Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does Cork need?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

calnand wrote: »
    They are redeveloping the MarIan and Atlantic pond, but it's being held back by that save Marina park group. The fas building is now being used by local arts groups and the Crawford art school, if the building was knocked down now they would have nowhere to use as there's no other suitable location for them in cork.

I can't imagine that's a long term location. There were plans for a ~10 story tower there, mid boom. It won't happen any time soon, but whenever the property market recovers, that's an incredibly valuable location. It won't end up being a artists haven, or a park, sadly but understandably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'd be very surprised if that overhang is allowed.

The focal point down there needs to be St Finbarre's Cathedral and the walls of Elizabeth Fort, not some huge modern building it would be really out of character with the whole look of the place.

The brewery was ugly in many respects, but it was at least kind of higgldy-pigldy and not a big monolith like in that pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

I'm surprised they got approval for the Beamish and Crawford site - it just does not make sense logistically. I think it should be redeveloped and do something with it but just not a 5000 seater conference stadium. Especially when the location down by the docks seems to make perfect sense.

On Pairc Ui Chaoimh - I'd like to some real architectural thought put into it's redevelopment so that it could become a landmark/ tourist attraction in itself. Like the stadium in Braga or the old Olympic Stadium in Munich.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    On Pairc Ui Chaoimh - I'd like to some real architectural thought put into it's redevelopment so that it could become a landmark/ tourist attraction in itself. Like the stadium in Braga or the old Olympic Stadium in Munich.

I agree about Pairc Ui Chaoimh however I fear it's too late to change the plans now and what we are going to get will be a fairly boring looking stadium with a covered two-tier stand on one side.
    Unfortunately the GAA were not willing to be part of an all-Cork municipal stadium. If they considered something like the Olympic stadium they could have had as much land as they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colour Insanity

Personally would love to see the Docklands being renovated a bit - that whole side of town is a kip!

As a fervent user of public transport (like most of the teenage population of Cork) I'd love to see the railway being developed more to connect more of the satellite towns - the likes of Passage, Carrigline, etc.

Also, does anyone else agree that the entire Dyke Parade and Sheares Street could do with a lick of paint? If someone got onto Let's Colour it would be far less of an eyesore :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Personally would love to see the Docklands being renovated a bit - that whole side of town is a kip!

As a fervent user of public transport (like most of the teenage population of Cork) I'd love to see the railway being developed more to connect more of the satellite towns - the likes of Passage, Carrigline, etc.

Also, does anyone else agree that the entire Dyke Parade and Sheares Street could do with a lick of paint? If someone got onto Let's Colour it would be far less of an eyesore :D
    With people mentioning that a luas styled metro idea wouldn't be feasible in Cork until the docklands were developed then it could be seen as an opportunity passed up to get that going by not developing the new conference centre which has been announced for Alberts Quay. While that part of the city could do with redevelopment also and it may help to spread the city outwards, you'd think that there'd be more space and the property required would be cheaper by the docks?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

Aha Shake wrote: »
    A burrito place! Pablo picante style!

Prayers answered! Woop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Where's the Peace Park? :)
    Peace_park.jpg

Could you do the same for the South Ring / South Link confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Aha Shake wrote: »
    Prayers answered! Woop!

Is cork getting a burrito place? I was in saburrito in Dublin last week, can't believe cork doesn't have a place like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

bladebrew wrote: »
    Is cork getting a burrito place? I was in saburrito in Dublin last week, can't believe cork doesn't have a place like it!

One opened up recently, not sure where it is though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭crc

kcb wrote: »
    Could you do the same for the South Ring / South Link confusion!
    Its all there on Google Maps:
    265227.png

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

bladebrew wrote: »

El Banditos on washington street next to the wholy grain.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/El-Banditos/480607885358974

I had a carnitas one yesterday and was slightly disappointed but will try something different next time.

Rumours of a competitor opening up somewhere else in the city too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

crc wrote: »
    Its all there on Google Maps:
    265227.png

It's been renamed "the N40 Cork Ring"
    Be very careful when typing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭crc

SpaceTime wrote: »
    It's been renamed "the N40 Cork Ring"
    Be very careful when typing that!
    I think the original point was that many people incorrectly refer to the "(South) Ring Road" as "the Link" when in fact the "South City Link Road" is an entirely different road. This has been a bugbear of mine for years.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A decent sized park - Cork is lacking in this.

A guided East-West busway or tram line connecting UCC, the city centre, the docklands and Mahon Point.

More frequent city bus services.

A Boojum - most definitely...

A couple of more Burger Kings including a suburban drive-thru.

A city history museum with interactive exhibits.

A completely rebuilt and bigger Park Ui Caoimh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

There's just a sense of neglect and "don't care" attitude from local government. Take the Cork crest sculpture in Tivoli (seen here in better days):

Kevin_Holland_Ship_at_Sail400.jpg

It's forms one of the first impressions for many people arriving into the city but it is currently badly in need of a clean, is overgrown with weeds and the lights to light it up at night haven't worked for months. Another example is the state of Patrick's Bridge - it's filthy and with lights not working. When small things like this are neglected we haven't much hope of larger scale projects being done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

The Lord Mayor and the city manager needs to get their act together this city is fallen apart. The state of some places papers cans every where.

Being to Galway the place is lovely,
    place is cleaned all the time,

What cork needs,

50 meter pool (only two in the whole country is a f**king joke)

We need to have national college of Ireland in cork as well offering more ACCS course for adults.

Need more city projects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

JupiterKid wrote: »
    A decent sized park - Cork is lacking in this.

A guided East-West busway or tram line connecting UCC, the city centre, the docklands and Mahon Point.

More frequent city bus services.

A Boojum - most definitely...

A couple of more Burger Kings including a suburban drive-thru.

A city history museum with interactive exhibits.

A completely rebuilt and bigger Park Ui Caoimh.

What's the deal with this? Even Limerick has more burgerkings than us :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There's just a sense of neglect and "don't care" attitude from local government. Take the Cork crest sculpture in Tivoli (seen here in better days):

Kevin_Holland_Ship_at_Sail400.jpg

It's forms one of the first impressions for many people arriving into the city but it is currently badly in need of a clean, is overgrown with weeds and the lights to light it up at night haven't worked for months. Another example is the state of Patrick's Bridge - it's filthy and with lights not working. When small things like this are neglected we haven't much hope of larger scale projects being done.
    +1. If they cant have the all the lights working on the main bridge in the city,its a bad job.

Also,there are lovely old lights on Parliament bridge and South Gate bridge and they dont work.:mad:

Also,the Cork Coat of Arms monument on Tivoli dual-carriageway,there are spotlights around it but they are not working.:mad:

Who is supposed to be in charge of maintainance?.

I was a few months ahead of ya.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

A motorway link to Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

1 Pedestrianise Oliver Plunkett Street. Allowing cars and taxis to drive through the busiest street in Cork in the evenings makes no sense.

2 Develop Marina Park but do not allow the GAA training pitch to go ahead and destroy it.

3 Stop cars parking of Cornmarket Street pedestrian area.

4 The big one : Pedestrianise Patrick Street.

5 Let Eoin O'Callaghan built event centre on Albert Quay. The best location and best proposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

omahaid wrote: »
    What's the deal with this? Even Limerick has more burgerkings than us :mad:

As what happen was when the owner signed a deal with Burger King he made sure that in the contract he would be the only Burger King in the city, Burger King at the time only saw cork city as a small city with only one mc Donald's and a few fish and chip shops here and their it did take into count how fast the city would grow this contract was signed in the early 90's there wasn't much in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

A motorway link to Limerick

So true....the road between cork and Limerick is dire. The Mallow part is a scary part to drive and unfortunately is downhill from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

It also needs improved road signage within the city-the current signage is appallingly bad and confusing. The road markings are also very poor, and the traffic light synchronization weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

The calls for pedestrianisation are very wrong in my view. This has been the biggest factor (the recession aside) in the decline of town centres throughout the British Isles. Patrick Street is vibrant, even in these times. My feeling is that, without the through-flow of buses, cars and taxis it would become a much quieter place with the consequent effect on the traders that are left.

I've never been aware of traffic in Oliver Plunkett Street - it's hardly an issue.

Cork is already difficult enough to drive through and to easily park. Don't be discouraging spending visitors even more.

What the story with the disgraceful approach roads into the city.Is it that hard to cut the grass and hedges?.Coming in from the airport where all these thousands of tourists we so badly need are coming from,and the first thing they see are the grass and weeds four foot tall either side of the road.Tivoli dualcarriageway is also an utter disgrace.

Limerick Co Co have a horticulture dept that actually work.Kilkenny Co Co have a similar dept.Cork Co Co have a shower of wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Not sure if I mentioned it before on this thread but seeing as Rhys just mentioned the airport road - what bothers me about the road to the airport is the lack of lighting on the road up - it just goes pitch black for a good stretch and it reflects poorly I think.

Is there a reason for this or is it just something that needs to be done?

D'Agger wrote: »
    Not sure if I mentioned it before on this thread but seeing as Rhys just mentioned the airport road - what bothers me about the road to the airport is the lack of lighting on the road up - it just goes pitch black for a good stretch and it reflects poorly I think.

Is there a reason for this or is it just something that needs to be done?

There are places around the city that are very badly lit so Id say the airport road has no chance.

There are dozens of lights on parts on the Ballincollig bypass that there are no need for.Also a way too many lights were put on the Tivoli dualcarriageway but a lot of them not working now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Actually speaking of lighting, the streetlights have been off at the river end of Patrick St. several nights, anyone know why? It'd dangerous enough about 2am on the weekends, without it being dark in the city centre as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Wow, Cork is a bit of a shíte after reading this thread :P

Advertisement