Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wholesale Price Butchers in D15

Options
  • 08-04-2013 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

I have seen mention of wholesale butcher outlets in threads here before and I have to say I love a bargain and it encouraged me to think beyond supermarkets - though the locations were not always the easiest to get to without a car. Anyhow I haven't seen mention on the board of the newly opened one in Coolmine, beside the new Baby Elegance shop/Atlas tyres shop, facing the gaelscoil.

http://www.dublinmeatcompany.com/

I was in there today and the quality and value seem great, not to mention the lads there were genuinely nice. My kid left with a lollipop and the other customer in there at the time departed with a large bag of bones for her dogs. Cooked one purchase tonight and we're impressed with the quality. Tomorrow I'll see how the steaks hold up :)

Edit: Just to add its irish farmed - which is a big influencing factor for me as much as price is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Haven't been myself yet! But heard they very busy and very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Had a very tasty leg of lamb for Easter from this place, at a very reasonable price, so definitely will be going there more often. Good to see places like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Someone told me KEPAK have a trade counter that opens to the public. Never saw any mention of it on any adds or their web site neither is it marked on their premises in clonee. Anyone know if thats true?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Would anyone know their opening hours please? They dont seem to have included the Coolmine shop on the website yet

I presume they take plastic at the public counter?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Would anyone know their opening hours please? They dont seem to have included the Coolmine shop on the website yet

I presume they take plastic at the public counter?

8-7 Monday-Friday
    8-6 Saturday
    11-5 Sunday

and yeah I payed with laser in there yesterday. Got 4 6oz fillet steaks for e15 on special offer and I'm salivating thinking about cooking them later ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Yeah was in the shop myself the other day, nice clean and well laid out - seems to be good value - worth another visit

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Someone told me KEPAK have a trade counter that opens to the public. Never saw any mention of it on any adds or their web site neither is it marked on their premises in clonee. Anyone know if thats true?

Yeah, they do and for a long time they had the very best steaks for sale to the public but the quality seems to have dropped a while back and we stopped going. I don't know what its like now though. If you want to go in then go to the car park entrance and walk to the security office and he'll buzz you through and then follow the path across to the shop.
    One of the butchers that worked there for a long time recently opened the new butchers in Littlepace S.C and we've been going there for the last few weeks and have been very happy. If there's anything we want that isn't on the shelf they have no problem getting it in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Was up there earlier, nice lay out, easy to spot things and a decent range.

248623.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

We used to use Branigans in one of the industrial estates but Dublin meat company is easier to get to and has better opening hours, will be going there next time, though I couldn't fault Branigans for quality or value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

A pet hate of mine is that all modern butchers, Dublin Meat Co included, do all the carving, preparing, cutting and mincing in the back of the shop.

It's like they are trying to disassociate the meat from the animal that it comes from.

I prefer to see the meat before it's cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Murt10 wrote: »
    A pet hate of mine is that all modern butchers, Dublin Meat Co included, do all the carving, preparing, cutting and mincing in the back of the shop.

It's like they are trying to disassociate the meat from the animal that it comes from.

I prefer to see the meat before it's cut.
    there's a butchers on cabra road (not sure of the name, but it's down where all those other shops are on the left as you drive towards phibsboro church), and when i asked for pork joint for roasting a few weeks ago and he didn't have anything I fancied out, he just bought out a whole side of pork and cut and dressed it there in front of me.

very friendly bunch of lads too and the meat was very good. i know its a long way from D15, but it's definitely worth stopping there if you were passing.

Got the 25 chicken fillets for €20 last week, and they are nice!

The big bag of chicken nuggets for €5 are really nice! Taste very similar to McDonalds nuggets!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

The big bag of chicken nuggets for €5 are really nice! Taste very similar to McDonalds nuggets!!
    :eek: You say that likes its a good thing!? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

just back from it , the mother was well impressed , she spent around €70 an the lads put the stuff into a freezer bag branded with the name a didnt charge her for it

then they sold her on some deal with 4 or 5 items for €20 an ended up throwing in six eggs a seabass in a bag to try

friendly lads , parking right outside the door and easy to get to with a car

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ljcoolk

Kepak is open to the public but only certain days at certain times ring them 801 5000. they do fab steak they come vaccum packed and are very reasonable priced compared to butchers prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

jeffk wrote: »

then they sold her on some deal with 4 or 5 items for €20

Yeah they do a weekly special with a mix of stuff every week for ~20 quid, its one weekly email update I don't mind getting :p

I am not into chicken nuggets but they do mini fillet goujons that were lovely and good value compared to supermarket equivalents. So far I've cooked three different purchases and I'm happy with them all. The fillet steak wasn't quite as nice as the Aldi special Angus ones, but sure at the price I got it there was no complaints from himself. I have to say, it seems likely there'll be no more supermarket meat for me, though himself says it'll all hinge on their sausages and so that's on the shopping list for next time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

KGLady wrote: »
    Yeah they do a weekly special with a mix of stuff every week for ~20 quid, its one weekly email update I don't mind getting :p

Ah right , i signed up for a text , so that will probably be the same as the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭wardie101

ljcoolk wrote: »
    Kepak is open to the public but only certain days at certain times ring them 801 5000. they do fab steak they come vaccum packed and are very reasonable priced compared to butchers prices.

Its open Thursday and Friday from 1 till about 5....well worth a trip

Turn in to the car park and you will see the walk in entrance across to the little shop

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

wardie101 wrote: »
    Its open Thursday and Friday from 1 till about 5....well worth a trip

Turn in to the car park and you will see the walk in entrance across to the little shop

Cheers buddy, begs the question, why set up a shop there and not let anyone know about it, even a sign at the cross roads where thousands of cars pass by everyday :confused: Odd
    Or are they not really allowed to as they sell to Butchers also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Just gave them a buzz to check out some prices as I haven't been to the shop and they don't advertise prices and won't email me.

Found it a bit difficult to hear clearly as the sounded very busy, But

Fillet steak €22 per Kilo
    Rib/Rump steak €6.50 per kilo
    Mince €5 per kilo
    Rib eye Steak €10 per kilo (pack of 4)

Going up tomorrow for a look.

• Advertisement

clearly want the custom, between the website, facebook, email list and text sign up and it's easy to get to and open sensible hours. Can't say the same of kepak.

Morag wrote: »
    clearly want the custom, between the website, facebook, email list and text sign up and it's easy to get to and open sensible hours. Can't say the same of kepak.

Yeah their site is very good and have a huge variety of product and their open normal business hours but their prices are very close to normal butchers prices.

Compare them with the prices I posted from Kepak, granted that was over the phone and noisey but apart from the mince and that is still slightly cheaper ( I don't know the quality) but all the other prices are roughly half that of Dublin Meat Company.

If were talking Wholesale prices have a look at Brannigans prices as well, I buy from them but Kepak looks even cheaper if the quality is good.

Not trying to knock DMC I wish them well.

Well I don't drive and DMC are on a bus route so that also makes a difference.

Morag wrote: »
    Well I don't drive and DMC are on a bus route so that also makes a difference.

Makes a big difference, also I'm buying to fill a freezer with cuts I wouldn't normally buy.
    The 450gr ribeye pack from Aldi @ €11.99 (26.64 per kilo) is lovely but Kepak are doing Ribeye €10 per kilo, I hope it's aged if not I'll be drooling for a month.

Does anyone know is the meat still mooing or aged in Kepak (Guessing just slaughtered)?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭wardie101

nudger wrote: »
    Makes a big difference, also I'm buying to fill a freezer with cuts I wouldn't normally buy.
    The 450gr ribeye pack from Aldi @ €11.99 (26.64 per kilo) is lovely but Kepak are doing Ribeye €10 per kilo, I hope it's aged if not I'll be drooling for a month.

Does anyone know is the meat still mooing or aged in Kepak (Guessing just slaughtered)?

The ribeye is lovely from Kepak as are the fillet....They also did Striploin steaks.

Not tried any of the mince or the lamb (they sometimes had ribs too) but the steaks are excellent

Was in Kepak for the first time today, the shop is very small just a counter inside the door.
    There is limited meat on sale today only about 6 cuts.
    Asked for ribeye but none left all gone yesterday, will go at 1pm Thursday the next time.
    So I only got 2 cuts, Striploin €9.50 a kilo (pack of 4) weighed each pack on a digital scales when I got home, all were over the kilo.
    Rump cap, which I hadn't heard of before but as it was on special @€;6.50 a kilo why not, after checking youtube and finding Picanha, can't wait.

Striploin sells around €25 a kilo in butchers/supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

On Dublin meat company's Facebook page it says there online store is now open and there giving 20% off for a few days

Enter "value" at the coupon/checkout

Well worth stocking up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I got some cook in tray spicy chicken in DMC yesterday for a fiver, the kids loved it.
    Also I got a bottle of their garlic Mayo, very nice and Irish made.....
    ill be going back....

Just had my first Rump cap rost and I have to report the result.

The nicest piece of beef I have ever cooked or have had cooked for me.

Had never heard of the cut before, it's a flat piece of beef a bit like pork belly but when cooked it puffs up like a normal rost.

I'm going to clean Kepak out of it next Thursday.

• Advertisement

nudger wrote: »
    Just had my first Rump cap rost and I have to report the result.

The nicest piece of beef I have ever cooked or have had cooked for me.

Had never heard of the cut before, it's a flat piece of beef a bit like pork belly but when cooked it puffs up like a normal rost.

I'm going to clean Kepak out of it next Thursday.
    Might get some. What way did you cook it?

Advertisement