Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nevin Maguire

Options
  • 08-04-2013 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭

I must say, I think he's superb. I had a fantastic meal at his restaurant about 6 years ago and can still taste the lamb he cooked. His recipes are on rte and I must say each and every one looks delicious

http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/chefs/neven-maguire/

Good man Nevin!

Loire.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I watch the show a bit. I like some of his stuff, a bit too haute for dinners for the family every now and then mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Can't say I've tried his recipes but anytime I've seen him on the box he seems fairly down to earth compared to other prima donna tv chefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Ate in McNeen's last year and had the best meal of my life hands down, better than any Michelin restaurant I've ever been in. Well worth treating yourself, he went around and spoke with every guest after the meal was a really nice guy. Glad to see him doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 1 McCar

I love his show on the telly and have his recipe books.
    He uses everyday ingredients that are easy to find in the local supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you went to his restaurant, whats the actual chance of you getting a meal cooked by himself, rather than by some other chef?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

You can catch some of his shows on the rte player: http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10137878/. I only start watching it this year but I think it's brilliant (bar the intro music!). It's great to have a show on that deals with some of the more complex cooking techniques and modern presentation. It seemed for a while there that cooking shows were having a race to the bottom in terms of speed/simplicity (not that there's anything wrong with that kind of cooking, mind!)

Anyway, a friend of mine went to Macnean house around Christmas nd said he had the best meal of his life. Neven came around afterwards too and chatted to everyone so seems a lovely chap by accounts. Fair play to him and long may his success continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

NIMAN wrote: »
    If you went to his restaurant, whats the actual chance of you getting a meal cooked by himself, rather than by some other chef?

He's the head chef so more than likely he's not going to be cooking much himself, but will be checking the dishes that do go out.

Not sure how many nights he's in the restaurant but from the number of people saying he's called around to the tables afterwards it would seem he's there way more than any other "celebrity" chef.

Does it really matter anyway, the restaurant is his vision whether he cooked it or not doesn't come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

There was a 6 month wait for a booking the last time I checked which means he must be doing something right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I was thinking of cooking his braised shoulder of lamb recipe for a dinner party.

It is boned and rolled, braised, chilled, sliced into portions then fried. Sounds and looks delicious, but too expensive to do a trial run before party.

Has anyone tried cooking it or tasted it in his restaurant? Maybe I should just trust him and go for it.

http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2013/0416/3789-braised-shoulder-of-lamb-with-mediterranean-couscous/

Advertisement