Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emobile Upgrade Rip-Off

Options
  • 08-04-2013 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I've been with Emobile for nearly 18 months on a friends & family plan 0f €34.50 per month (select unlimited). I do like the plan, but when I rang up the upgrade team, I thought I would be charged €199 for the iPhone 5 32GB model. I spoke with Sharon who said it was "from €199" and she said she would get the upgrade price for me. Whle I waited, I brought up the iPhone smart plans and saw that the model I wanted was €289 on my plan, but when Sharon came back to me, she said it would be €389 for me. The reason: I have a discount on the price I pay for my plan. However, this should not have an effect on the price I pay for an upgrade. It looks like I am being shafted for an extra €100 for the phone because I am getting a discount on the price I pay for the plan. This wouldn't be such an issue, but...I bought the iPhone 4s 18 months ago and I only paid €299 for the 64GB model. I don't think I was penalised for my discount back then, or was I?

I'm a little disappointed by this Emobile. It's not right to give someone a friends and family discount and then charge them more for an upgrade. I would have been happy to pay €289 as quoted online, but the extra €100 because of my discount plan is counter productive. I would prefer to be charged an extra €5.55 per month over the 18 months for my plan, rather than this upfront extra €100. There is no online price for the price I was quoted, which is very poor practice. I'm considering changing provider now, so I might just wait until my contract is officially up on May 5th. And I wouldn't be migrating to Meteor either for obvious reasons.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 690 ✭✭✭eMobile: Grainne

goz83 wrote: »
    I've been with Emobile for nearly 18 months on a friends & family plan 0f €34.50 per month (select unlimited). I do like the plan, but when I rang up the upgrade team, I thought I would be charged €199 for the iPhone 5 32GB model. I spoke with Sharon who said it was "from €199" and she said she would get the upgrade price for me. Whle I waited, I brought up the iPhone smart plans and saw that the model I wanted was €289 on my plan, but when Sharon came back to me, she said it would be €389 for me. The reason: I have a discount on the price I pay for my plan. However, this should not have an effect on the price I pay for an upgrade. It looks like I am being shafted for an extra €100 for the phone because I am getting a discount on the price I pay for the plan. This wouldn't be such an issue, but...I bought the iPhone 4s 18 months ago and I only paid €299 for the 64GB model. I don't think I was penalised for my discount back then, or was I?

I'm a little disappointed by this Emobile. It's not right to give someone a friends and family discount and then charge them more for an upgrade. I would have been happy to pay €289 as quoted online, but the extra €100 because of my discount plan is counter productive. I would prefer to be charged an extra €5.55 per month over the 18 months for my plan, rather than this upfront extra €100. There is no online price for the price I was quoted, which is very poor practice. I'm considering changing provider now, so I might just wait until my contract is officially up on May 5th. And I wouldn't be migrating to Meteor either for obvious reasons.
    Hi goz83,

With the family and friends plan the price of the phone has never been the price of the phone on the Unlimited plan as you are availing of such a great offer. The price of the phone is always set at the Select 500 price

Unfortunately it will not be possible to allow customers on this offer to reduce the price of the phone.

Grainne

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Hi goz83,

With the family and friends plan the price of the phone has never been the price of the phone on the Unlimited plan as you are availing of such a great offer. The price of the phone is always set at the Select 500 price

Unfortunately it will not be possible to allow customers on this offer to reduce the price of the phone.

Grainne

Thanks for the reply. It would be nice if this information were made available to the customers availing of this discount. I know at least 6 others on it; 4 of whom are now considering a change after I told them of my experience. 1 is happy to just have a cheap phone and the other thinks the deal is fair.....i suppose everyone has an opinion. I would like to see this info being made available to such customers BEFORE they ring for an upgrade.

• Company Representative Posts: 690 ✭✭✭eMobile: Grainne

goz83 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. It would be nice if this information were made available to the customers availing of this discount. I know at least 6 others on it; 4 of whom are now considering a change after I told them of my experience. 1 is happy to just have a cheap phone and the other thinks the deal is fair.....i suppose everyone has an opinion. I would like to see this info being made available to such customers BEFORE they ring for an upgrade.
    Hi goz83,

I totally understand and yes I agree that this should be advised before availing of an upgrade. I have passed your request onto the relevant team.

Post here if you have any other queries.

Grainne

Advertisement