Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What references can landlords ask for?

Options
  • 08-04-2013 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Recently looked into renting a place, found one I really like but the landlord wants a reference from my work. I understand wanting a reference from previous landslords but is it ok to ask for one from work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Quiet Girl wrote: »
    Recently looked into renting a place, found one I really like but the landlord wants a reference from my work. I understand wanting a reference from previous landslords but is it ok to ask for one from work?

I had this too, it's pretty standard and they just need a short one liner saying you work there, basically proving to the landlord you have an income (and thereby have the means pay your rent on time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Quiet Girl

Oh ok, yes I suppose that makes sense. Thanks :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Landlord's can ask for references from where-so-ever they choose. Whether they are entitled to them, or whether you supply them- are two totally separate other matters. Its not unusual for a landlord to request a work reference- alongside a reference from your most recent landlord. They can ask for a whole lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

LLs are going to have to start asking for more and more intrusive details. The law heavily favours a rogue tenant, so LLs are going to start protecting themselves that bit more. Common practice in Germany is for the LL or his agent to request pay slips and your SCHUFA credit rating, as well as the usual 3 months rent as a deposit. Previous LL references can be fairly easily manipulated, so LLs will want to see concrete evidence that you are in paid employment at least. That's my feeling on the way we're headed. Good tenants can blame the rogue ones for this I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Quiet Girl

I dont mind providing a short reference from work, im just not sure how comfortable I would providing evidence of my salary, so lets hope it wont head in that direction. I just think how much I get paid is nobody's business but mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

As things stand I dont think a landlord has any right to expect to be given a copy of a tenants payslip. References are one thing, but I am not comfortable giving out any information that is of a more personal nature than that. Certainly if I was asked for a payslip by a prospective landlord they wouldnt be getting one. If that meant I didnt get the property then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

If they ask for a payslip and you don't want to provide one then just rent somewhere else that doesn't require one. Once they all require it though you won't have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Provide them with a photo copy of one with the number blacked out.

If they really want to argue that it is to prove you have an income then that should suffice.

I wouldn't want to be weakening my negotiating position when it comes to the actual rent amount or subsequent renegotiation by tell him/her what I earn.

djimi wrote: »
    As things stand I dont think a landlord has any right to expect to be given a copy of a tenants payslip. References are one thing, but I am not comfortable giving out any information that is of a more personal nature than that. Certainly if I was asked for a payslip by a prospective landlord they wouldnt be getting one. If that meant I didnt get the property then so be it.
    That would be your choice of course, but I fell the law is so skewed now in favour of misbehaving tenants (most tenants are decent of course) that LLs are gonna start pushing first for work references as standard and then soon thereafter for payslips or bank statements showing salary payments.

murphaph wrote: »
    That would be your choice of course, but I fell the law is so skewed now in favour of misbehaving tenants (most tenants are decent of course) that LLs are gonna start pushing first for work references as standard and then soon thereafter for payslips or bank statements showing salary payments.

If the day comes that it becomes standard then so be it, but until that day arrives there is no way I would hand over my bank statements to a stranger, and I would imagine the overwhelming majority would feel the same. There might be misbehaving tenants out there, but there are also a lot of cowboy landlords who I wouldnt trust as far as I could throw with that kind of information.

• Advertisement

If the day comes that it becomes standard then so be it, but until that day arrives there is no way I would hand over my bank statements to a stranger, and I would imagine the overwhelming majority would feel the same. There might be misbehaving tenants out there, but there are also a lot of cowboy landlords who I wouldnt trust as far as I could throw with that kind of information.
    I understand your concerns alright and sure it could all be handled differently with a properly regulated rental sector that protected good landlords and tenants from bad ones. Unfortunately the govt has decided that LLs are basically fair game for targeting and the PRTB is a manifestation of that.

The PRTB could easily be set up to hold records of landlords and tenants that could be easily checked by prospective parties. Tenants should be able to check if their prospective LL has a habit of claiming above average repair costs from deposits or if a tenant has a history of rent arrears etc.

Until that day, each side will have to fend for itself as best it can and I just see this as a natural progression of that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would agree with the first part but not the second. Most people happily give up all sorts of personal information to complete strangers without even thinking about it. You see it all the time with chuggers and door to door salesmen, people giving their bank account details to random people on the street:eek:.

WRT OP as others have said a landlord can ask for whatever they want. You are under no obligation to provide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I was recently told that the manager of the properties in my local area (Balbriggan, Co. Dublin) was toying with the idea of getting Garda Clearance for new tenants!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

ElleEm wrote: »
    I was recently told that the manager of the properties in my local area (Balbriggan, Co. Dublin) was toying with the idea of getting Garda Clearance for new tenants!

i'd have no objection if i was asked for that.

One of my landlords before asked for a Copy of my payslip. told him i wouldnt supply one (none of their business knowing what i earn) so they relented and asked just for a work referance (something to say that i'm employed)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Landlords can ask for bank references and some do. They can only be exchanged between banks. Things are moving on from the casual days of small ads in the evening paper and rent paid in cash weekly. With the new laws tenants are going to end up having to live in lodgings type situations or go through rigorous screening any pay heavily for self catering accommodation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Kosseegan wrote: »
    Landlords can ask for bank references and some do. They can only be exchanged between banks. Things are moving on from the casual days of small ads in the evening paper and rent paid in cash weekly. With the new laws tenants are going to end up having to live in lodgings type situations or go through rigorous screening any pay heavily for self catering accommodation.

I am not sure I understand your post but in general in areas of high demand landlords can be choosey. Elsewhere a landlord may have to accept a less than premium tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

You could always ask the LL in return to see deeds to the property or else a reference from his lender to prove his finances are stable and the bank isn't breathing down his neck and one step away from reposessing the property you intend on being your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ElleEm wrote: »

This is (well was two years ago) standard procedure in one of the larger voluntary housing agencies that operates in the republic.

The clearances were turned around in a week or two: none of the silly three month delays that people applying for jobs experience.

Duckjob wrote: »
    You could always ask the LL in return to see deeds to the property or else a reference from his lender to prove his finances are stable and the bank isn't breathing down his neck and one step away from reposessing the property you intend on being your home.

What I would be asking of a landlord is statement that show the are up to date with payment of their management fees, as that is something that will have a first hand effect on the tenant.

It is a fair point and as I said previously it depends who has the power in the negotiation. If you are in a queue of 6 people to get an apartment in D4 and start asking the landlord for proof of management fees and mortgage payments I would say you are not going to get the apartment. However if you are in Portlaoise where there is a huge over supply of accommodation you can make the landlord jump through hoops before you sign anything.

• Advertisement

What I would be asking of a landlord is statement that show the are up to date with payment of their management fees, as that is something that will have a first hand effect on the tenant.
    If a tenant asked me for that I'd have no problem with it tbh. Might show the tenant has some cop on. I don't have any property with management fees (except the one I live in in Germany) so it's not something I'd have to worry about personally.

I don't think a tenant has any right to know a landlord's mortgage status. If he's in arrears, the tenant will still have the same agreement with the new owner according to law.

At the end of the day, the market will decide what LLs can request. In high demand areas LLs will be able to be more picky and demanding in what they ask from their tenants. In low demand areas, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

murphaph wrote: »
    I don't think a tenant has any right to know a landlord's mortgage status. If he's in arrears, the tenant will still have the same agreement with the new owner according to law.

I don't think thats right. What you are saying implies the LL can only sell the house to another LL. Do you have a link for this ?

AFAIK a new buyer is under no obligation to keep on a sitting tenant. if the house is repossessed and sold, anybody can buy it, say they need it for themselves and the tenant is out.

Even apart from that current LL could be a gem and house could get sold to another LL who turns out to be a complete cnut.

If I were looking for a place to rent, I would consider it my reasonable right to know my tenure was secure for a fixed period, and rented from somebody i like and trust.

Advertisement