Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATC Student Programme 2013 *Warning post 195*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Top Dog

just inquiring

Can you apply for this again next year ? having not made it through this year. Is it a wise move??
    I'm only speculating, but I doubt there'll be any recruitment drive next year. More likely that the next one will be 2015.

And its not an un-wise move if you feel you could have done better ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭the beerhunter

Is it a wise move??

a small group of trainees who started approx a year and a half ago were scheduled to start a dublin rating course next monday. half of that number got the chop in the last two weeks.

wisdom has nothing to do with the process. give it a shot and if you can do an indiana jones and avoid the rolling boulders (when it comes up again), away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Top Dog

a small group of trainees who started approx a year and a half ago were scheduled to start a dublin rating course next monday. half of that number got the chop in the last two weeks.
    Seriously? :eek:

Any reason given as to why? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Top Dog wrote: »

They failed their rating assessments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

Top Dog wrote: »

Yes seriously.

I have been at Pains to tell you all throughout that the interviews, aptitude tests etc element was only one part of the recruitment process, the training school is another more in-depth method of seeing if the people selected can actually do the job.

I said it before and I will say it again. Just because you get offered a place on the course does NOT mean you are a controller or will be a controller, it means you CAN be trained to be a controller. If during the two year training you do not meet the standard on a daily or weekly basis you will be let go. Those requirements will be made VERY clear to you each week, you will never be unsure as to what the expectations are. Some students over the years have got 95%+ of the way through the training and failed at the last stage, why?, because if you can't show at any stage up to and including live on the job training that you can do the job you will NOT be licensed to be a controller.

The pass mark is 70% for the regular assessments if you do not meet the 70% mark regularly or don't show constant improvement you will be let go. This is an International requirement and standard, NATs for example only ever get about max 50% of their students to become controllers. That percentage will vary depending on the class and the individuals in that class.

The initial recruitment process merely shows you MIGHT be able to be a controller the training will ACTUALLY show whether you can be or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 noahcian

has anybody heard anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 aftershock84

Not a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BaconRave

Given the "indicative" medical time frame starting on Thursday, would it be safe to assume we'll hear this week sometime?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 NapMan

Presume everyone got their emails today too? How did ye fare?

Delighted to get accepted, well worth the wait now

Hi NapMan. Congratulations!!! Did they call you to medical?
    I got told i wasn't in first group but got added into reserve panel. Anyone get that? Gutted to get this far and not quite be over the line. Yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 wellysbw

I got it too. Very happy indeed. Well Done NapMan!

@Aftershock84, I was on reserve the last time too, did the medical as back up and never got through, but keep the faith. I'd expect a few not to take it this time around due to the money situation.

Anymore?

Hi NapMan. Congratulations!!! Did they call you to medical?
    I got told i wasn't in first group but got added into reserve panel. Anyone get that? Gutted to get this far and not quite be over the line. Yet.

Ya i'm delighted. gonna be a tough two years but gonna put the head down and make sure I do my best to get through it. They have to get onto us yet about the medicals, probly before next week i'd say.

Reserve panel sounds like a very good chance considering the amount of people that have been offered and are yet undecided about taking it. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

Congrats lads, im envious of you all, hope you guys make it through the whole shooting match! hear ya on ATClive :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25 groundcontrol

Congrats folks, as I expected I'm not going any further, made a balls of the interview. Good luck to you all, it's been emotional!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Aerodrome Air Traffic Controller Officer/Trainee Air Traffic Control Officer

Vantage Air Traffic Service Ltd is seeking to recruit an Aerodrome Air Traffic Control Officer (ATCO) or a Trainee Air Traffic Control Officer to join the existing team at Robin Hood Airport Doncaster Sheffield.
    Salary: Aerodrome ATCO: £36,069.68 - £41,279.96 (dependant on experience). Trainee ATCO: £20,604.00 - £25,755.00
    Read more | Closing date: 21st August 2013

Lifted from elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 11 leveleye

So anyone any ideas on the start date or is that still under raps till after the medical

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

So did you guys get called for Class 3 medicals or Class 1? Just curious as I believe some countries require class 1 in Europe, and I'm thinking of applying to IAA or NATS in future, and I can pass class 3 but not sure about class 1. Congrats on getting in with th IAA btw :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

HTCOne wrote: »
    So did you guys get called for Class 3 medicals or Class 1? Just curious as I believe some countries require class 1 in Europe, and I'm thinking of applying to IAA or NATS in future, and I can pass class 3 but not sure about class 1. Congrats on getting in with th IAA btw :-)

Pretty sure we did a class 3 last time round

So how goes it all for the few who got through? When are the medicals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

So how goes it all for the few who got through? When are the medicals?

Last week and maybe some this week.

• Advertisement

Anybody else get an invoice from the medical in the post today? 650 quid they were looking for me to pay. I rang them in the Mater anyway and they apologised, they should have sent it to the IAA. If anybody else gets them in the coming days just do the same thing. They probly wont make the same mistake again though.

On another note, the Mater have a lovely little contract from the IAA there. 650 is serious money to get from one person, in fairness there wasnt much to our medical. I heard it used to be with Blackrock Clinic but Mater got the contract a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

NapMan wrote: »
    Anybody else get an invoice from the medical in the post today? 650 quid they were looking for me to pay. I rang them in the Mater anyway and they apologised, they should have sent it to the IAA. If anybody else gets them in the coming days just do the same thing. They probly wont make the same mistake again though.

On another note, the Mater have a lovely little contract from the IAA there. 650 is serious money to get from one person, in fairness there wasnt much to our medical. I heard it used to be with Blackrock Clinic but Mater got the contract a couple of years ago

They rape ye on prices in that kip!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

robclay26 wrote: »
    They rape ye on prices in that kip!

From what I have heard they are particularly fond of finding something wrong with you. Have heard countless stories of people failing in the Mater, only to pass comfortably when doing the equivalent in the UK.

Has anyone that got through been onto the Social Welfare office or anything of the sort to see if we can claim any benefits or tax relief?

I was thinking of calling them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

I believe one of the conditions of JSA/JSB is to be available for work so doubt there will be much luck there.

Maybe either BTEA (VEC) or similar student (SUSI) grant might work.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

wellysbw wrote: »
    Has anyone that got through been onto the Social Welfare office or anything of the sort to see if we can claim any benefits or tax relief?

I was thinking of calling them.
    I believe one of the conditions of JSA/JSB is to be available for work so doubt there will be much luck there.

Maybe either BTEA (VEC) or similar student (SUSI) grant might work.

Let us know how you get on.

Like NotHarryPotter said I doubt you would qualify for JSA/JSB as you are not looking for, nor available for work. As for SUSI - unless the IAA are on the list of approved institutions then you will not get anything from them. BTEA - this requires the course to lead to a FETAC/HETAC qualification - so unless the qulaification at the end of the course is FETAC/HETAC approved then you are again out fo luck.

As for tax relief - this is usually given on fees paid for training, and as I understand it you are not actually paying for your training so you would probably not get anything on that front.

Unfortunately, the way this is structured unless you can self finance from the start, or have somebody who can do this for you (partner, parents friendly bank manager etc) you are going to be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 groundeffect

just wondering of those left in the Programme, has anyone heard any news of start dates etc...since doing the medical?

Hey Groundeffect, are you after doing the medical too? From what HR said contracts will probably be sent out end of Sept to early Oct but Ive heard nothing in a while.

Where are you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Skycloud

Has anyone who had done the medical heard anything i.e. been offered a contract or told when the start date is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 rich9871

Haven't heard anything since the medical. I sent an email to bonnie 2 days ago to see if she could update me on the situation but as of yet no reply

Advertisement