Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depositing loose coins

Options
  • 08-04-2013 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

I am a scout leader and each week I make a lodgement into our account with various amounts of money.  Most weeks, there are odd coins (i.e. 5x €2, 1x 50c 2x €1 etc.) and not enough to make a full bag of each coin.  Can I still deposit this, as my mother was told this is not accepted from the 1st of April in all branches ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi moranr7,

As the account is more then likely classed as a business account, you would only be able to lodge full coin bags into the account. We apologies about any inconvenience this may cause but this is the case for all branches.

Thank you very much for contacting us.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kkapp

This makes no sense what so ever. How can a bank refuse to take legal tender from a customer. If for example a customer wanted to pay a credit card bill or other bill owed to the bank in coins and if not all coins where bagged the payment would be refused and therefore putting the customer into arrears, i think you will find this is illegal. Well according to the central bank who I emailed and asked. They said coins must be accepted as payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi KKapp,

We are not refusing legal tender, we have changed the way we accept cash/coin for certain customers. 

In relation to your query about assisting customers in arrears with over the counter payments, we want to assure you we have comprehensive processes in place to assist these customers.  Our colleagues in our branches are more than happy to discuss alternative lodgement arrangements with individuals should they require advice.    

Thanks for taking the time to post

Linda

Advertisement