Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do on a WHV

Options
  • 08-04-2013 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

I will be applying for my working holiday visa within the next week or two. I would be booking flights in May and hopefully go in August. But would like to get any info or advice.

I would be interested in going to Sydney as I have a brother there, but I cant be leeching of him either. He doesnt keep in contact, so not sure if I can rely on him either.
    But want to go to Melbourne for work as I would get paid more, and therefore I might meet the TSMIT for sponsorship.

I will be going over with 4k so its not alot. Is it easy or expensive to travel the country? Should I save what I have and avoid expensive trips until I get work? What would people advise, should I go to Sydney or Melbourne?

Also if the chance of sponsorship comes up, what do I need for applying for the visa. I dont want to be over there and realised I left everything at home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sparklyEyes111

I will be applying for my working holiday visa within the next week or two. I would be booking flights in May and hopefully go in August. But would like to get any info or advice.

I would be interested in going to Sydney as I have a brother there, but I cant be leeching of him either. He doesnt keep in contact, so not sure if I can rely on him either.
    But want to go to Melbourne for work as I would get paid more, and therefore I might meet the TSMIT for sponsorship.

I will be going over with 4k so its not alot. Is it easy or expensive to travel the country? Should I save what I have and avoid expensive trips until I get work? What would people advise, should I go to Sydney or Melbourne?

Also if the chance of sponsorship comes up, what do I need for applying for the visa. I dont want to be over there and realised I left everything at home.

I'll also be going in August on a WHV at the beginning of the month! :D Currently abroad already right now, and I'll be leaving a permanent job to head off on my own because I'm thinking I want to go somewhere different. It's a scary thought though, even though I've done it before and have so many friends here now. I hear Sydney is better, but it is much more expensive. I believe I'll be staying there anyway...but then again, I know 2 others that are in Melbourne and never want to leave, with the same in Brisbane. It's all just personal taste I guess. I'll have a bit more than 4k but hoping to get temp work asap at least so that I can keep the bit of savings that I have!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

It is very easy to travel the country.
    However with 4k Euro approx 5k AUD, I would limit recreational travel to a minimum.
    There will be changes with 457 visa happening in July. Most years the dept of immigration implements changes to their various visa requirements and 457 has been in the press a lot lately.
    Paperwork wise, bring your original qualifications if possible or certified copies.
    You are certain that you will get paid more in Melbourne than in Sydney? Generally wages are a bit higher in Sydney because it's more expensive to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Id start working first and leave the travelling until later on. $4000 isnt a huge amount when you take into account that ul have to pay a bond, rent, furniture etc.
    I actually find Australia very expensive to travel- cost of food, transport and most tours are fairly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

With 4k I would defo not start travelling until you get work. Salarys are quiet high in oz but the cost of living is VERY expensive compared to home. You wont travel far with 4k if you expect to have some left over to set yourself up.
    Remember that once you do find work it'll be a month or so before you get paid.

Advertisement