Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tooth whitening: Professional or At home treatments?

• 08-04-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I am thinking of whitening my teeth. I love tea and coffee so my teeth are stained. I bought a home DIY whitening kit with hydrogen peroxide in it. Is this safe? Would l be better off going to a salon?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Norderburse

Speaking as someone who has tried the over-the-counter methods before, I wouldn't bother with it OP - the strength of the solution is usually insufficient. I'm also loathe to recommend a salon in case there are any underlying dental issues.

That said, following a scale and polish, I found Crest Whitestrips (the Supreme Professional kind, sourced from eBay) were great for the top teeth; apparently the bottom row are always harder to whiten.

However the best results I got were from my dentist, with customised trays containing bleach worn overnight for 2 weeks. The cost wasn't that expensive in my case, €150 but I understand €250-€300 is more usual for this type of treatment. There's a little pain/sensitivity involved but nothing that using Sensodyne didn't resolve and the results were/are well worth it! Monthly top-ups (wearing the trays) for 1-2 nights are needed.

Hope that helps!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Plus White 5 minute gel is really good imho.. You probably have to buy it online as it was brought back from the States for me..

I've had lazer whitening done in the past and found it very painful.. found the Crest strips good as a top up, but the Plus White is just as good and costs a lot less afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

xzanti wrote: »
    Plus White 5 minute gel is really good imho.. You probably have to buy it online as it was brought back from the States for me..

I've had lazer whitening done in the past and found it very painful.. found the Crest strips good as a top up, but the Plus White is just as good and costs a lot less afaik.

Is this the one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WHITE-5-MINUTE-BLEACH-WHITENING-IMPROVED/dp/B000TC17A6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365630166&sr=8-1&keywords=Plus+White+Bleach+Whitening+Gel

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yes, that's the one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I've recently had a very disappointing result with in-clinic whitening. Got it done in the morning and teeth were gleaming, by the evening the effects were gone. I won't name the place as I'm currently in the process of trying to get them to refund the cost of it and I don't think it would be fair to name & shame if they'll give me my money back, but I would say to be wary of it and if you do decide to get it done, you're probably best to get your regular dentist to do it as he/she will know your teeth well and can advise what's most likely to work for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement