tests/motorcycle_driving_tests_in_ireland.html

If you are going for an A2 you need "Category A2 motorcycle (without sidecar) of at least 395cc and of at least 25kW. Minimum power/weight ratio for an electric motorcycle is 0.15kW/kg."

Edit: The A1 test needs to be between 120 and 125cc so your 250cc doesnt fit into either category.

Many thanks for the reply and confirmation.

Learner permit 4 life yo!

Ninja 250r the most common beginner bike across the world and it can't be used for a test because its both too powerful and not powerful enough.

Wow, I just don't have the words nor the time to begin explaining how stupid this is. Test scheduled before the change and everything, 8 months later my bike is now unworthy of it.. lmao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Wait what?!!!

I was planning on finally getting a motorbike this summer and I'll be finally done with college and I've been eyeing the Ninja 250r for years as my first bike and now you're telling me its pointless buying one?!!! That's bull****!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

You can buy the Ninja 250 if you want, you just can't take your test on it - you could rent a bike from an instructor, and once you pass, you can ride whatever you like up to the limit of your category.

Makes you wonder why Kawasaki have introduced the Ninja 300, when a test can't be taken on it either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

gipi wrote: »
    You can buy the Ninja 250 if you want, you just can't take your test on it - you could rent a bike from an instructor, and once you pass, you can ride whatever you like up to the limit of your category.

Makes you wonder why Kawasaki have introduced the Ninja 300, when a test can't be taken on it either!

There is a world outside of europe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I would love to get a Ducati Monster 696 but they're still fairly pricey 2nd hand while I've seen Ninja 250r selling for around €2-3K. Also most videos I've watch consider the Ninja to be one of the best bikes to get as your first bike. But then I always wanted to get a Ducati Monster eventually. I guess I can buy the Ninja first to start off with and then once I get comfortable on it, I can sell it and get the Monster and do my test on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

I have the same problem in Switzerland. Either less than 25kw or more than 35 kw where my ninja 300 falls in between at 29kw. I'll just rent a bike though not sure which one yet. I don't regret buying the 300 one second though. I love it to bits and the exam is just a once off after all (or so I hope...)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

Wait what?!!!

I was planning on finally getting a motorbike this summer and I'll be finally done with college and I've been eyeing the Ninja 250r for years as my first bike and now you're telling me its pointless buying one?!!! That's bull****!!!!!!

You can buy and ride whatever bike you want (insurance pending) Just rent the correct bike for your test from an instructor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

On that note, my test confirmation email for Category A (have provisional on the old system) says that the bike must be at least 595cc and at least 40kW.
    As I'm currently using a 25kW restrctor on my SV650, I will now have to remove the restrictor to do the test, thus invalidating my insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Pique wrote: »
    On that note, my test confirmation email for Category A (have provisional on the old system) says that the bike must be at least 595cc and at least 40kW.
    As I'm currently using a 25kW restrctor on my SV650, I will now have to remove the restrictor to do the test, thus invalidating my insurance.

Which of course you can't do. You have to sign a declaration in the testing office stating that your bike is taxed and insured. I'd rent a bike if I were you.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Which of course you can't do. You have to sign a declaration in the testing office stating that your bike is taxed and insured. I'd rent a bike if I were you.

**** that. I'll get confirmation from the RSA and if necessary, I'll get the insurance sorted some way for the test. The thing is, on a provisional licence you legally cannot run a bike over 25kw, regardless of whether you are sitting a test or not.
    I will not be hiring a bike when I have a perfectly good one.
    The conflict between what I'm allowed to run at the moment versus what I'm required to have for the test is the confusing bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

If you have the old 'A' restricted permit you can't take the 'A' test, you can only take an 'A2' test on the old permit on an 'A2' motorcycle of exactly 25kw.

To do an 'A' test you must have the new plastic card 'A' permit and have your IBT completed.

Roadcraft wrote: »
    If you have the old 'A' restricted permit you can't take the 'A' test, you can only take an 'A2' test on the old permit on an 'A2' motorcycle of exactly 25kw.

To do an 'A' test you must have the new plastic card 'A' permit and have your IBT completed.
    Thanks for that. Can you point me to any documentation on that?
    I was given the option on applying online and just chose the A option as that was on the old system. I can't honestly remember if A2 was even there. If, as you say, I'm only entitled to apply for A2, the bloody system shouldn't have allowed me to request an A test.
    Feckin Dual system overlap was bound to cause issues.

Thanks for that. Can you point me to any documentation on that?
    I was given the option on applying online and just chose the A option as that was on the old system. I can't honestly remember if A2 was even there. If, as you say, I'm only entitled to apply for A2, the bloody system shouldn't have allowed me to request an A test.
    Feckin Dual system overlap was bound to cause issues.

Have a look at the attached (see question 13)

Roadcraft wrote: »
    Have a look at the attached (see question 13)

Excellent, thanks !

Now, one final question.
    Answer (b) to question 13 is interesting.
    If I now apply for a Category A Learner Permit, I can do the A test and get an unrestricted licence if I pass.
    However, to get the Category A learner Permit, do I need to do the IBT ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Excellent, thanks !

Now, one final question.
    If I now apply for a Category A Learner Permit, I can do the A test and get an unrestricted licence if I pass.

It depends on when you got your learner permit. Q 14 is for people who got the LP before IBT came in, Q 13 is for people who did IBT.

How is your SV restricted? As the testers will know what bikes can and can't be used for the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Excellent, thanks !

Now, one final question.

You will need to do the IBT, at least the part 5 section for the bigger bike, but probably section 2 and 4 as well, but not 100% on that and then wait out the 6 month waiting period for the new licence before doing the test.

Pain in the bum all round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,401 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So insure it as a full power bike...
    You need to have a valid LP for the category of bike to be let do the test, so I doubt they'd let you do the A test at all if all you have is a 25kW restricted old category A LP. (ah, reading on I see Roadcraft pointed this out later) :)

Scrap the cap!

Excellent, thanks !

Now, one final question.

To do the 'A' test you would first have to get the new 'A' permit and then if you have not completed any IBT before now complete modules 1,3,5. (18-Hours), or if you have already completed IBT modules 1,2,3,4. you would now have to complete IBT module 5 (11-Hours).

You would not have to wait for six months before your test if you have held the old 'A' for more than six months.

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the info.

To add and clarfy, this is the situation:

On the old paper green provisional on the old system I can only do the A2 test.
    On passing, I would then be allowed to ride a 35kW bike.
    After 2 years, I can complete IBT Module 5 and exchange that with my A2 licence for a full unrestricted A licence.

It basically means that for 2 years I get an extra 10kW over the old system and then just have to do Module 5 to get the full unrestricted (or do nothing and stay on A2 if I like).

If I read up a bit more, or if the categories were clearer or didn't replicate the 'A' moniker, (or if I wasn't such a dumba$$), I wouldn't have made the mistake.

Again, Thanks 'Roadcraft' and the rest of you for the answers.

Advertisement