Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does Cork need?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

goochy wrote: »
    a less insular and more outward thinking population and to have the friendly atmosphere of Galway , limerick and other cities
    We'll get right on that chief

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

a less insular and more outward thinking population and to have the friendly atmosphere of Galway , limerick and other cities

Why would we want to be like Galway or Limerick? The thread is about moving Cork forward, not backwards :rolleyes:

I'd start by making the GAA build a stadium that looks nice instead of that soviet inspired block they've swindled 70m for. The events centre is crucial and I think there should be more high quality housing nearer the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

would love to see the events centre and get decent gigs all year round. yes more housing needed and restoring all the rundown buildings along the likes of Shandon St, Barrick St etc

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

*24/7 gym
    *24/7 gym
    *24/7 gym
    *A better road network. More gridlike, there needs to be multiple paths between A and B, there are way too few ways in/out of the city resulting in massive bottlenecks
    *Better bus operator, BE are doing a horrible job. Buses are always late and DIRTY, meanwhile the price just keeps on increasing
    *24/7 gym

*24/7 gym
    *24/7 gym
    *24/7 gym
    *A better road network. More gridlike, there needs to be multiple paths between A and B, there are way too few ways in/out of the city resulting in massive bottlenecks
    *Better bus operator, BE are doing a horrible job. Buses are always late and DIRTY, meanwhile the price just keeps on increasing
    *24/7 gym
    The 24hour gym - I think we'd see one open if there was enough demand. Don't take me up wrong here - there is demand, for myself included, however you need enough of it to justify the cost of keping a business open 24hours

I think Dennehys expanding to Douglas may see this become a reality within the next year given how busy they've been in their opening few months but as it stands their hours of 6am - 11pm seem to cover most.

One the grid like traffic, you see that in places like New York or Barcelona where city planning was done well & efficiently from day one rather than alot of Irish cities which were large towns that simply sprawled - better organization going forward could definitely be called for & the proposed spaghetti junction @ Dunkettle is one of those plans that would be great to see implemented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

D'Agger wrote: »
    The 24hour gym - I think we'd see one open if there was enough demand. Don't take me up wrong here - there is demand, for myself included, however you need enough of it to justify the cost of keping a business open 24hours

I think Dennehys expanding to Douglas may see this become a reality within the next year given how busy they've been in their opening few months but as it stands their hours of 6am - 11pm seem to cover most.

One the grid like traffic, you see that in places like New York or Barcelona where city planning was done well & efficiently from day one rather than alot of Irish cities which were large towns that simply sprawled - better organization going forward could definitely be called for & the proposed spaghetti junction @ Dunkettle is one of those plans that would be great to see implemented.

Isn't Dennehys in Ballincollig a 24/7 gym?

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    Isn't Dennehys in Ballincollig a 24/7 gym?
    I think it used to be, however their hours are 6-11 & 8-8 or 9-8 on weekends, so I'm assuming demand for the Ballincollig branch wasn't meeting the supply. Douglas is a larger area, newer & nicer gym, wouldn't be surprised if it changed to 24hour for certain months of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mjavi

footlocker -- or a store with MORE basketball equipment especially those that release Jordans / Nike / Reebok sneakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

An airport. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

cork may have a better economy than lk city or Galway , but sometimes it seems limerick (never mind Galway ) feels more like a city and has an urban feel to it. could be because cork is down bottom of country , Limerick is between cork and galway and has Shannon airport while Galway is a goodtime city.

As you may have guessed not from Cork originally , while I love the place , I do find that it seems to lack a buzz or edge that other places have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why would Cork want to be more like Galway? Getting drenched and battered by Atlantic gales is not my idea of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

oh yes , I am getting blinded by the sun and on fire here in cork its so hot !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

cork may have a better economy than lk city or Galway , but sometimes it seems limerick (never mind Galway ) feels more like a city and has an urban feel to it. could be because cork is down bottom of country , Limerick is between cork and galway and has Shannon airport while Galway is a goodtime city.

As you may have guessed not from Cork originally , while I love the place , I do find that it seems to lack a buzz or edge that other places have.

What are you on about? Limerick is one long street with a few Georgian Streets off it and thats it. I was there last week for work and theres no way it feels more like a city than Cork. And what difference does the location of the place make? Bar the cross atlantic flights Shannon has next to no business. Back to the Limerick forum with ya and stop your silly talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

More rental accommodation. A Zara in the city! Better public transport.

We have a 24 hr gym at work. Would love to know who actually goes in there in the middle of the night. Lots go early (5/6am) and been there myself at 9-10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Finish work at 1 or 2 am depending on the night and would love a 24hr gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Lia_lia wrote:
    We have a 24 hr gym at work. Would love to know who actually goes in there in the middle of the night. Lots go early (5/6am) and been there myself at 9-10pm.

Where do you work out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

With the Ireland 2040 plan talk today,all I’m hearing is the M20 will be done.Is there going to be any money for the N28,the North Ring Road,the Docklands,the new Tivoli bridge.Talks that €115 billion will be spent Nationally.Can someone enlighten me.

On a sidenote,it’s great that Cork City Council looked at posts on this thread from a few years back and are finally revamping Patrick’s bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

On a sidenote,it’s great that Cork City Council looked at posts on this thread from a few years back and are finally revamping Patrick’s bridge.

Did they really?

About f-ing time in any case, for a centrepiece bridge it looked like something out of downtown Basra.

Heard somebody mention the lamps are being refurbished at the cost of 1million no idea if that figure is correct however.

Article Here

Also - was on Patrick St. the other night - delighted to see some of the large lights have had their bulbs replaced with brighter LED-esque bulbs rather than the useless Orange-hue bulbs we're used to. Seemed much brighter, safer - more like you'd expect in a city.

Advertisement