Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE8 web page expired

Options
  • 08-04-2013 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

I am having problems with a site on IE8. A client is getting a "Web Page has Expired" error on a site I am working on. I am getting no such error and am using IE8 too. A few people have complained about these kinds of problems recently.

Basically this page just queries a DB by submitting a form back to itself and posting a search term entered by the user. It then displaying the results.

A few other pages on the site have had similar complaints. I have no idea why this might be happening for one version of IE8 and not another. Someone said all the machines at their workplace are having the same issue and they can't get beyond this page.

Any help appreciated. This is driving me mad!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Seridisand

jimmybeige wrote: »
    I am having problems with a site on IE8. A client is getting a "Web Page has Expired" error on a site I am working on. I am getting no such error and am using IE8 too. A few people have complained about these kinds of problems recently.

Basically this page just queries a DB by submitting a form back to itself and posting a search term entered by the user. It then displaying the results.

A few other pages on the site have had similar complaints. I have no idea why this might be happening for one version of IE8 and not another. Someone said all the machines at their workplace are having the same issue and they can't get beyond this page.

Any help appreciated. This is driving me mad!

I came across a similar issue before with people, double clicking the send button and later came across this article that might apply in your case:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/what-is-causing-webpage-has-expired-page-to-be/29ac7a88-b38c-4596-b4f7-439b7348194f

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

Yea, I saw that article alright. Not sure if it's a double-click problem, as everyone in the company is experiencing the same problem supposedly, which seems unlikely that everyone would be double-clicking. Another different company are having the same problem and are using IE8 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Seridisand

The only other thing I can think of is that you might have some dynamic content loading on the page that IE8 is interpreting as a page reload?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

Try adding the following to a main header file[PHP]
    <?
    header( 'Cache-Control: private, max-age=10800, pre-check=10800' );
    ?>
    [/PHP]

Your site visitors probable get that message if they click the back browser button, hopefully the above will solve that.

OK, thanks for the help people. I'll try these and see what the client says. Hopefully they'll get back with positive news!

No back button is pressed. They are getting the error purely from clicking a submit button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Are you sure they are using IE8 and it is running in IE8 mode?

From IE7 onwards it is possible to tell the browser to emulate a prior version so
    IE 8 can run in IE8, IE7, IE6 (quirks mode).

You can check by turning on developer tool bar.

Are the minor versions the same?

Would you be getting a timeout due to a slow internet connection at the clients sites?

Would they have a black box router ?

Have you tried running a tracert and/ping from their pc to your site?

Are they hitting search with no criteria entered and the database query is timing out?

Do you have access to the server side log? If so can you send whats in the query request to the db?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Have you tried using http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/ to monitor the request/response from the server?

Does your page work in other browsers?

Yea, everything worked perfectly on other browsers, and everything worked fine for me on my IE8. Just certain people, usually on their work network were having issues.

I made a few changes to scripts. Changed some POST requests to GET requests, and that solved the issue on those pages.

Also, there was a page with a form auto-submitted with JS and that page was giving a page expired error. Restructured things so that this form submission from JS was not happening anymore. Fixed the problem on that page.

Haven't figured out exactly what the cause was, but I guess I've worked around it.

THanks for the help everyone.

Advertisement