Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad 4 charger exploded

• 08-04-2013 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

Hi all, so my wife's iPad charger basically exploded today (pic attached). The fuse box tripped and I was wondering what the hell was going on. It turns out she bought two spare chargers on ebay (from Hong Kong) and it was one of these that went pop. I've looked at the other spare and compared it to the official one, the quality certainly looks dubious. Just a warning to anyone else to be careful!
    I just tested the iPad now and it charges away no problem, so fingers crossed it survived. However, there are stories of official chargers going pop too. Just wondering if anyone has anything similar to tell...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Is that not a charger for the iPhone? i know the charger for the iPad 2 was a lot bigger so i presume its the same for the 4th gen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

That's not an iPad charger, it's for an iPhone. If they clearly marketed it as an iPad charger then I'd say it's not an official one at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

jesus thats bad.
    At least with the official one you might have some comeback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

guil wrote: »
    Is that not a charger for the iPhone? i know the charger for the iPad 2 was a lot bigger so i presume its the same for the 4th gen

Yes, the 4th-gen iPad has the bigger 12w version. The iPad mini only has the 5w and IIRC, its the flat one like the one in the photo.

culabula wrote: »
    Yes, the 4th-gen iPad has the bigger 12w version. The iPad mini only has the 5w and IIRC, its the flat one like the one in the photo.
    Yes the mini comes with the same one as the iPhone, my sisters did anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yikes I didn't realise the mini had a different charger to the full size iPad - I have the mini. To explain...the iPad 4 was bought on holiday in Austria and it came with a US charger (the store gave her a discount because of this), so I guess we were a little ignorant of what the real Irish/UK charger looked like. At any rate the one that blew is definitely a fraud. I feel quite silly now, not only was it the wrong charger, it was a fake to boot! I think we got off lightly at any rate...

By any chance is the ipad 3G or just wifi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Darwin

Just the wifi version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

It was on "fake britain" the other morning trading standards going into shops in the uk and clearing the shelves of these fake chargers they then did the lab tests on them the pic posted above is exactly what happened to them all,imagine if your hand had been onit at the time!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Okay, I'm confused. It doesnt look like you turned off the switch to the socket, so it blew without a source running through it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    Okay, I'm confused. It doesnt look like you turned off the switch to the socket, so it blew without a source running through it?

I'd imagine first instinct was to turn it off and remove it from the wall.

Fake chargers are so dangerous. Don't use them ever.

Advertisement