Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wholesale Price Butchers in D15

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Had a look on youtube and BBQ/grill looked the way to go but I just browned it in a very hot pan for about 2 minutes each side scoring the fatty side criss cross like a ham, stops it curling up.

The piece I cooked was about 1.5 kg, cooked at gas mark 5 for just under an hour.
    It was probably a little over cooked but so succulent, it was like carving butter.
    When it went into the oven it was about 2 inches high, when it came out it was about 6 inches high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

This Week's Special is
    800g of Round Steak Mince
    Twin Pack of Quality Assured Chickens
    1kg Lasagne
    2 Chicken Marylands
    2 Chicken Kievs
    For only €20!

Text goes out Monday , they might have the stuff on Monday, it depends on the suppliers. But best hold off till Tuesday to go up for the week special!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

nudger wrote: »
    Just had my first Rump cap rost and I have to report the result.
    The nicest piece of beef I have ever cooked or have had cooked for me.

I'm a big fan of beef rump, so much flavour in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

this weeks DMC €20 special is:

800g PremiumMince
    4 Chicken Fillets
    500g Turkey Steaks
    5 Loin Pork Chops
    7 Southern Fried Chicken Pieces

Not bad for €20.

I went in last friday and got the biggest fattest ribeye you've ever seen (almost 700g/24oz) and it was delicious. I said I wanted a really big one and the guy invited me in the back to guide him in cutting it. :D

My wife had a lump of fillet as well, although she said it was good, it wasn't quite up to the one she bought in Buckley's on Moore street a few weeks back. Still a good steak though and we will be going back regularly.

Also got some stewing beef and that was lovely as well slow cooked in a nice ceramic casserole dish the mother in law got us.

Got some lean mince there too, but need to limit the beef intake for a day or so! :D

overall, 8/10 for the meat and price (but only because i'm measuring against meat from buckley's and kepak), and a solid 10/10 for customer service. :)

I meant to post earlier about the butchers in cabra, thats Ethersons and the guy who runs it used to work in Sweeney's in Laurel Lodge, they do good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I used to go to Kepak every Friday and get a bit of meat from them..I recommended them a few times on here and never had a bad word about them,

I dont go anymore,TBH I dont think the meat is great quality

I went to the Dublin meat factory the other day and got 2 striplion steaks for 14 euro and they were absolutely gorgeous...

Cant recommend the steaks out of Kepak anymore the difference between the 2 shops are night and day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I finally made it to DMC tonight (opening hours are really commuter friendly) and was very impressed. I picked up the smaller striploins 4 for just under €14 and they were absolutely melt in mouth delicious. Also got 5 large chicken fillets for €5.50. As per the other posters, the guy in there was an absolute pleasure to deal with - will definitely be going back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

athtrasna wrote: »
    I finally made it to DMC tonight (opening hours are really commuter friendly) and was very impressed. I picked up the smaller striploins 4 for just under €14 and they were absolutely melt in mouth delicious. Also got 5 large chicken fillets for €5.50. As per the other posters, the guy in there was an absolute pleasure to deal with - will definitely be going back again.

Absolutely endorse this, the opening hours and the masses of handy parking are great for dropping in on a later commute and they really have that advantage over the nearby neighbourhood butchers.

A nice premises, enthusiastic friendly lads and while you are better off buying a bit in bulk with them, the comparative prices against even the discount supermarkets are very good. I have only cooked some basics from them so far, but very good quality.

Last week i forgot to go up to Kepak early on the Thursday to see what I was missing.
    So got there today at 12.50pm, waited 5 minutes and went up to the gate, small queue butsftaff were going in skipping the queue all the time.
    When I got in, there was plenty of meat there and only 3 of us in the queue at the counter of so I thought.:(
    Old dude in front of me says "give me 8 of the 4 striplion steaks" but worse to come "Is that the rump cap, give me that so" the girl at the counter says "1" he says "no all" 11 packs of 1.5 kilo rump cap, cleaned out.
    So had to change my plan 6 packs of the striploin and 2 of the big bags of mince, all that was left in the display.
    Expecting the worst i asked was there any more rump cap, there was , out she came with an arm full, had them.
    Most people seem to come out with €100- €200 worth of meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Sounds like some commercial buying there tbh.

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    Sounds like some commercial buying there tbh.

Maybe, but most looked like they were just house buying like myself, I'm sorted for about 2 months for roasts 8/steaks 24.
    The old guy in front of me was an ex employee buying for his freezer.

the problem with kepak is that you never know what they're going to have, so if they have what you want, you have to buy in bulk as you never know when or if they'll have it again the next time you're there. :(

Yeah true, Thursday is better than Friday I think.
    This week they had a lot more stock Lamb, and about 8 cuts of Beef, it's just that the quality is good and the prices are very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

It's a good place, but funny thing is 10 chick breasts for €10 are from Asia if I'm not mistaken, nitrogen packed and are very nice! Explain that. + free sausages.

robertxxx wrote: »
    It's a good place, but funny thing is 10 chick breasts for €10 are from Asia if I'm not mistaken, nitrogen packed and are very nice! Explain that. + free sausages.

You talking about DMC I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Yes.

They used to get their chicken breasts and the chicken used in their stir fry type products from Holland as do most other butchers.

Don't know if that has changed to Asia now but a lot of the chickens in major supermarkets do come from Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

In DMc the chicken on the bone is from Ireland . The chicken fillets are Dutch.It's only in the past few months that I have decided to only buy bia approved chicken.

iI t find the Dutch chicken to be very nice, better than you'd get from most local suppliers imho.

generally (according to a restaurateur friend) restaurant and takeaway chicken dishes are made with the Dutch stuff too.

This weeks Dublin Meat Co Special Offer
    800g Premium Mince
    +4 Chicken Fillets
    +5 Loin Pork Chops
    ALL ONLY €12
    Avail from tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

vibe666 wrote: »
    iI t find the Dutch chicken to be very nice, better than you'd get from most local suppliers imho.

generally (according to a restaurateur friend) restaurant and takeaway chicken dishes are made with the Dutch stuff too.

Yeah, the reason they use it is purely down to cost. It is processed and packaged in the Netherlands, but most of the time comes from Thailand & Brazil. The Dutch also have a great habit of adding up to 30% water to the chicken breast that pass through their hands, and sometimes injecting it with a bit of beef and pork DNA as well. Have a read of this for more detail.

After all the stuff that has come out about horsemeat lately, I am only buying Bord Bia stuff and only from named producers in the republic of Ireland. I'd rather pay €5 for a chicken from Newcastle West than €3.99 for one from UK, imported from Holland from who knows where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Arciphel wrote: »
    After all the stuff that has come out about horsemeat lately, I am only buying Bord Bia stuff and only from named producers in the republic of Ireland. I'd rather pay €5 for a chicken from Newcastle West than €3.99 for one from UK, imported from Holland from who knows where.

You trust Bord Bia after the horse meat scandal :eek:

Did they not come out and say the horse meat could have been on sale for a year as that was when Tesco signed the contract? Here I am thinking their job was to test produce.

The prices in DMC don't look any cheaper than Gleesons, unless I am missing something?

hucklebuck wrote: »
    You trust Bord Bia after the horse meat scandal :eek:

Did they not come out and say the horse meat could have been on sale for a year as that was when Tesco signed the contract? Here I am thinking their job was to test produce.

The prices in DMC don't look any cheaper than Gleesons, unless I am missing something?

Was in the shop for the first time on Thursday, have been in the Kinsealy shop before.
    All nice and clean and constantly fixing/stocking the product on shelves.
    Bought the €12 offer and a few other bits and bobs.
    Good range and if we get the weather I'd say they will be very busy for the barbie season.
    They are cheaper than Gleesons who have become a lot more expensive than some years ago.
    Couple of things, location once you have been there no problem but first time is a bit tricky, signage a bit misleading and don't like the orange and black shop front. (Fussy bastard)
    Not wholesale prices but better than most, will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

nudger wrote: »
    [/B]

don't like the orange and black shop front. (Fussy bastard)

Ive heard it all now haha

Kev. wrote: »
    Ive heard it all now haha

I've little to be worrying about :D but it does look crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

vibe666 wrote: »
    This weeks Dublin Meat Co Special Offer
    800g Premium Mince
    +4 Chicken Fillets
    +5 Loin Pork Chops
    ALL ONLY €12

Just after getting this ... very good value

I think the colour of the store is fine (but im not a fussy bastard!)

182388_652615214765335_1472716031_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Have been buying our meat from DMC in Coolmine for the last few weeks. Generally good stuff but We've noticed that the smoked rashers have had a tangy about to go off taste even though freshly opened and ten days before best before date. This has happened on two separate occasions.

Also the 1/2 black pudding shelf life is not great. We had to bin unused after 4 days. (The 1/2 pudding's are not vac packed). No problems with any other meat purchased there, in fact it was very good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

they have increased their lean low fat steak from 6.50 to 7.00 in the last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

they have increased their lean low fat steak from 6.50 to 7.00 in the last week.
    I hope they don't start that now with everything or they will shoot themselves in the foot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

All farm produce is going to increase price, from vegetables to meats, due to the farming conditions over the last 6 months.

Advertisement