Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATC Student Programme 2013 *Warning post 195*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Stay on topic or face a ban. Offending post all 11 have been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 noahcian

any word yet on the aptitude tests? was it 8 days or 8 working days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

8 working days from the 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 trix123

I thought the aptitude tests were very strange, if you didn't go to school in a while you would be stuck!!! It wasn't really an aptitude but a test of science and maths!!! Very unusual. Most mechanical tests have parts that need to be reassembled not questions on physics. There were questions in there that unless you did physics you simply could not answer!!!! Very biased test, although the abstract and spatial awareness was fine. Exactly what it says it is.

From reading the other posts people seem to think just because the money is lower that it won't attract the right candidate?? I completely disagree, I know alot of ATCO's my dad been one of them, they worked for very little money and infact, if a person is trained correctly they should be able to do the job (passing the aptitudes etc)
    Most ATCO's in the last few years were teachers, lawyers etc and left their jobs solely because of the money that was being paid and the high status of the jobs. Most are there for the money and unless you have a real interest in the job you will fail due to lack of motiviation and you won't be alert or good at your job. That is a fact. Motivation and interest are key to getting the best people for the job that go above and beyond what is required. ATC attracts many candidates alot of whom, have no idea what the job entails, they are chancing their arm and will freely admit to it, and these people are usually the ones that won't stick with it or fail or leave or retire early/. It is not a job for the faint hearted.
    5 working days down, only 3 more to go and everyone will know their fate!!!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Not2good2

trix123 wrote: »
    Most ATCO's ... are there for the money

Why does anyone do any job? You could probably change that to ALL ATCO's!! :)
    and unless you have a real interest in the job you will fail due to lack of motiviation and you won't be alert or good at your job. That is a fact.

What are you basing this on? Can't speak for them all but I'd be fairly sure out of the last several SCP classes very few students had a strong desire to become an ATCO or even any interest in atc before applying, many didn't even have an interest in aviation! They're still there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Most ATCO's in the last few years were teachers, lawyers etc and left their jobs solely because of the money that was being paid and the high status of the jobs
    It would be more correct to say that many of these perceived prestige positions are no longer there because of the economic climate.
    I'd be fairly sure out of the last several SCP classes very few students had a strong desire to become an ATCO or even any interest in atc before applying, many didn't even have an interest in aviation!

Consequently many of the recent SCP groups were seeking what they believed was a "safe Government job".

I reckon that many got a bit of a shock when they actually worked shift and discovered that Christmas day and New Years day had to be worked too.

From what I understand some 20 ATCOs have resigned over the last few years and that there is a significant number of people retiring too.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭abbeyrock

Has anyone heard anything back, I did the test, brain is still spinning from it and pretty doubtful that I was in the top group but just curious to see if anyone has heard anything, maybe luck will be on my side;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ciajewia

The results for the pencil and paper tests are out now for anyone who is interested

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ExtaticFob

ciajewia wrote: »
    The results for the pencil and paper tests are out now for anyone who is interested

I presumed the results would be sent to applicants?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ciajewia

They were sent via e mail you either got accepted into the second stage or finished in the competition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ExtaticFob

Sorry, that impatience for you! Thanks. Just got the email a few minutes ago. No word of an order of merit or how you actually performed in the aptitude tests. I took part in a similar process for another job and this was the case. Does anybody know if this happens at any stage in this process?

got the email too and called for the friday at 2:30pm don't know about the merit thing but apparently they will tell you after a couple of weeks if you ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

Pleasantly surprised here. Didn't think i was up to scratch but happy i get to sample the FEAST. Should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Surprised at the tight time-scale between the FEAST and DART tests. Is it that they're leaving their equipment in the Gresham rather than having to remove & re-install perhaps?

well I got called too.
    But I still think the whole system over here is bullsht. The UK mean business. They have a list of things and if you got em, don't even think of applying, and you must do an online test first. The exams over there are not related to school or academic physics and maths, which I think is very discriminatory to those for example girls who went to all girl schools and hadn't the option to do physics. My application is on-going with NATS as they did a huge recruitment drive back earlier this year.
    I would like to know how were we selected? Was it the top 700? Or was it an average of the 4 in total? Or what? There is no explanation anywhere...makes you wonder who get chosen!
    Someone I know worked as an assistant and he was in a lower class than me and got in to ATC...not uncommon unfort and very typical Irish!
    Anyway, here we go for another flaking!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭colm911

Got my email today unfortunately I didn't get called back but was told told in the email to check them constantly as people pull out so fingers crossed but won't keep my hopes up. Best of luck to everyone that got called back though.

Sorry to hear that.. Did you do physics? I am science teacher so luckily I had some physics but thought it so unfair, they were not proper Aptitude tests at all, I mean if they wanted to do that they should have checked our knowledge on wind speed and direction too.!!
    Yes people do pull out all the time some get other job offers, others go to the UK and others onto college.

Sorry to hear that.. Did you do physics? I am science teacher so luckily I had some physics but thought it so unfair, they were not proper Aptitude tests at all, I mean if they wanted to do that they should have checked our knowledge on wind speed and direction too.!!
    Yes people do pull out all the time some get other job offers, others go to the UK and others onto college.

I am interested to know, did those that get called have LC physics? or do the LC in the past 2-4 years? of longer?

did it in '95...did not really use since

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

So its probable to say only 1000 went to the firsr round and 700 went through, seems a nearly pointless test if so.

The small time between feast and dart is a bit inconsiderate to those working and have to get time off last minute

Isn't 700 just a number plucked out of thin air as an example and nothing concrete at all?

I think the whole thing is a farce. The aptitude is completely discriminatory and why all the secrecy? The mechanical tests should be about assembling shapes labelled and unlabelled not physics, NATS give sample papers and answers.
    Also for Radar you obviously need to be able to very quickly discriminate between the differences in height and distance between planes which is what is tested in the aptitude with NATS this was not done in Ire. The job of an ATC is the same in all countries so why such discrepancy in the testing?? Why when I rang HR they told me that if I qualified in NATS that I couldn't come over to Ire?? That is illegal. We are in Europe now so like any profession, where you trained once in Europe it should be recognised and is obviously standardised. I don't get why Ire make things soo difficult for people...I mean the air traffic over here is nothing compared to Europe so why is the testing so difficult and more importantly so unrelated to the actual job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I don't agree that one who did Physics would have a direct advantage for the Mechanical Reasoning component (indirectly, they perhaps have learned to think in mechanical way). Can anyone, who does, remember any questions which they felt are illustrative of their position? I felt, at times, that I read too much into questions as a result of my having done it. Take question 1 (screw vs nail with hammock): I answered "C - both the same" as I reasoned that the force of hamock is either perpendicular to the nail or very close to it, and that any horizontal component is likely to be tiny. With hindsight, I imagine I was wrong. Numerical Reasoning component definitely favours those just out of education: both because of familiarity with operations of long multiplication and division (which allows for speedier answering), and because of need to deal with fractions (there being several questions involving which).

Trix123; will you please say what was on that list of questions which you mentioned it was necessary to complete for UK? How does the on-line test work? Wouldn't cheating be a concern? Thanks

I am very annoyed about that test as if I had known I could have looked over the maths and physics again and like that over thinking, especially the microwave and the bloody metal spoons!!!!
    Maths defo LC standard which is not aptitude as knowledge of fractions is an acquired knowledge same with physics , with angles and microwave etc etc, just such a bad test I can't tell you, especially as a teacher I can see how it is completely discriminatory to aptitude and then the secrecy around it all!!!!

NATS if you have a degree you do an online test, a series of numbers and letters come up onscreen and you must match within 9 seconds. You must answer what seems like a mammoth of questions!!! I mean so many pages about yourself. So basically they are looking for innate and inherent quick thinking and ability to discriminate which is what ATC is all about, not this nonsense of adding fractions!!! and microwaves!!
    Then the paper and pencil has the same topics as Ire but not the same content likewise that ability to quickly discriminate numbers is a must have in radar! They give you sample paper and answers and you can reapply again for the next round. If you get to do the tower your training is a lot shorter than radar but in Ire you must do all the training, which is also BS.
    I see now that they NATS, are talking about another "online" test, so maybe that is the aptitude online? Or else they are talking about the first test online to encourage more people. I don't know, they are very very very bad at responding to you , as in they never do!
    The air traffic in UK sorts the men from the boys in Ire, but go for it, nothing to lose, and so much opportunity to travel and move up the ladder, whereas in Ire it is really who you know.. And I know that for a fact..

I don't agree that one who did Physics would have a direct advantage for the Mechanical Reasoning component (indirectly, they perhaps have learned to think in mechanical way).
    I'd have to agree. I don't think physics helped me at all. Granted its a long time since I studied it, but if I had to pick subjects which I felt may have helped in the Pencil & Paper test then I'd have to say engineering, technical drawing and honours maths were the most useful.
    I felt, at times, that I read too much into questions as a result of my having done it. Take question 1 (screw vs nail with hammock): I answered "C - both the same" as I reasoned that the force of hamock is either perpendicular to the nail or very close to it, and that any horizontal component is likely to be tiny. With hindsight, I imagine I was wrong.
    I think you may be right :eek: (about the over-thinking). I looked at that one and reasoned that the threads of the screw would offer greater grip compared to the (relatively) smooth surface of the nail - thus if a force was exerted on the end of both the screw would put up more resistance and as a result offer the stronger mounting point.

Ya but at the end of the day , they were related to physics angles, speed around a corner, rowing, microwave and conductivity of metals, the list is endless... If you didn't do physics you didn't stand a chance. The numeracy also, closely linked to LC and not innate maths ability and that is the point of aptitude tests. Those aptitude tests by Pearson are for schools and are administered a lot in the states but for adults the normal tests are by can't think of the name it begins with S... Ill think of it and put it up...
    ATC is about quick thinking and being able to numerically discriminate between the levels of planes passing and that is vital and that is what NATS tests TWICE!!
    So before you even do the paper and pencil aptitude test they test your speed and ability to find I think its a sequence of 7 or 9 numbers (its long!!) within 7-o seconds and if successful then you progress onto atptitude where again they test your ability to find the sequence (that skill so vital I can't fathom why or how it wasn't on the Irish test since they train everyone in radar) then onto feast etc etc

If you didn't do physics you didn't stand a chance.
    I'm afraid I'd have to strongly disagree with you there. I did Ordinary level physics in the leaving cert, and barely scraped a pass due to a less-than-useless teacher. Can't see how that would have been much use at all to me.

SHL their the ones that do most of the adult aptitude tests...and there is nothing in mechanical reasoning based on any physics unlike our one we sat

• Advertisement

ya but passing the LC physics and knowing basic physics for an aptitude test like the one we did is completely different, LC physics has graphs etc
    This test was all physics completely without any doubt. Mechanical reasoning is about assembly and mechanics not physics and like I wrote Pearson (who were they suppliers of thepencil and paper we did) is for secondary and high school!! And the one we sat proves my point...
    Just can't fathom where they think the link in knowledge of fractions and microwave etc is related to ATC.

Advertisement