Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennel cough

• 08-04-2013 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hi I want to put my King Charles in a kennel for 5 hours a day for 3 to 5 days and know he has to get treatment for Kennel cough. I was told he can get this up his nose and I wondering can he get this on his first day or has he to have it few days before going to kennel.

Thanking You :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

You need to ask the kennel, as some can insist on it being done up to 2 weeks beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mnstlj

i think it is a minimum of 72 hours and lasts for 12 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

mnstlj wrote: »
    i think it is a minimum of 72 hours and lasts for 12 months

i was speaking to my vet today. as i will need to leave my little doggie in kennel.. i have been told its min 3 weeks before hand. and yes it last 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

Hi the kennell near where I put my dog, took my dog and gave him kennel dose there up his nose. I was told by the owner that it was ok doing it this way :) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

The time required for the dog to acquire resistance to kennel cough from the vaccination differs according to the vaccine brand, be it Bronchishield or Nobivac KC. I'd say make a quick phone call to your vet on Monday morning to ask. ;)

No one other than a vet should be administering the vaccine and only a vet can certify the vaccination for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

johnnyb6 wrote: »
    Hi the kennell near where I put my dog, took my dog and gave him kennel dose there up his nose. I was told by the owner that it was ok doing it this way :) .

that is how it is usually administered, but as boomerang says, it should only be done by a vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

A great tip is to put a dab of butter or marmite on the nose - dog licks their nose and - voilá! - the vaccine is gone down the hatch. :D

Advertisement