Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i make a lamp cable any length?

Options
  • 08-04-2013 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I have a tall lamp in the hall but the place I want to put it is the opposite side from a socket. I would need to run a cable around 2 doors for a permanent fix. My question is can I disconnect
    the wire from the lamp and connect a longer th h length to reach the socket or indeed could I make up a long extension lead with one socket and plug and then connect the lamp that way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

batman1 wrote: »
    I have a tall lamp in the hall but the place I want to put it is the opposite side from a socket. I would need to run a cable around 2 doors for a permanent fix. My question is can I disconnect
    the wire from the lamp and connect a longer th h length to reach the socket or indeed could I make up a long extension lead with one socket and plug and then connect the lamp that way?

you would be better off getting a new socket wired
    might be easier and safer to do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

As above best get another socket fitted.

But that said, doesn't meant what you want to do cant be done safely. In fact I have the same in my own place for a corner lamp. I opened up the floor foot switch, disconnected the old cable and connected in 4m of cable. So there was no external join in the cable...

Advertisement