Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out before lease ends

Options
  • 08-04-2013 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi lads,

moved into a bedsit last october and signed a year long lease, I need to move out in mid june now,i rented through an agency that i later learned are notoriously but i deal with the landlord and have nothing to do with them now, they told me the bins were included in the rent, in november sometime the bins stopped being collected (the neighbour said it was stolen and he was sorting it into his name which was grand i thought, still the same when i went off for christmas

rang the landlord in march and he knew nothing about the bins atall spoke to his wife and rang me back saying that they had to be signed up for again did i want to do it or leave it to the neighbours who originally had it so i said leave it to them(also told him my drains were blocked and he promised a plumber)

he rang me again the next week telling me i had to pay for the bins, quereyd why it wasnt included and he said it never was and its in my contract, long story short he signed upto bins that week and we have to pay 5 euro a month, not going to argue about a fiver and it actually is in my lease that i pay all utilities.

2 weeks later and we have the heavy rain , i come home to find my yard full of water and millimetres from the bottom of the back door, hastily made about 5 attempts to call him and some texts later the water started to come in, hastily got outside and fought with the manhole covers that hadnt been open in years and finally got them up, he rang me back and apologised during the cleaning of the huge puddle promised he would ring the plumber there and then, text him on the thursday looking for an update and he said the plumber hadnt been back on, i text him that i was going away for 1-2 weeks for easter and he asked would it be ok for him to go in whilst i wasnt there which i agreed to, fast forward to yesterday, came home and the manholes are still open ooutside just as i left them nobody has been in, theres a bit of a smell of **** in the garden now too since the sewage manhole has been open for 2 weeks (not going to close it up when theres no drainage)

so i need to leave this place in june for other reasons but obviously the landlord hasnt done his job very well, wondering can i get out of my lease due to the above stuff? and would this in turn entitle me to my deposit back?
    im very tempted to just tell him to keep it and run with the last months rent but the lease specifically says i cant,

if not what options do i have in regards to moving out during the lease? and will i lose the deposit?

also going to add that whilst i keep the place fairly clean i REFUSE to clean out any of the appliances or bathroom before I leave, the place wasnt the cleanest when i moved in, had to wipe down every counter, the oven was a mess (thankfully it blew up the first time i tried to use it and he replaced with a new one) there was still food in the freezer and tea bags in the sink.

all advice is much appreciated,
    thanks,,
    sean

Advertisement