Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does Cork need?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Colibri wrote: »
    Wow, Cork is a bit of a shíte after reading this thread :P

Meh.... start an "I love Cork" thread and we'll all pour into that one too! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Colibri wrote: »
    Wow, Cork is a bit of a shíte after reading this thread :P

More like Cork is awesome because we are always looking to improve and do more :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

A motorway link to Limerick

Who the f wants to go there ?
    Who the F wants to come here from there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It would link Cork to the West Coast and onwards to Galway and Sligo. That would actually be a huge benefit to tourism and business in general.

Not to mention just being really handy.

There's a lot more to it than just linking Cork and Limerick. Its about liking Cork to the whole western seaboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

scudo2 wrote: »

Nobody......just folks passing on through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

People who want to go to Thomond Park to watch a munster match maybe and enjoy the benefits of great value hotel rates.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

you would fit in grand in your fiat van and mattress,,,,,,,,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Thats so workable for businesses if you pedestrianise Patrick Street and Oliver Plunkett Street.

Theres plenty of fast food outlets in the city as there is I think 1 burger king is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

mikeym wrote: »
    Thats so workable for businesses if you pedestrianise Patrick Street and Oliver Plunkett Street.

Theres plenty of fast food outlets in the city as there is I think 1 burger king is enough.
    Wouldn't mind one in Douglas thought - mmmm Bacon Double Cheeseburger :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Just a mad guess here scholar, but maybe people who travel between Limerick and Cork on a regular basis?! :)

• Advertisement

grenache wrote: »
    Just a mad guess here scholar, but maybe people who travel between Limerick and Cork on a regular basis?! :)
    pah, a mere minority!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

D'Agger wrote: »
    pah, a mere minority!

Only because the others have fallen into a pothole near Buttevant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Only because the others have fallen into a pothole near Buttevant

Exactly! I think once the census ever discovers the lost generations who are stuck in traffic in Buttevant, they'll likely find that emigration in this country is actually only about 5, or 4 if you count Sean who's coming back.

Had an uncle who drove to see Munster play the All Blacks in '78, never been seen since. (Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.) He had my bleedin' ticket too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I think a proper big wheel like the London eye on Horgans quay would look well.It would take the bareness out of that massive empty yard.
    They can be hired from a company here.(C'mon City Council)
    http://www.greatcityattractions.com/about.php

I think that Shandon should be lit up properly at night.Its a pity to see a clock tower like it in darkness.Something like this would look the job.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyxMCYteZ1uGd1awN7dWvIxL9ZemTNSCaI5saFm93_sU8X9-Vmzg

I said the above in April.I know its not on Horgans Quay,but I wonder did the City Council read this thread.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭skippy15

An understandable accent/ mentality?

skippy15 wrote: »
    An understandable accent/ mentality?

:rolleyes:

Sure i thought Cork people speak normal!Cork needs begrudgers like you to go away and leave the rest of us enjoy our beautiful city and county in peace.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Accent AND mentality in the one post, impressive!

Of course we need the clockface of the worlds most iconic landmark to start working again!As for the people who moan and whinge about the city centre dying.Well get into town and support our local businesses instead of moaning on your computers about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

All the panhandlers and the efforts of grafitti 'artists' make the place seem like Detroit.

The stone wall along the rail line by the Glanmire road is getting a lot of daubings on it, some one of these guys is going to get a slap of a train some night.

Haven't really noticed it!

• Advertisement

Updates

New boardwalks and promenades and park on Horgans Quay over next few years.
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/03/06/boardwalk-city/

New entrance to Kent station to start this summer
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kent-station-revamp-part-of-85m-public-transport-plan-259308.html

Decision on event centre to be made in May.

Pairc Ui Chaoimh redevelopment to start this year???

A tidal barrier should be of #1 priority!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Summer boat trips from outside The Boardwalk to The Shaky Bridge would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

A decent reliable transport system linking Airport/Business Park, City Centre, train station and Mahon Point. Bus service is crap, and would help reduce traffic if the stations were planned and located properly. Something similar to the Luas, albeit not to the same extent obviously. Reducing the need to rely on cars would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Needs to get rid of the lord mayor and put her wages to some good use

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Needs to get rid of the lord mayor and put her wages to some good use

What an unhelpful comment. Cork having a Lord Mayor is not a significant drain on resources and getting rid of the office would make no difference. It would be purely optics.

A directly elected, executive mayor with actual power and accountability would be really useful though!

RE: the airport - from working there a few years back I think it's nuts how poorly connected it is. Yes there is a bus service there but it's disorganized massively. There should be an area set aside for transport - a bus bay which you see in other airports (Stanstead for example) You could use some of the area in front of the old terminal to put some shelter there, it would allow busses travel in and out again without having to deal with traffic getting down to the main terminal. It would mean people leaving the terminal looking to get to the city have a specific area to move towards and if you simply put a few numbers on parking spots then you could organize a bay per destination i.e. City Link busses go to bay 1, Cork City link - bay 2 etc.

I don't think it would be very difficult to implement but would like to hear what you all think of it.

Also - I'm not sure if I mentioned it here before - but is there a reason the road isn't lit fully going to the airport? That really grinds my gears, you feel like you're driving into a forrest rather than to an international airport.

• Advertisement

Bus Eireann in general isn't too good at running urban busses.

The obvious solution would be a dedicated bus route with limited stops that serves the airport and also some areas it passes through on off peak times and a dedicated shuttle bus every hour or linked to flight times.

Airport Terminal, Hotels + Airport Industrial parks.

Then call at say Frankfield and go through Donnybrook and that side of Douglas Village and the city via the south ring?

You could also route a number of carrigaline services via the airport.

Or maybe a Southern Orbital service that took in the Airport? Ballincollig - CIT - Western End of UCC - CUH - Tougher - Airport - Douglas - Carrigaline.

Most people actually live in the suburbs, not the city centre.

The city centre in Irish cities is a working / business / shopping destination mostly. It's not the main place you'll pick up airport users.

Advertisement