Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard will it be to arrange a place to live in Ireland when I return from abroad?

Options
  • 08-04-2013 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

This might be both too general and specific a question but here goes...

I will be working and living abroad for six months starting this summer but I need a new place to live in Ireland when I return. I was wondering how difficult it might be to arrange everything, to contact the landlord, agree to a contract without meeting face-to-face (and without seeing the accommodation), etc etc over the phone/ email? How long before I return would I need to start looking and contacting potential landlords?

I won't have a place to crash or stay when I get back so I can't start the search while in the country on my return, unfortunately.

I would be looking at living in the countryside and not in a city, if that makes a big difference.

Anyway, I would appreciate any thoughts or bits of advice people with experience of this might have on this since it's already making me slightly anxious about leaving!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Given the state of some rentals in this country, the vast difference between what you see on Daft and what you get in reality, and also some of the absolute cowboys playing landlord at the moment, I would very strongly advise you not to rent somewhere without seeing it first.

If it were me, I would be booking into a hotel for a few days when I got back until I sort everything out. If you have cash and are ready to move in immediately then you shouldnt take too long to find somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Initially, rent a room in an owner occupied house, as a lodger. Not too difficult and cheaper than renting.
    Then, that will give you time to look for somewhere more "stable".

I did that and from abroad as well. - A year later and I'm still looking for somewhere permanent and to my liking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

OP even if it means paying someone €200 to go around looking at 3 or 4 places for you I would do it. Someone trusted of course who can give you an objective view on each place and what the landlord is like.

The pics you see on Daft can sometimes be years out of date or they can also be not the right pics at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Tatankbull wrote: »
    This might be both too general and specific a question but here goes...

I will be working and living abroad for six months starting this summer but I need a new place to live in Ireland when I return. I was wondering how difficult it might be to arrange everything, to contact the landlord, agree to a contract without meeting face-to-face (and without seeing the accommodation), etc etc over the phone/ email? How long before I return would I need to start looking and contacting potential landlords?

I won't have a place to crash or stay when I get back so I can't start the search while in the country on my return, unfortunately.

I would be looking at living in the countryside and not in a city, if that makes a big difference.

Anyway, I would appreciate any thoughts or bits of advice people with experience of this might have on this since it's already making me slightly anxious about leaving!!

That will probably stand to you as there is plenty of vacant supply outside the cities.

Stay in a B&B first (or rent a room) and don't commit to a lease on a place you've never seen. Unless the landlord is really desperate, they'll want to meet you too before giving you the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tatankbull

Thanks for all the replies. I think you're right... it might be more convenient in the very short term to find a place online and just have that to come home to but there's so many dodgy people out there on daft... I think i'll need to either find a mate to have a look at a few places I find online for me, or to come home myself and stay in a hostel/ B&B two weeks beforehand.

The idea of looking for a year to find a suitable place to live is a bit terrifying!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Tatankbull wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. I think you're right... it might be more convenient in the very short term to find a place online and just have that to come home to but there's so many dodgy people out there on daft... I think i'll need to either find a mate to have a look at a few places I find online for me, or to come home myself and stay in a hostel/ B&B two weeks beforehand.

The idea of looking for a year to find a suitable place to live is a bit terrifying!
    I have tried to purchase 4 different properties but there was problem with each one - incorrect paper work which could take months to sort out and management companies that had little money in the kitty for the number of apartments in the complex.

odds_on wrote: »
    I have tried to purchase 4 different properties but there was problem with each one - incorrect paper work which could take months to sort out and management companies that had little money in the kitty for the number of apartments in the complex.

Sorry to hear that- I'm hoping things will be easier for me since I'll be only looking to rent. If the worse comes to worst, I can always move after 6 months or a year. I hope...!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

Assuming you will have internet wherever you are going, you could book a B&B for your arrival back to Ireland - budget for a few days stay until you find a place to rent/share. You could have Viewings lined up for the day after you get back to Ireland...?Dont pay for anything until you meet the landlord and see the place. There is no shortage of accommodation.

mari2222 wrote: »
    Assuming you will have internet wherever you are going, you could book a B&B for your arrival back to Ireland - budget for a few days stay until you find a place to rent/share. You could have Viewings lined up for the day after you get back to Ireland...?Dont pay for anything until you meet the landlord and see the place. There is no shortage of accommodation.

Yeah, I think that's the best option. I'll just have a few houses lined up, check them out over the course of a week or so and stay in b&bs/ hostels until then. Cheers.

Advertisement