Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 3: Episode 2 *** Have NOT read the books/SPOILERS ***

• 08-04-2013 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭

Brienne and Jaime finally get it on. :D

Cersei's comment about the tiny bit of fabric being more than enough for Margery's wedding dress was classic.

Also Margery twisting Joffrey around her little finger masterfully. Sansa is growing on me and I can't see things ending well for Shae and Tyrion.

After only starting watching Game of Thrones a couple of weeks ago this waiting a week for new episodes is tough. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I thought it was a bit boring. There were a few funny moments but that was it. I find myself looking forward to the next episode for the same reasons I was looking forward to that episode. NOTHING HAPPENED! No mention of Daenerys at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Yeah I agree it hasn't been great so far but I thought this episode was a bit better.

My favourite scene was Sansa, Margery and her Grandmother with Sansa finally speaking out about Jeoffrey, the Grandmother is great :) Catelyn's story about John Snow was also very good.

I was never the biggest fan of Shae but the way she got jealous when Tyrion mentioned that Sansa was desirable really put me off her.

It also seems like Robb is losing the support of his men, I think marrying Talisa is going to backfire on him one way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

little idea who the kid who appeared in the dream and reality is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah Robb is losing the support of his lords, there is nothing in it for them because he isn't after the crown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

I thought it was pretty boring myself too. Thought it might have been faster paced given the first episode wasn't exactly fantastic either. Lots of the stuff seemed like time wasting.. showing Sam fall over, that whole charade with Arya being seen by the hand.. could have just been seen by him without introducing that other massive bunch etc.. I don't think there was anything particularly new there really apart from confirmation of Bran seeing through animals which was kind of obvious to some extent anyway after they showed the guy at it in the north.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

"It's a pity the throne isn't made of cocks, they'd never get him off it". That line had me in tears. I take it Jaime is heading back to Robb Stark now.

The scene with Margery manipulating Joffrey was good. I doubt she is just doing it to make her husband happy. Could the Tyrells be looking to take out the Lannisters and take the throne for themselves perhaps?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bloody 'ell, more new characters. It was enjoyable enough, if nothing special, but the show is beginning to creek along the edges from the the sheer number of main characters it has to follow; I know the fans would have been up in arms, but there's an argument to be had that some judicious pruning could have been done, and certain characters/their arcs dropped. The whistle-stop tour of Westeros hardly gives the viewer time to breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

A couple of elements reminded of Robin Hood stories in this episode

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

For anyone else wondering the guy who Theon's sister sent is played by Iwan Rheon. He played Simon on Misfits. That was wrecking my head for a while.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Slow stuff again.

My favourite bit of the episode was Sansa talking with the Tyrells. Sansa letting her face slip when Olenna mentions Ned being a traitor was very well acted. You can see her pain and her rage. She's suffocating in King's Landing and was finally able to breathe, if only for a split second.

Speaking of the Tyrells, Margaery certainly looks comfortable playing the game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Of course the moment Granny Tyrell said Sansa could trust them, then you really knew the young Stark shouldn've had turned tail & run. She's clearly being used & I imagine once Margaery has pumped her for information, will be discarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Boring episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Mackenzie Crook! BOOM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Is it just me or has the actor who plays Bran, having hit puberty, lost a bit of the innocence and childishness that was portrayed by that character originally. Also his height has shot up.

Why do people think Arya was bested by the brotherhood lad (Thoros of Myr?) so easily in the sword fight? Perhaps the sword wasn't the needle-like weight she was used to.

Margaery is looking unreal this season, simply gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

decent episode and a bit of mike strutter ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭calabi yau

I have to say I found season two to be equally as slow as this is. I think it's a device used by the makers or that's what happens when you stick closely to the books. Things don't usually kick off until episode 6

DL Saint wrote: »
    Is it just me or has the actor who plays Bran, having hit puberty, lost a bit of the innocence and childishness that was portrayed by that character originally. Also his height has shot up.

No, he is clearly older looking; it's kinda the same problem that happened in Lost with Walt, where the actor aged quicker than the character he was playing. I dunno what kind of time-frame we're talking about in GoT, but the actor would be a year older at this stage.
    Why do people think Arya was bested by the brotherhood lad (Thoros of Myr?) so easily in the sword fight? Perhaps the sword wasn't the needle-like weight she was used to.

Probably because it was a different type of sword to the one she was used to; it looked like a heavy, soldier's sword, rather than something like Sting (speaking of, what happened that, I can't recall)

Random aside I remembered later - when Rob was telling his mum about the fate of Winterfell, he said the Boltons found Winterfell in ruins, the Iron Islanders having already fled. But we know that to be untrue: they were camped outside for a long while & so it seems like the Islanders used Greyjoy as a bargaining tool for safe passage. Who burned down Winterfell, and what are the Boltons really up to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

who spotted Dennis Pennis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

pixelburp wrote: »
    rather than something like Sting (speaking of, what happened that, I can't recall)

Does Frodo not have sting ?? Arya has/needle. It was taken off her when she was captured and taken to harrenhall but I cant remember if she got it back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Have worked out why everyone thinks this episode was boring.... No boobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Great episode I thought. The inevitable clash between JL & Brienne was excellently done.
    I love the Arya storyline and can't wait to see where its going now as the Brotherhood will certainly not release her now. She's not in any danger with them though I would have thought.

The Bran storyline always bored me, at least now after last night its making a bit more sense.

Probably because it was a different type of sword to the one she was used to; it looked like a heavy, soldier's sword, rather than something like Sting (speaking of, what happened that, I can't recall)

I would have thought the answer was rather simpler; Arya is a small girl who has had a few training sessions with wooden swords, while Thoros is an experienced, battle hardened warrior. Jaime mentioned him in season one to Ned's master of arms, saying Thoros was the first through the breach at Pyke during the Greyjoy rebellion. Suffice as to say, he's got skillz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

little idea who the kid who appeared in the dream and reality is

He was Liam Neeson's kid in Love Actually:

tumblr_m72h3wvyCq1qe5yk6.gif

thomas-brodie-sangster-got-1364317312.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Was the inn where arya was spotted by the hound the same Inn as where Caetlyn Stark arrested the Imp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Arya is a little girl, Thoras is a man, I don't see the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

It is a bit slow to start but what I noticed about season 1 and 2 is that it never really got intense and crazy until about episode 6 of each season, all episodes before were just building up to it. That's my opinion anyway, still loving the season so far!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

irish son wrote: »
    Arya is a little girl, Thoras is a man, I don't see the confusion.

Yeah, he's a pretty well known and accomplished knight who would have faught in the hand's tourney in season 1 (though not on screen) which is why The Hound knows him by name. Arya never finished her lessons with Syrio, she's probably better than your average kid with a sword but is no matched for an adult swordsman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Boring episode.

Really? Why? I thought it was quite a good episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

krudler wrote: »

tumblr_m72h3wvyCq1qe5yk6.gif

thomas-brodie-sangster-got-1364317312.jpg
    He's incredibly annoying in anything I've seen him in. Hopefully he's not going to become a major character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

DeepBlue wrote: »
    He's incredibly annoying in anything I've seen him in. Hopefully he's not going to become a major character.

I actually thought he was quite good in his scenes last night, seems to have an easy charm about him

I found him odd. Very, very odd. His sister too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He was also in the Doctor Who Human Nature/Family of Blood two-part episode as Tim Lattimer

TwoTims.jpg

(the one on the left)

This episode was a real "Where do I know them from?" episode. Simon from Misfits, Dennis Pennis, Mackenzie Crook and this kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Why would this brotherhood crowd have captured The Hound? What would they have against him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Degag wrote: »
    Why would this brotherhood crowd have captured The Hound? What would they have against him?

His brother The Mountain is searching the countryside and torturing people for information on the Brotherhood

There were people being tortured in Harenhall last season with rats

mikemac1 wrote: »
    His brother The Mountain is searching the countryside and torturing people for information on the Brotherhood

There were people being tortured in Harenhall last season with rats
    Ok, and why is The Mountain looking for information on The Brotherhood? Sorry, must have missed all this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You didn't miss anything at all, the TV show gives very little info about them.

The Lannisters considers them outlaws that should be rounded up and hanged, others may have a different opinion

Well going by their title, The Brotherhood without Banners, I'm guessing they're a general group of the lower class, or maybe one of the lower nobility, who have refused to march under a Lords banner. Which would make them honourless bandits in the eyes of the Lannisters (and the Starks I'd presume). Why they refused I presume we'll get to at some point

Edit: oh, I guess not, if blay's post below is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Ok, and why is The Mountain looking for information on The Brotherhood? Sorry, must have missed all this.

I'm not 100% sure if this is was only mentioned in the books or not, but even so it would have only been a very minor detail in the first book. I've read the mod note in the thread for the first episode and I think it should be ok to say this.

No spoilers of future events below, just a very minor detail which I can't remember whether it was mentioned in the TV series or not, it's safe to read unless you are or are planning to read the first book and are very put off by minor spoilers.
    Thoros of Myr took part in the Hand's Tourney from season 1 (though he didn't appear on screen) and unhorsed Beric Dondarrion and won the melee. After this, he joined the party led by Beric Dondarrion which was sent by Ned to find the Mountain. That party in time became the Brotherhood Without Banners which would be why the Mountain is looking for information on them. This could also explain why they took the Hound prisoner. They wouldn't have any allegiance to a house or king as they were under orders from Ned as Hand originally, but due to his death they became independant.

EDIT: Pretty much what Blay says below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Ned Stark sent a group of men under Beric Dondarrion in Season 1 to execute Gregor for raiding the Riverlands on the orders of Tywin Lannister. He had ordered him to do it in revenge for Catelyn taking Tyrion prisoner.

When Robert dies and Ned is declared a traitor, the men he sent (Beric, Thoros etc.) are declared outlaws and are hunted down by Gregor etc. They then become the Brotherhood Without Banners.

Have to say, i quite like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Bloody 'ell, more new characters. It was enjoyable enough, if nothing special, but the show is beginning to creek along the edges from the the sheer number of main characters it has to follow; I know the fans would have been up in arms, but there's an argument to be had that some judicious pruning could have been done, and certain characters/their arcs dropped. The whistle-stop tour of Westeros hardly gives the viewer time to breath.

They've cut quite a bit already.

Westeros is a small world and cutting out a character in one place can adversely affect the story elsewhere. Just go with it.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

"It's a pity the throne isn't made of cocks, they'd never get him off it". That line had me in tears. I take it Jaime is heading back to Robb Stark now.

The scene with Margery manipulating Joffrey was good. I doubt she is just doing it to make her husband happy. Could the Tyrells be looking to take out the Lannisters and take the throne for themselves perhaps?

If Margery can manage Joffrey her son will be king. They wouldn't want to even attempt a coup until she has his heir cooking in her womb.

Margaery is looking unreal this season, simply gorgeous.

Because she's a freakin' child who got a few swordplay lessons from Spanish Robert Downey Jr. and not a battle-hardened leader of a group of ex-bannermen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

no who he is in the story, i looked it up, another "unseen characters son" *shrug*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

no who he is in the story, i looked it up, another "unseen characters son" *shrug*

Jojen is the son of Howland Reed, one of Ned Starks dearest friends and an ally during Roberts Rebellion . The Reeds are head of the Craggonmen who live by the swamps south of Winterfell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Jojen is the son of Howland Reed, one of Ned Starks dearest friends and an ally during Roberts Rebellion . The Reeds are head of the Crannogmen who live by the swamps south of Winterfell.
    FYP - not normally a stickler for spelling but when it's one that references something so Irish in ASOIAF I had to!

Howland Reed hasn't been cut for the TV series either. While the introduction to Jojen and Meera is a little different in the books than the TV series (think I actually prefer the TV intro myself), they still arrive to the story sent by their father rather than at his side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Syferus wrote: »

Because she's a freakin' child who got a few swordplay lessons from Spanish Robert Downey Jr. and not a battle-hardened leader of a group of ex-bannermen.

Wasn't he the guy even Jaime was praising in season 1? or was that Selmy, with the flaming sword?

Am liking Margery, she's playing Joffrey like a fool, once Sansa let slip he was a psycho she's playing up to his sadistic tendencies and acting like she enjoys killing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Wasn't he the guy even Jaime was praising in season 1? or was that Selmy, with the flaming sword?

Am liking Margery, she's playing Joffrey like a fool, once Sansa let slip he was a psycho she's playing up to his sadistic tendencies and acting like she enjoys killing.

It's not a commentary on a teacher's ability if a child he instructs is beaten by a fully grown and experienced man.

Would you be a black belt in Jeet Kune Do if Bruce Lee rolled up and gave you a couple hours training?

EDIT: If I took you up wrong - his name was Syrio Forel, I can't remember who Jamie praised though I'd lean towards Selmy.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thoros is known for setting his swords on fire during battle yeah, not really a spoiler but can't remember if its been mentioned in passing:
    its because he's a priest in the same religion as Melisandre.
    He uses wildfire for it.

Syferus wrote: »
    It's not a commentary on a teacher's ability if a child he instructs is beaten by a fully grown and experienced man.

Would you be a black belt in Jee Kune Do if Bruce Lee rolled up and have you a couple hours training?

He didn't disagree with you.

Edit: Just saw your edit above, he was asking about Thoros of Myr, the guy played by Paul Kaye. Jaimie mentions him in season 1, not sure if its the same scene he's praising Selmy of not.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Penn wrote: »
    He was also in the Doctor Who Human Nature/Family of Blood two-part episode as Tim Lattimer

TwoTims.jpg

(the one on the left)

This episode was a real "Where do I know them from?" episode. Simon from Misfits, Dennis Pennis, Mackenzie Crook and this kid.

He was also in Accused, as was Sean Bean, whose voice we heard just before this guy showed up.

Penn wrote: »

TwoTims.jpg

(the one on the left)

Thanks for that. Wasn't sure which he was until you pointed it out. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement