Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Triathlon Evolution Continues....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Bambaata wrote: »
    Jaysus if he doesnt come up with much after that we'll just have ton put you down ;-)

Fingers crossed for you!!

She ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

She ;)

No wonder he keeps going back.

Hope you get all cleared up soon ElD. I know from first hand experience how frustrating the whole thing can be. Smash you head against the wall frustrating.

BTH wrote: »
    No wonder he keeps going back.

Hope you get all cleared up soon ElD. I know from first hand experience how frustrating the whole thing can be. Smash you head against the wall frustrating.

You said it Eugene. Progress is just at a standstill, very stop, start, stop, start for us both! We need to believe and have faith...it'll come right and you will tear it up in Hyde Park come September and I will be chasing and chasing for a top 10 in Kilkee come the end of June (9 weeks now :o)

It's a dentist I need.

Went to GP after work as it was getting really sore. She referred me to Eye&Ear in town so I had to rush over there! 3 hours later I was told that its a dentist I need. Wisdom tooth, back left. It will need to come out at some point. Prescribed two types of pain killers and I should be fine i.e swelling down and pain gone by tomorrow eve. So hopefully by Sunday I can do my run...maybe even tomorrow.

I'm glad it's not another illness anyway :)

I wrote the above to the coach yesterday. This morning I woke up in a lot of pain, it was much worse. I am dosed up now on the prescription painkillers. There will be no training today anyway :( :mad:

God this sport (any sport I guess) can be so frustrating. In Galway this weekend-looking forward to a 2.5hr spin in Connemara, it is beautiful here this morning and I am indoors. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I need to hit out...or hit something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Wisdom teeth are a horrible one alright. Put up with a lot of pain from them for a long time before having them out in 2003. All four out in one go too but 4/5 days later I was as good as over it so hopefully it'll not be a big thing for you.

BTH wrote: »
    Wisdom teeth are a horrible one alright. Put up with a lot of pain from them for a long time before having them out in 2003. All four out in one go too but 4/5 days later I was as good as over it so hopefully it'll not be a big thing for you.

I certainly hope so. Looks increasingly like I may have no choice now...I was hoping to get away with waiting until the summer to have them out-it could not possibly happen at a worse time, trying to prepare 3 exam classes. Very concerned now, just waiting now and hoping the pain subsides-the drugs are not that great, tbh the Nurofen Plus was better IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

So, it is not customary in Ireland to have the wisdom teeth pulled in your teens?? I gather not since I remember Kurt had his removed not all that long ago. Here in the states we have them removed around the age of 16 (give or take) as normal dental procedure. Our dentists like to yank them babies out to avoid issues later on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Dory Dory wrote: »
    So, it is not customary in Ireland to have the wisdom teeth pulled in your teens?? I gather not since I remember Kurt had his removed not all that long ago. Here in the states we have them removed around the age of 16 (give or take) as normal dental procedure. Our dentists like to yank them babies out to avoid issues later on.

That'd make too much sense. We don't get them out here till they start causing problems.

Yeah...paying the price for it now DD!

Actually a bit of relief this evening. Mam is a nurse (and always right :) ) she was convinced by what I described that I had an infection and insisted I get antibiotics. Well a friend of mine is a pharmacist in Galway and sorted me out. I was knocked out for a few hours what with all the different tablets I'm now popping but I woke up and I feel a notable improvement :)

• Advertisement

Yeah...paying the price for it now DD!

Actually a bit of relief this evening. Mam is a nurse (and always right :) ) she was convinced by what I described that I had an infection and insisted I get antibiotics. Well a friend of mine is a pharmacist in Galway and sorted me out. I was knocked out for a few hours what with all the different tablets I'm now popping but I woke up and I feel a notable improvement :)

Absolutely!! Your mam is always right! I actually wondered why they didn't give you antibiotics...even scrolled up yesterday to confirm that you wrote both pills were painkillers. Didn't seem logical. Good for your mom! :)

Absolutely!! Your mam is always right! I actually wondered why they didn't give you antibiotics...even scrolled up yesterday to confirm that you wrote both pills were painkillers. Didn't seem logical. Good for your mom! :)

She is a legend-the amount of times she has made the right call, given the correct advice when it comes to health! These pills are making me quite sick :( I've had 2/3 'turns' now and the only thing that sorts it is to lie down in bed. Not looking forward to the drive back to Dublin

Had a nightmarish last few days with tooth. On two different types of antibiotics and some painkillers. The cocktail gave me headaches and made me very sick.

As I said before this year is a bit of a mess but I am going to turn it into a positive. I am sorting out health issues-including this tooth (having it and possibly the bottom right one too out during the summer).

I already know what I want to do next year. So this year I will use to lay the foundations and the conditions necessary for year on year improvement which is what I seek and which will not happen this year because of all these issues.

My overall aim and what I strive towards is just to get the most/best of of myself and reach my potential. To do that I feel I should be averaging more than 10.5hrs a week. So that explains why I am prioritising health this year as this is my main limiter.

So I am happy to just use the rest of this year to improve health and hopefully I will see the benefits next year. I will still compete this year when I can as I enjoy racing and all going well perhaps some results will be very good but I really don't care about results right now. Health and enjoyment are my aims this year :) :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Had a nightmarish last few days with tooth. On two different types of antibiotics and some painkillers. The cocktail gave me headaches and made me very sick.

As I said before this year is a bit of a mess but I am going to turn it into a positive. I am sorting out health issues-including this tooth (having it and possibly the bottom right one too out during the summer).

I already know what I want to do next year. So this year I will use to lay the foundations and the conditions necessary for year on year improvement which is what I seek and which will not happen this year because of all these issues.

My overall aim and what I strive towards is just to get the most/best of of myself and reach my potential. To do that I feel I should be averaging more than 10.5hrs a week. So that explains why I am prioritising health this year as this is my main limiter.

So I am happy to just use the rest of this year to improve health and hopefully I will see the benefits next year. I will still compete this year when I can as I enjoy racing and all going well perhaps some results will be very good but I really don't care about results right now. Health and enjoyment are my aims this year :) :cool:

Re the bolded bit. I am starting to realise as each year that passes in the sport to fulfill potential does not equate to just hrs trained a week (although a necessary ingredient). There is so much more required, good health, discipline, the correct intensity & mix of training, mentally being in the right place, being patient and keeping a positive outlook whilst keeping a good balance in life. The actual training itself i feel is only one part of it and without the rest none of us will fulfill our potential. All imo even from some of the crap i have been experiencing of late.
    Hopefully the tooth clears up soon, if we were horses we would have been put down by now:)

Re the bolded bit. I am starting to realise as each year that passes in the sport to fulfill potential does not equate to just hrs trained a week (although a necessary ingredient). There is so much more required, good health, discipline, the correct intensity & mix of training, mentally being in the right place, being patient and keeping a positive outlook whilst keeping a good balance in life. The actual training itself i feel is only one part of it and without the rest none of us will fulfill our potential

Thanks JB. You put it better than I ever could :cool:

The above title is all to common this year :rolleyes:

Some training to log.

Sat 4th May

Bike

First training to log in 9 days, it was nice to be mobile again :) Just an hour easy of my home looped circuit. Felt fine, very windy out there.

Time 1:04; Dist 31km; Speed 28.8kph; Power Ave/NP 205/221; Cad 95;

20min of core and strength then.

Sun 5th May

Run

Windy again but dry. Did an out and back as that's the only way I can do a flat run at home. Felt fine and gld to be running again. Just swimming left now :)

Time 29:55; Dist 6.2km; Pace 4:32/km;

The same 20min of core after.

Okay, deep breath...here I go again.

^^^ :)

So this was to be the week that I got my tri season under way, alas what with the flu and wisdom tooth infection in the last 4/5 weeks and 16 full days down it ain't going to happen. This was also the possibility of a mid week hit out at the club 20k TT (LOVE midweek races :) ) again, not going to happen. That's grand though-main thing is I am feeling pretty good.

Monday 6th May

Run
    Easy

I had a load of jobs around the home place to get done, a funeral to go too (an nice old neighbour of ours :() and a drive back to dublin so I only got 35min in which was better than nothing. Running is feeling okay actually. Before the tooth infection I was finding the easy stuff pretty easy and enjoyable, I dread the faster stuff comnig my way as I know it will hurt for the first 2 weeks or so but then those sessions will turn back into my favourite sessions I hope.

Time 33:28; Dist 7.4km; Pace 4:32; Cad 81;

Tues 7th May

Bike
    Sub Threshold/Sweet Spot Stuff

Normal a definite turbo session, sit on and dial it in type but with that lovely sunny weather it was straight out the door, who know's-it may be the only sunny day we get! Anyway I need practice regualting my effort out on the road, it is after all where we race. Shorts and short sleeves were the order of the day. This session had some efforts in it:3x(10@ 240-260 watts, 5 easy) I am lucky to have a great stretch of road for this type of session, great surface and rolling. Today was very windy out there indeed which along with the rolling hills meant that I really had to focus to stay in the desired power zone.

Rep)Ave Power/NP/Cad/Speed/HR
    1) 243/251/92/31.7/144
    2) 248/256/94/34.4/145
    3) 252/259/90/32.9/145

Legs felt great after this, not fatiuged. A really enjoyable session.

Time 1:09; Dist 35.9km; Power Ave/NP 217/235; HR 137; Cad 92; Speed 31kmp

30min then of some core and work and stretching and rolling.

No swimming in two weeks now. I am nervous because before that break there was something up big time with my swimming. Tomorrow morning we will see.

Weds Morn 8th May

Swim
    NAC LC

Nervous about this one, first swim in 2 weeks and it looked tough. It included some fast 50's and 4x200 mod hard. I was nervous for another reason, before my enforced break my swimming had regressed to 2010 times. The only reason or link I could make for this was it coincided with a move to the TT bike and Monday's swim session did not appear affected i.e Weds and Fri were (I had bike sessions the day before Weds and Fri sessions) So, yesterday I had a bike session so would I still be swimming like a brick this morning? Answer...yes. I felt my whole body was siking. The feeling when you check your splits is not one of dissappointment for me, rather a feeling of fury. However, there were "yes!" moments in there. I feared the worst after the WU, I always know during the WU how the session will go and it wasn't looking good. The mod 200's should be coming in between 3:30-3:25 (50m pool, well really nearer 3:20 but anyway...)

1) 3:38
    2) 3:45
    3) 3:46
    4) 3:46

So the first yes moment was that I seemed to stop the rot. Previous sessions these 200's would have gone out to 4min. Now these were supposed to be off 4min but I had to go to 4:15.

The second "yes" moment was when I didn't alow the fast 50's go out to 50sec

1) 45sec
    2) 48sec
    3) 46sec
    4) 46sec

So I may have stopped the rot. I hope. I wonder is it just a case of a time of adaptaation and I just need to work through this and my body will adapt.

My TT bars are too close TBH as I have wide shoulders but this did not affect me last year. There is no adjustability there. I will presevere. Friday morning will be interesting as I do not have a bike session on Thursday.

Run

Not as comfortable a run as Sun or Mon but that was expected because it was my first double training day in over two weeks.

Time 45:35; Dist 9.9km; Pace 4:36/km; HR 153;Cad 82;

Thurs 9th May

Run

I look forward to when I look forward to these sessions again :) These sessions along with 800m/1000m intervals were my favourite but at the moment I struggle a bit with them. To be expected. I do feel however I paced this much better then 3 weeks ago although I felt like crying upon seeing the ave pace for the steady bit and mod hard. However, it does not matter where I was or where I'm coming from or indeed where I think I should be. What matters is where I am right now. Answer below:

10 steady: Pace 4:30/km; HR 161; Cad 82;
    10 mod: Pace 4:18/km; HR 171; Cad 83;

Still though I kinda felt strongish and like I said I felt I paced those well. It was very windy out and showery, back to horrible weather-hard to believe it was shorts and short sleeves on Tuesday!

So a little dissappointing to see where I am but I know enough to know 3/4 weeks of consistency and things will look a lot better.

Time 45:39; Dist 9.8k; Pace 4:39/km; HR 159; Cad 82;

Fri 10th May

Swim
    NAC LC

A mixed bag this morning in the pool. Could not do any fast 50's or descend the 50's and as this was my longest pool session of the year thus far at 3,000m it showed towards the end and especially the second 400. But there were positives. A definite improvement in the aerobic stuff, still in "stopping the rot phase" but perhaps the start of the upward curve now, we'll see. One point to note is that normally there is not much difference in my pull and swim times, even since I got the big buoy but this morning it was clear that I was swimming better with the PB. This indicates decline in my body position in/on the water. This lines up with the way I was feeling on Weds when it felt like my whole body was sinking.

100sw: 1:47; 1:47/100
    200p: 3:37; 1:48/100
    300sw: 5:36; 1:52/100
    400p: 7:13; 1:48/100
    400sw: 7:27; 1:51/100
    300p: 5:31; 1:50/100
    200sw: 3:40; 1:50/100
    100p: 1:48; 1:48/100

Time 0:55; Dist 3,000m

Bike

Just an hour easy and it was. It was very windy out there this evening but thats good practice.

Time 1:00; Dist 28.9km/h; Power Ave/NP 188/205; Cad 94; HR 128;

• Advertisement

Sat May 11th

Bike
    Long bike with 3x30min steady efforts

I quit a session today because I just couldn't get my head into it. I was just feeling a little down today for some reason. Got started and did an hour. It was v windy (dangerously so really) and pissing down. After an hour I just said fvck this and stopped.

Felt pretty bad about it and admitting I quit a session cos I felt a bit down, well hasn't come easy and I feel a bit ashamed for it.

Time 1hr; Dist 31km; Speed 29.5kph; HR 136; Power Ave/NP 199/219; Cad 91;

Sun May 12th

Run

Well after yesterday I just wanted to go out with no distractions. Just me and my thoughts and try and enjoy. So I left the garmin at home and off I went. Probably enjoyed this run more than any this year. I thought I'd see how it went and if I wasn't feeling it I'd call it a day but i was grand, kept comfortable throughout. It was while on this run that i rationalised what happened yesterday. I felt so much better after it :)

Time 1:10; Dist 15k; Pace 4:40/km

Mon May 13th

Swim

No WU or CD here, straight into the main set from Friday. Something happened during this set which was totally unexpected but so so so welcome. A tumbling in times! Back from plodding along doing my very best to hit 2010 times to all of a sudden doing 2012 times! It happened after the first set, the up part of the pyramid. Well something I must mention-I had 4 other people jump into my set! Normally/always I work away solo on the prescribed set given to me by my coach but this morning I was asked by a friendly gent in my lane if I wanted to do a set with them. I politely declined explaining that I was following a set. He then asked me what I am doing and he seemed happy enough to go with it! He then stopped the others in the lane, including the class act that is Aoife Lynch, and said to them what he was doing, they all jumped on board! I was a bit put off because I know these guys as they are always there when I am and all par one are swimming much better than I. This alone frustrates me as last year I was ahead of them and now for no reason I am like an ape in the water. Also I cannot understand how you can come to a pool, get in and do a few lengths before deciding what you are actually going to do! I like to know prior to the session what I am doing so that I can prepare mentally and know exactly what I am looking to get out of it, so afterwards in my analysis of it I know how well it went or otherwise.

Anyway.... here are the numbers for the up part of the pyramid...

100sw - 1:43; 1:43/100
    200p - 3:40; 1:50/100
    300sw - 5:39; 1:53/100
    400p - 7:13; 1:48/100

the numbers for the up part of the pyramid...

400sw - 6:51; 1:42/100
    300p - 5:01; 1:40/100
    200sw - 3:21; 1:40/100
    100p - 1:41; 1:41/100

For the downard part of the pyramid I had the benefit of a draft but could it have given me this much of a boost? I think it may have more to do with the fact that I was going pretty hard to try and keep feet, which I lost on all but the last 100p. Anyway, I am hoping that it is a sign of improvement.

Tues 14th May

Strength

Plenty of core/strength work with some rolling too.

Time 1:15

Weds 15th May

Swim

Finding these longer sessions tough but I like that and I know I'll get used of them like previous years. Again signs of improvement even though I did tire. There were improvements in the mod hard 100's and fast 50's. Not near where I was last year and it will be well into the summerbefore that happens but at least an improvement on where I was.

Splits here http://connect.garmin.com/splits/313126111

Run

Not a comfortable run and therefore not enjoyable but it got done :) I felt a bit heavy and sluggish, yesterday's run was the opposite but I was fresher.

Time 48min; Dist 9.95k; Pace 4:48/km;

I also had 25min of a basketball game in school, teachers V 6th years, teacher won as per, we kick ass! My teen years were spent playing this game from morning light to darkness in the evening...not your typical country lad. I bloody loved it and had a lot of success with it, it was the only time however that I wished I lived in Dublin! Miss that sport :)

Thurs 16th May

Bike

This was a lovely spin, sun splitting the stones :) I put in 5x20sec sprint efforts and they felt pretty good.

Time 1:00; Dist 29.77km; Speed 29.7kph; HR 134; WATT Ave/NP 186/224; Cad 95;

Fri 17th May

Swim

A nice session, I think I might be beginning to enjoy swimming again. The 100p were 1:44-1:46. I had a 200 CD but I couldn't help myself, I just wanted to push it a little to see if I could indeed push it. I did the 200 in 3:22, a time I haven't seen in many a week. Good for confidence :)

Time 45min; Dist 2,000m

I had a 40 min run planned but that got dumped unfortunately.

Sat 18th May

Bike

Well that a miserable day in the saddle. So bloody wet and cold from minute one. Anyway, at east this one got done. I felt grand, obviously far from where I want to be but I'm happy enough considering everything.

Time 2:32; Dist 74.33km; Speed 29.3kph; Watt Ave/NP 193/206; HR 132;

Well I will just start with my race report for Rosses Point I guess...

Rosses Point Olympic Distance Triathlon

I headed to Sligo with just one aim, get back on the racing scene and enjoy. I knew it would be tough and I'd suffer but it just might help me get my head around where I am at the moment and what I have to do to get back to where I want to be.

I got there early and had issues with my race wheel which needed sorting. Got that done and met Bambatta, his lovely wife and mad dog! Also bumped into Anphib King West and his missus :) Well I was actually looking forward to the swim and here is how it went.

Swim

It was a long walk to the swim start but it started as a lovely day an the stroll was nice :) The water was really nice actually. There was a cross wind blowing which made breathing from the right difficult so I did a fair amount of breathing from the left which wasn't really a problem as I practiced this quite a bit. West coast swims are often like that. I personally love west coast swims. I didn't get many feet to follow but I got some. My sighting wasn't the best, I found it difficult to see the yellow buoys, IMO more than 3 are required for a swim of the distance. I measured it at 1,700m and a quick glance at the watch tells me 29:xx.

The run to transition then caused me to cramp and I had to stop and stretch. This is so annoying as people stream by, it is a little embarrassing TBH because there were so many people standing there cheering. Anyway...it could have been worse, the 'mouse' collapsed on the beach much like something from "Saving Private Ryan"! He was in serious pain. Cramp in his left hamstring, same as myself.

Split 31:25; Pos 50/173

T1

A long T1 for me as I really had to stretch the cramping left hamstring. I didn't really care as I knew I would not be competitive today anyway so I just took my time.

Bike

When I cramp coming out of the water the part that I dread the most is when I have to secure my bike shoes while on the bike. This is because my hamstrings are not stretched and it's when they can go into a complete knot! Well thankfully it did not happen :) Phew...this means I can bike fairly well.

The bike course was 3 laps and I love lap courses and this is probably my favourite olympic bike course. It certainly does not suit my strengths but still a real nice course. I had the garmin set to lap every 13kand my aim was to bike at 90-95% (258-272watts)

Lap 1: Time 22:16; Dist 13km; Power Ave/NP 263/274; HR 164; Speed 35kph; Cad 96

Lap 2: Time 22:11; Dist 26km; Power Ave/NP 270/277; HR 163; Speed 35.1; Cad 101; TSS 102; IF 0.95;

Lap 3: Time 22:50; Dist 39km; Power Ave/NP 259/268; HR 160; Speed 34.2kph; Cad 96

I held a little back on lap one, picked it up a bit on lap 2. On lap 3 I started to feel it a bit, according to some the wind had picked up by then and the course was getting pretty tricky due to the rain now falling fairly heavily. I actually almost ended up in the ditch on lap 3 but kept in control just about :) There was a pretty testing climb on each lap, I was able to stay on the aero bars and on each lap went past a good few others. Coming off the bike I really was not looking forward to a 10k run :)

Time 1:08:46; Dist 39.62km; Power Ave/NP 260/272; Cad 97; Speed 34.6kph; HR 162;

Run

What a horrible run. DOn't get me wrong, I think if you were in shape you'd love the run course but I was far from in shape. The legs were so heavy from the off. In the first 300m you have to tackle a sharp 100m descent...that was all my legs needed. The left hamstring crumbled up into a ball. Coming off the bike I was around 20th position but I lost at least 10 places as I tried somehow to get the knot in my left hammy to loosen up. No joy though. I thought that this was the end of my day but I just kept at it and after a couple of mins I got walking again. By now I was on the beach. We had to run the entire length of it on fairly well compact sand. After a min or so of wlking I got into a kind of jog and pulled one or two places back. It was all about survival now (and trying to hold P Gibbo off!) The first climg up the steep ascent wasn't too bad thankfully. Then into and around the village green and back to the beach again. This time I did not cramp going down onto the beach but the quads were on the verge now as well as the hamstrings. Those of you that suffer from cramping know this hell. Jogge the beach again, at this stage it was lashing and I was getting cold. The second time up the ramp broke me and I had to walk it. I was still in fear of Gibbo as he was closing very fast. Anyway I held on and was so happy to finish. I had only a min or so to wait for Gibbo who ran so well and one of the fastest run splits of the day.

Time 46.39; Dist 10.0km; Pace 4:40/km; HR 156;

So that was my race.

Disappointing to see that my nearest rival from last year (3 times only 10sec separated us) has moved on and I have gone back. He (Cormac McGarry) got on the overall podium with a 3rd place finish. I'll use this to keep me motivated though it'll be at least a year before I catch him now :)

Great to be back at it and fair play to Sligo. I love the swim and bike course and I know had I been in shape the run course too would have been enjoyable. It's very much like HoTW but with an easier bike and run IMO.

Great to meet all the boardies and especially Abhainn for the first time.

Training has continued but I'm only updating from last Sat :)

Sat 8th June

Bike

So the coach gave me a choice here after failing last Sat and Tuesday on my bike targets. I decided that there was no point in even attempting the 3x{25min@280w} that was on the menu when I failed last weekend so I tried last weekends again. On Weds I noticed that my left hip was sore and this reminded me of last year when I was riding with my saddle a but to low. I checked the height and it was fine but Fernando has told me before that one's position does change as the year goes on and you get fitter (or less fit). So a raise of 1cm made all the difference. My RPE was back in check and cadence back to normal. Hit the 280 targets as 280/280/280/282.

The run off too was much better, more in control and less laboured.

Just for comparison's sake:

Last Week

Ave/NP/HR/CAD/Speed

279/282/159/91/35.5
    272/278/160/88/36.3
    268/273/159/84/33
    257/261/158/87/32.7

Today

Ave/NP/HR/CAD/Speed

280/279/157/95/37.7
    280/280/159/98/37.2
    280/280/161/96/35.5
    282/281/163/97/38.8

SO much more favourable. I know when I cannot turn the pedals at my usualy cadence that something is not quite right, the difference in cadence above says it all. Once again I am reminded that 1cm can make such a big difference.

Total 2:38; Dist 86km; Speed 32.6kph; Power Ave/NP 217/237; Cad 96; HR 141; IF 0.83; TSS 179;

Sun 9th June

Run
    80min LER with steady last 20

Very similar to last weeks run, I am feeling stronger and although the steady 20 at the end isn't quick-it is at least quicker than the rest of the session and it is of course being done on tired legs.

Steady 20:

Pace 4:37/km; HR 162;

Overall

Time 1:19:05; Dist 16.7km; Pace 4:44/km; HR 153; Cad 84;

Mon 10th June

Swim

Swimming continues to improve. I need to be less careless though, I did 15x100 swim instead of 15x100 alt swim/pull. So I geuss I missed out on what I precieved to be the focus of the session, namely - balance and body position. Anyway, still a decent session. The 15x100 swim times were (Pool in 50m format):

1) 1:35
    2) 1:44
    3) 1:38
    4) 1:35
    5) 1:37
    6) 1:39
    7) 1:38
    8) 1:37
    9) 1:37
    10) 1:39
    11) 1:38
    12) 1:37
    13) 1:38
    14) 1:38
    15) 1:39

Time 60min; Dist 2,800m

Run

Off to the Phoenix Park for this one. Trying to do as much running as I can there as I really enjoy trail running and it saves the legs in the long run. God knows the winters are long enough here and road/pavement running is the only option. Anyway really enjoyed this, I did not check the garmin but I knew I was in the right HR zone but I guessed my pace was 4:22/km...surprised to see though it was only 4:33/km. Not at all bothered, the legs are felling the last 2.x weeks of build work. Looking forward to my recovery week but only because this build phase is going well and I'm loving the fact that I am now getting a run at it :)

Time 31:56; Dist 7km; Pace 4:33/km; HR 151; Cad 85;

Tues 11th June

Bike
    incl 30@90%

Jumped on the turbo again for this, much easier to dial it in and make sure I hit the desired wattage. Held 258 for the 30min which is 89.9% :) I felt pretty good but picking it up another few watts would have been difficult.

30@90%: Power Ave/NP 258/258; HR 152; Cad 96;

Overall:

Time 50min; Power Ave/NP 211/233; HR 135; Cad 94;

Okay, gotta try and update more frequently, at this rate I am almost as bad as Bambatta! :)

Weds 12th June

Swim

I am so used of getting up at 5:30 or so every morning (6-6:30 weekends) but this morning I was wrecked which meant and extra 2 hours in the bed. It made all the difference and I felt great getting up but it meant it would be tight to fit in the session as I'd be kicked out of the pool by 9:30. Unfortunately this is just what happened. I was annoyed with myself. 2,300m out of 2,800m done but at least I got the main set done.

I know this session would be a struggle straight away. I am feeling the efforts of the last 3 weeks or so. But, I surprised myself in the end.

Main set: 4x200 aiming for less than 3:30 off 4min.

1) 3:30
    2) 3:29
    3) 3:28
    4) 3:21

After the first I thought that it would be a struggle. But as it went on I made a small change to my stroke. It felt so much more efficient. I was keeping my arms closer to my body and it just felt tidier and less laboured. By the 4th I really had it nailed and that 4th effort seemed not to take as much out of me. I was keen to finish the session so I could prove it wasn't a fluke and confirm that I was swimming better but alas I was kicked out. My own fault. Looking forward to Fridays session now!

Time 0:45; Dist 2,000m;

Run 50 Easy

Well I am in Leitrim for a couple of days, Lough Rynn Castle to be exact. Linda has been mad busy, up the walls at work so I thought I'd treat her (and myself ;) ) to couple of nights away. Really, really nice here and very reasonable IMO. Unfortunately I have no biking on the cards while here because there is great cycling to be had up here. Great surfaces and plenty of hills! I might just get a recovery ride in though.

I was hoping for some trail runs around here like in Farnham Estate in Cavan (again highly recommended). There were none of significant distance so I found a lovely 10k route around the Hotel/lough, it was undulating and very quiet. I found it difficult to get my HR into the desired easy zone, it was out of wack with my RPE and pace. Anyway I just went at the pace I know is easy. A very enjoyable 50min.

Time 50min; Dist 11.06km; Pace 4:30/km; HR 143; Cad 85;

Thurs 13th June

Run
    6x{5 mod, 1 easy}

Up early to get this done so we could enjoy the rest of the day. I still had the HR problem, it just is not matching up with expected pace and my RPE. Anyway I just ignored and went by pace/RPE.
    On the menu today included:6x(5 mod hard, 1 easy) So a step up from last week which was a step up on the previous week. These type sessions used to be a firm favourite with me and it is beginning to go that way again as I get fitter :) The first four reps included significant hills but the last two were mainly flat with a decline on rep 5.

No/Pace/HR/Cad

1) 4:15/156/88
    2) 4:07/152/87
    3) 4:08/149/86
    4) 4:04/156/88
    5) 3:45/156/88
    6) 3:50/159/89

Something that I have noticed recently is that my cadence is beginning to come more in line with my bike cadence and closer to 90. I have not done any specific work or drills but I hope it is a sign of better running tech. I notice that when doing easy I am now running with a cadence of 85spm (was 8/82). When doing more race pace stuff it is closer to 90spm. Hopoefully this all means a more efficient runner :)

Time 58min; Dsit 13.2km; Pace 4:25/km; HR 146; Cad 86; TSS 104.2; IF 0.98

Friday 14th June

Swim

Headed to Aura in Carrick On Shannon, by the way this town would be an ideal location for a triathlon, there was one planned last year but it was cancelled. I was hoping that they would have lanes in which they did. Actually it was a really nice leisure centre.

4x50 des 1-4 on 60: 50, 48, 44, 41

The main set (sw was easy p was steady):

100sw 1:39 - 1:39/100m
    200p: 3:09 - 1:34/100m
    300sw: 5:19 - 1:46/100m
    400p: 6:25 - 1:36/100m
    300sw: 5:26 - 1:49/100m
    (this should have been a 400, just another example of my poor concentratin/focus levels these days)
    300p: 4:51 - 1:37/100m
    200sw: 3:37 - 1:48/100m
    100p: 1:31 - 1:31/100m

Fast 50 on 60: 40, 41, 41, 41.

Time 1:00; Dist 3,000m;

Bike

Got out on the roadie for this as I just wanted a change, so no power numbers but I know what easy feels like at this stage. Enjoyable spin.

Sat 15th June

Bike
    Long Bike With 20k TT

Got out early to get this done. Man I was tired. My first build phase has left me pretty tired-exactly the way I should feel after a build phase. Recovery week next week is perfectly timed as usual. I kept in in the granny gear as much as I could for the first 1.5hrs as I knew I had the 20k TT to do then, I was still in easy zone but the lower end of it. Just as I reached the roundabout in Trim I got the alert, so I rounded it and off I went.

Time 33:25; Dist 20km; Speed 35.6km/h; HR 159; Cad 98; Power AV/NP 275/273;

So those numbers were a bit disappointing of course, I can do better but it was expected. Still not bad, I am just plain tired. Still this was a decent session.

Time 3:00; Dist 92km; Speed 30.6km/h; HR 136; Power AVE/NP 195/214; Cad 96; IF 0.75; TSS 167;

Sun 16th June

Run
    LER

If I was tired yesterday, well then..... I was really pushed for time and didn't get the 90 min done, only 75min. Too often this happens, my own poor time management. Needs to change, I was once excellent at this and will be once again.

Time 1:15; Dist 16km; Pace 4:43/km; HR 142; Cad 85;

Mon 17th June

Swim

A great swim sesion. The best of 2013. The main set was 10x100 alt swim/pull and they all came in the (25m format)1:31-1:34 range with little or no difference between swim and pull times. I had to pull back howere on the last two making them the slowest, I got a god damn awful cramp in my right quad which hampered me a lot (sure sign I need a good massage!) The fast 50's were also hampered; 41, 41, 43, 45. Today though was more about the feeling that I had in the water, it's returning for sure.

Run

40min easy, I just concentrated on decent form...still tired though :)

Time 50min; Dist 9km; Pace 4:43/km; Cad 85; HR 148;

Tues 18th June

Bike

I was planning on doing this at 5ish when i got a call for my mother...she was on her way upfor a family get together-cousins graduation diner in Bray! I had totally forgotten but let on I didn't of course. No way I could get the session in now as I scrabbled to get there on time. Damn it, session missed.

Weds 19th June

Pulse Bull Wall Aquathon

A really nice evening for this and avery enjoyable race. I had been seriously considering pulling out as I felt very tired (humid bloody nights means I am struggling to sleep well!). Linda talked me around and she really wanted to see Bull Island, so off we went. I had a mad rush though to get registered, go to the jacks and get set up. I just about made the start.

Swim

The water was lovely. The first bouy was not very far from our starting position so it was going to be tight getting around it. So I got to the front from the off and a bit to the right. My tactic was to keep out of trouble so go a little wide. It was a good tactic and I got through with no issues. There was a fair chop and it was slamming the right side of my face which meant I had toswitch to breathing on my left side. This was fine as I do practice it. I lost form/focus at times which is to be expected with the way things have gone this year and the lack of race shapness. Still though I was happy overall.

Time 10:40; Dist 614m; Pace 1:44/100m; Stroke/min 33;

Split Pos 22/164

Transition

Surprisingly good transition for me...it helps that I was not crapping I guess! 12th fastest split :)

Run

Well heading here tonight I said that I would be thrilled with a 3:50/km pace for the run. I really thought I would suffer though. It actually went well.

starting in 22nd I knew there was plenty to do bu I was just concentrating on good pacing and let the rest take care of itself. I straight away passed 4 or 5 and settled into a nice pace. Before the turn aound I passed a few more. I kept expecting to see the leaders coming back from the turn around, that turn around took forever! I counted that I was in 12th so I knew a top 10 was a possiblilty. I was sure someone would pass me though. I spotted 3 guys running together and I aim for them...3 for the price of 1! This brought me to 9th. I had my crosshairs fixed on a tall guy from the off but I just could not get him, he was passing everyone I was passing. I got two more which brought me to 7th and I closed the gap to him to about 15m or so but just couldn't get him. s it happened we were running the same pace more or less, my time was 20:08 and his 22:06.

Delighted with my run. My ave pace was 3:49/km, and the 5th fastest on the night (chipit have me down as 20:18 but this was due to a mix up at the end asI lost my timing chip)

Time 20:08; dist 5.26km; Pace 3:49/km; HR 168;

Split Pos 5/164

Overall - 7th

A great evening and a race I would like to do again. Great to see and meet my club mates Macanri, Joey100 and Ray O, well done lads.

The guy that won last night was a guy that I beat regularly last year. Yet another example of a guy that has pushed on since last year while I have stayed static/gone back. I'm not being hard on myself but it is a bit irritating. Luckily I am usually good at using these situations to motivate me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Transition

Surprisingly good transition for me...it helps that I was not crapping I guess! 12th fastest split :)

I assume you mean cramping! :rolleyes:

Nice race El D. Looks like your run legs are returning.

Sub 30 for the SoG?

pgibbo wrote: »
    I assume you mean cramping! :rolleyes:

Nice race El D. Looks like your run legs are returning.

Sub 30 for the SoG?

:pac::pac::pac: oh god, me and my carelessness!

Yeah it would seem so and I can tell you they were very tired legs yesterday.

For the 5th year in a row I will miss SoG :( Sub 30 8k is about 2 years over due now!

Sub 29 yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Fine performance there last night El D. Well done

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done El D...good to see you last night...great racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Fair play ElD, good to see things coming around. Looking forward to catching up Saturday. Whereabouts are you staying?

Advertisement