Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Triathlon Evolution Continues....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

@RQ thanks and great to see and hear you too! Thanks for the support from you and all the Pulse crew - ye did a great job.

@bambatta thanks dude, it is nice to finally see some improvements. Still though a long, long way to go to where I want to be. I am staying in Donegal town, rented a beach house their with two good mates I only ever get to see once a year or so. We might head to Bundoran though for the Sea Sessions, is that what ye are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

We're in Bundoran but not going to go to Sea Sessions. Tickets too pricey especially considering i dont like anyone playing. Might happen to pick some up though, we'll see. Still a great spot to go out after the race though!

Well this season is certainly not going to be vintage, it will not be one to remember. First there was all the early year interruptions, colds, flus and wisdom teeth infections meant that I had at least 16 days of unscheduled down time. It also meant that we had to make do with base work, keeping everything primarily easy, I could not really introduce any intensity or build work until 3 weeks ago or so. Now nothing wrong with that per se, it gives you a great base to work from and all you need to do is push back your planned A races. Not a problem when it is not an IM event outside of the country. However, in my case there is a problem.

It is now thought that the wisdom teeth issue was really the cause of a lot of my ills. My GP is also qurying a possible very uncommon syndrome, I won't mention it right now until I know more. One thing for sure - the wisdom teeth have to go, all 4 of them. This means at 5 days zero training and then it can take 2/3/4 weeks or more sometimes for the body to flush out all the meds/drugs I will be on. It took 3 weeks in May when I had that infection, I know this because I just could not push my body and I felt so fatigued all the time.

Okay, that's cool, I could still have a decent season. Get in one decent build block and race Mullaghmore and Kilkee, have my surgery and then get another build or perhaps 2 and aim to peak at the end of Sept. That could work except....I have been given a very unique/strange oppertunity. I have a an 11 day all expenses paid lads holiday in Aug!

Okay so where does that leave me. Well just because it won't be a vintage season does not mean I cannot have 1/2 memorable races, races that I can bank in my memory to keep me motivated during the winter. I mean I only had 2/3 really satisfying races last year and those memories have kept me believing all this time, through injury and illness and feeling crap! Another big thing for me is that whatever I can get done this year will contribute to the overall acculatory effect of year on year training.

So this is the plan.

June 22nd Mullaghmore

29th June Kilkee

6th July A possible sprint (depends how I am feeling after Kilkee) - Athlone NC or the better value Ballina Salmon Run Sprint

8th July Surgery :(

27th July A possible Sprint

4th Aug Belfast Olympic (combined with a long weekend in the region)

8th Aug Party Time (I'll be bringing my runners and swim gear ;) )

8th Sept Lough Key Sprint

21st Sept Possible Blacksod Olympic (see how Lough Key goes first)

Okay so that is the plan. I will then take 3 weeks or so off and get back into training by mid Oct for 2014. I would love one thing though...a 17:30 5k in the Donore Harriers Dec race.

Okay some training after a rest day yesterday.

Fri 21st June (Longest Day of The Year...This always makes me feel sad :(

Swim NAC LC Format - Race Tune Up

Love the race tune up sessions the day before a race :) After a WU and some drills and descend set it was into the main set: 5x100sw at 10sec faster than race pace. I figured that race pace will be about 1:44/100 going on Weds night's race.

1) 1:31
    2) 1:33
    3) 1:33
    4) 1:33
    5) 1:32

I felt good.

Time 35min; Dist 1,600m

Okay I need to update this log more often and jazz it up a little, so, without further to do, I introduce...

Things That Triathlon Has Thought Me

Well this is my 4th season in tri and it has thought me a few things. Here they are, one per day per post :)

- Consistency is King

I may not be always able to practice this but it does not mean I don't know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

An all expenses paid lads holiday :eek:

To where?

catweazle wrote: »
    An all expenses paid lads holiday :eek:

To where?

Don't actually know...it is being kept a super duper secret!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

The longest day of the year makes you feel sad?? Is that because the upcoming days will be shorter?? If so, does that mean December 21st, the shortest day of the year, makes you happy?? :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    The longest day of the year makes you feel sad?? Is that because the upcoming days will be shorter?? If so, does that mean December 21st, the shortest day of the year, makes you happy?? :)

Precisely DD! I'm usually an optimist and always try to seek the positives but this is just one that gets me every year! On the other hand, Dec is a great day :€

Precisely DD! I'm usually an optimist and always try to seek the positives but this is just one that gets me every year! On the other hand, Dec is a great day :€

I'm totally picking up what you're putting down. ;)

Happy Summer Solstice, ElD!! You are now one day closer to that Winter Solstice!!! Woo hoo-ieeee!!! :D:D:D

<trying my best to cheer you up.>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

All expenses paid holiday! U lucky feicker!

Enjoying reading ur log as always el d, love ur honesty.

@dory dory thanks, you know what it did actually make me smile :)

@solobally8 thanks so much for the lovely words. It is nice to hear that someone enjoys the silly rambling of my log :) Your comment will also encourage me to be more frequent with my updates :rolleyes:

Fri 21st June

Bike & Run
    Race Tune Up

26min with some race pace efforts and then straight onto the run, steady pace and then some race pace before 4min easy.
    Mullaghmore Sprint Tri

I had not done this race since 2010 and since then it has remained my favorite sprint and I have been looking to go back since. So last Sat I did just that. The same course but very different conditions. It was winterly :rolleyes::o A great gang down there and great to get time to chat everyone one.

Warm Up

I left it as late as I could to warm up as it was just so horrible, wet and cold. Easy run with some race efforts.

Swim

Probably the toughest sprint swim that I have ever done. I wasn't sure if I handled the conditions well or not but looking back now I probably did as well as I could and a pace of 1:39/100 suggests to me that I swim as well as my current level allows me. So no complaints I guess. It was a pretty confusing start. We were told to enter the water but with the howl of the wind it was difficult to hear and I think some thought that this was the start! We were to get in and line up behind a small boat and buoy. I have learned over the years that the best way to handle all this messing at the start of a race (when chest high/in the water) to get behind some imaginary line is to ignore all the shouting. Just don't pull the p1ss. The Crooked Lake Tri is the only place I have ever seen this done right. A rope with flags on it place on top of the water between two boats, held by two peoplein those boats. The start is signaled by a rise of the rope. Simples. I noticed I was right beside Bambatta and so tried to hop on his feet. That lasted about 15sec. The beginning was frantic! Rough a swim that I have ever been involved in. This included having to stop and pull my left goggle out of my eye socket as it was nearly put through my skull with a elbow. I swam as far as I possibly could before poping up. There is a sharp incline up to transition. I was not sure were the mat was so I hit lap half way up the incline for a time of 14:44. The mat though was right outside transition and my offical time was 16:01.

Time 16:01; Dist 890m; Pace 1:39/100;

Split Pos 42/361

T1

A decent enough T1, no issues.

Bike

Starting in 42nd place I set about making enrodes to that but it was not easy. I felt I was struggling to handle the windy conditions. It really was not until I got to the main road and headed head on into the wind that I started to make progress. At times I felt a bit nervy/not comfortable on the bike with the gusts but I just did what I could. On the way back with the wind at my back things got better but I failed to take any more places coming into T2 in 21st place. My aim before the race was to bike at 280 watts (97.5%) and I did hold that for most of it but as I eased off a bit for the last 3k or so it dropped to 272w (95%). I should not have eased off but I knew the run is a challenge and that I am not exactly at the peak of my powers. In those last 3k 2 went by me but I was confident that their surges would mean that I would see them again on the run. I did :)

Although I was disappointed by my bike looking at the overall results made me feel a bit better as I biked the 14th fastest split.

Time 33:59; Dist 20km??; Speed 35.3/km; HR 164; Power AP/NP 273/285; VI 1.04(4%); Cad 97;

Split 14/361;

T2

Such was my haste to get out of T2 as quick as possible that I left my helmet on only for an eagled eyed spectator to bring it to my attention, I don't do back tracking while racing so I dived back under the ropes into transition and left my lid, far from my own transition spot!

Run

I actually think I was 20th going ontothe run. This run is epic as far as 5k's go. It is a true tester after coming off a bike, it is hilly and for the first 3k you have a very stiff head wind around Mullaghmore Head. I reeled in a guy on the first hill within a km of the run start. The second guy I got on the second hill. Although I have not practiced hills I still remember my technique for running up them, basically a busy style with short steps, upping the cadence and getting into a good rhythm with my arms. A busy style like I say :) The next 3 lads seemed like too much of an ask and I was suffering a bit, the wind was a killer even more so than the hills. I realised then just after 3k that the two guys in front of me were coming back towards me. Now I had the wind behind me at this stage and I got a second wind. I got another boost when we turned into a housing estate to do a short out and back, I couldn't believe that I had such a gap on the guy behind me so now all I had to to do was go all out in the last 1,500m or so. I very soon reeled in the guy in front but the next guy was still about 100m ahead. I closed it all the way to about 30m and gave it everything but I ran out of road.

Time 18:53; Dist 5k??; HR 166; Pace 3:46/km;

Split Pos 19/361;

Overall 17th/361;

Still a bit baffled that running has come on so well over the last few weeks. I suppose I have nearly 800km clocked this year but I have only 3 weeks or so of 1km+ repeats. Just goes to show though that a bit of consistency and plenty of easy miles topped with a little speed and you can see some great improvement. Now I ain't near last year's run from but I ain't far off either.

God I'd love another build period (1 done) after HoTW just to push that pace down another notch or two. Alas that won't happen this summer.

Sunday 23rd June

Bike Recovery

It was late when I got to do this as I had a lot of driving to do. Got on the turbo for it.

Time 1:30; Dist 41km;

Monday 24th June

Swim
    NAC SC

The same session as last Monday and my swim form is holding. After the WU and drills it was the main set: 10x100 alt sw/p mod hard on 2min;

1) 1:34 (sw)
    2) 1:34 (p)
    3) 1:33 (sw)
    4) 1:34 (p)
    5) 1:31 (sw)
    6) 1:34 (p)
    7) 1:34 (sw)
    8) 1:32 (p)
    9) 1:32(sw)
    10) 1:32 (p)

Nice to see little or no difference in the swim and pul sets now, unlike 1/2 months ago so this would indicate an improvement in body position.

Fast 50's off 60; 40, 42, 43, 42

Time 1hr; Dist 2,300m; Pace 1:36/100; Eff 35; SWOLF 35;

Run Easy

Early morning runs are not my favorite thing to do but sometimes needs must. I find I am just not firing. Swim and bike no problem but running is just a tad more difficult. Still though a decent trot.

Time 39:44; Dist 8.82km; Pace 4:31/km; HR 144; Cad 85; TSS 61.3; IF 0.92

Core/Strength Time 50min

Down home tomorrow and on my way back to Dublin it would be rude not to do the next round of the Midland Aquathon Series, for 5eur! Should where would you be going! :) Okay turbo time :cool:

• Advertisement

Tues 25th June

Bike
    Turbo

The session I missed last week. It's a nice session to have the week of a race, pitched just right. It included 3x6@above race pace. The plan this week is to bike at around 90%, so that means about 258w and TBH that is enough and I have too much respect for the HoTW bike and run course to let ego get in the way, I certainly will not bike over 260. So this evening it the aim was just to bike over that.

1) Power AP/NP 266/265; HR 157; CAD 95;
    2) Power AP/NP 267/265; HR 157; CAD 98;
    3) Power AP/NP 266/265; HR 157; CAD 95;

A nice session. Out the door now for recovery spin with Linda and the club, though I think we will do our own thing until Lins has built up her confidence, looks nice nice :)

Time 55min; Dist c.29km; Power AP/NP 191/215; HR 139; CAD 94; TSS 51; IF 0.75;

Bike Recovery

Indeed it was a pleasant evening and although I didn't get to meet up with the club it was probably just as well, it was nice to just roll around and enjoy.

Time 55min; Dist 20km; Speed 22km/h;

I forgot yesterday....

Things That Triathlon Has Thought Me :)

Not enough and poor quality sleep underpins best laid plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

More about the quality of sleep. Learning to switch off helps. I'm trying to figure out my sleep cycle pattern lately. 4 full cycles and you are good. Even one full cycle will wake you up fresher than 1.5...

More about the quality of sleep. Learning to switch off helps. I'm trying to figure out my sleep cycle pattern lately. 4 full cycles and you are good. Even one full cycle will wake you up fresher than 1.5...

Indeed. 4 full cycles seems just about right and is exactly what I aim for Mike. Switching off - can be very difficult sometimes. There are two things that I find difficult to switch off from (1) if I have had a evening race or a HIT session (2) if there are personal issues, be it financial, medical or just a relationship or whatever.

Have you used the Sleep Cycle App Mike? I used to, just to figure out my own sleep cycle. Not sure how helpful it is but it does force you to be conscious about it. There is also a Sleep/Relax app that I have starting using recently, jury still out.

Weds 27th June

Lanesborough Aquathon

Seriously...5euro! Unreal value. A really, really well organised event with plenty of helpful and friendly people. Credit where credit due. What do you get for your 5eur:

1) a fantastic course
    2) a very scenic venue, perfect swim location
    3) a safe event
    4) a relaxed, friendly atmosphere
    5) Split times, not chipped but recorded manually and called out during the race
    6) After the race,
    7) tea/coffee/water
    7) cakes
    8) sandwiches
    9) biscuits
    10) fruit
    11) Warm apple tart :)
    12) Prizes for M 1-3, F 1-3
    13) Great weather :cool:

The event is part of the Midland Aquathon Series and the next event is next Tuesday in Athlone. These deserve to be supported.

Okay, so...my 3rd race in 7 days and I guess it showed. Had Kilkee this Sat been a top priority race then this would certainly would have been binned. However, with my current situation I am just trying to fit in a few races before the surgery and while I am probably at the highest level of fitness that I am likely to get to this year.

Swim

One of if not the best swim location that I have swam in Ireland. Lough Ree, old harbour on the Lanesboro side of the bridge. Last year they (Lanesboro Tri Club) bought and installed a ramp and leave it in situ for the summer as well as two buoys marking the 750m course. This is only about 25min drive from my home place so finally I have found a suitable OW location near home. First time OW swimmers would feel safe here too, calm, sheltered and you can stand in it!

So we were all lined up, strange to be 30m from shore and still actually standing. The first buoy was only about 100m away so I knew how important it was to race to it just to keep out of trouble and the turn was very sharp. I did this and managed to stay out of trouble but it did take it out of me as I had no WU done as I arrived late. I got into my groove and tried to bridge to a person about 20m ahead but just could not reel him/her in. At one stage I thought, 'god, I wish this was non-wetsuit', such was the water temp. There were however very cold patches too as the Shannon runs into the lake. After the second turn I kinda got into a physical battle with someone, we seemed joined at the hip and it was a bit annoying but nothing sinister let me say. My best c.750m swim in the last 7 days with an ave pace of c.1:32/100m*

Time 11:34; Pace 1:32/100m; Dist c.750m

T1

The person I came in with left me for dead so I could have done better.

Run

I have been running well enough recently but would 3 5k's in 7 days be too much? I started well enough and passed about 4 in the first 600m or so but then when I got to the main road I hit a bad patch. I had a pain in my chest because I swallowed a lot of water and trapped some air which was very uncomfortable. I really felt like walking and looking at my HR it was very high. In one way I was glad to see that as I have not been able to get it up to where I'd like when racing recently. Why? Well I just put it down to having to fast track training and skip a whole build or maybe even two build phases. So I knew this was okay, it will benefit me in the long run but right now I needed to get it down. This for me, means breathing in and out of my nose. While doing this I slowed considerably and three things happened: (1) I got passed for the first time in my 3 5k run legs in the last 7 days (2) I lost contact with a group of about 5 athletes ahead (3) I completely forgot about form and I believe good form is the reason I am running well lately. At the turn around I knew I would not be catching any more as I was still suffering and they were still pulling away. The guy behind me was closing fast and I was not hopeful. At about 3k he closed right onto my shoulder and unfortunately for him this is when I came around. I felt good again. HR down a bit and I really started to dig in. I remembered the good form pointers, pick up cadence, moving my arms and keep the shoulders relaxed and lean slightly. He was breathing quite heavily and I knew that the longer he couldn't pass me the better for me and the worse for him. When you pass someone you need to do it with authority and I just felt that he had worked so hard to get on my shoulder that he might not be able for it. I then thought how could I shake him, I don't want a sprint. I remembered that we would have to turn left into the woods and there is an immediate downhill for about 300m, I would make my move here as I am pretty confident when it comes to opening up on downhills. Now I knew that there is a risk using this tactic, namely your HR can actually spike and if he was still with me at the end of the downhill then I would nt have enough time to recover for a sprint. As we came to the turn he had still not been able to pass me and I got to the turn first. There were two hi-vis guys warning us to slow down as we approached loose gravel, I knew it wasn't that bad and put the hammer down instead. I did not look back but I could not hear him anymore, finally with 200m to go I had a glance and saw a good 150m between so so I could slow down. I was delighted not to have to sprint as Kilkee was in the back of my mind. At the same time I really enjoyed the battle and that experience may stand to me some day :) Another 3:45/km paced 5k.

Time 18:46; Dist c.5km; Pace 3:46/km; HR Ave Max 175/183;

Overall 7th/c.100

Well done to Lanesbourgh Tri and thanks to all the helpers.

I would love another build block or two just to push the swim under 1:30/100m pace and the 5k pace to below 3:40/km. Alas, it is not to be.

Looking back at last year though my run seems to be at a par prior to HoTW 2012 and I ran 40:28 which in't bad for that course. Plenty of rest between now and then so and if I pace the bike well hopefully I can run well off it.

*my Garmin 910xt is suffering from a know bug affecting some units with the new 2.7 firmware update. Now this update was released last Nov but only becoming an issue now as it affects distance and ave pace while in automultisport (hence the circa above) Garmin, finally, accepted it was a bug and are trying to fix it. there is a work around, reinstall 2.6 but that ain't as easy as it sounds. Anybody needing the info on this let me know and I'll forward on what I did this morning to sort it. I am sure it has been discussed over on the Garmin Mega thread in Athletics also.

Things That Triathlon Has Thought Me

Poor nutrition unpins best laid plans. The book that most helped me with this was Racing Weight: How To Get Lean For Peak Performance - Matt Fitzgerald

My 4th Hell of The West in 5 years. There is a reason I do this every year. It is the premier triathlon event in Ireland in my opinion. Great course, great support, the attention to detail to the small things, a very good goody bag, decent prizes and a great after party.

Thursday was a rest day. Badly needed after 3 races in 7 days. I felt fairly jaded and that continued into Friday too so I decided to rest Friday as well for. Need to be rested for Kilkee and I knew I will only get 5 hours max Friday night. I got in 2 hours during the day instead of race tune up sessions.

Friday night Linda had a work do after work but was more than happy for me to collect her at 9:30. So I did and we hit for her home place in Galway. I only got 4 hours sleep before I had to get up and get ready for Hell of The West 2013 :) I was very excited and I did not feel at all tired. It took 2 hours to get there.

I registered and had to make do with an XL jacket but it was fine, very nice in fact. I did a 12min WU on the bike and everything was fine except for one thing. I could not get air into my tubs again. This has been an issue since I got y new tubs and got them glued in B2R, there is some glue or something in the valve...no air in or out. So I had to make do with about 100psi.

Once everything was set up in transition I made the decision to meet Linda in the Pantry for our traditional coffee before the race :) This meant I missed the race briefing but I know the course well and I asked guys I knew if there was anything new I needed to know that came from the briefing.

For comparisons sake I will include last years splits as it was my best ever Kilkee. Speaking of which, while I never expected to better or even match last year's performance it did give me confidence. The confidence that I know how to approach the race to get the best out of myself. I know a vigorous WU is not that important. I know keeping relaxed before the swim is important. I kow that even if you have a poor swim the tough bike with an extra 4km gives you the opportunity to make it up. The tough run will also give you the chance to reel in even more people. I know that you cannot attack that bike course unless you are in GREAT shape because if you do you better be prepared to walk some of the run.
    Kilkee - Hell of The West Race Report

Swim

Another race another confusing race start. I gave my opinion and an alternate race start. Here they used to old get behind the rope trick. I had a lovely clam, flat lake swim on Weds...this could not have been more different :) I love west of Ireland swims. It is different and sometimes it can be very different to the east. I just seem to do better in those swims although in Mullaghmore I struggled, probably because that was my first west of Ireland swim in 2013.

Usually I start in the middle or to the right of the first buoy. Today I just felt that starting to the left (as you look out) was the right thing to do. In hindsight in seems it was a good decision because all I am hearing from others is the rough and tumble that they had to go through on the way out to the first buoy. I had a nice ride out to the far buoy. Yes there was a massive swell but the doggy paddle sighting drill that Mr Tango showed me really, really helped. If anything I had my best swim in terms of navigation ever. In these conditions I feel a more "punch&roll/glide" technique works best. This is where I enter with a little extra force with my right hand and then glide slightly longer than normal then roll back and take my breath on the right side and "punch" and 'glide" etc... It worked well and it meant I could get a rhythm going. When I emerged from the water I heard "24:xx" called out and I thought "nice..." I felt it had to be short, 100m short at a guess, I didn't bother with the 910xt for the swim because I don't see the benefit. Actually I always found it difficult to read my numbers from my wrist on the bike, I don't trust the quick release system in the swim - too easy to be kicked off IMO. So I had it on the bike and the quick release strap on my wrist ready for the run.

Time 24:40; Dist c.1,400m; Pace c.1:45/100m; Split 82/696

Last year...

Time 29:20; Dist c.1,700m; Pace c.1:44/100m; Split 55/589

T1

A good transition by my standards

67/696

Bike

I knew on the bike that the return to Kilkee would be tough. I split the bike into 4x11km (autolap) and here are the numbers:

Time/Dist/Speed/AP/NP/Cad/HR

16:47/11km/39.3/261/281/99/165
    16:22/11km/40.3/272/278/101/162
    20:36/11km/32.0/263/266/99/153
    23:51/11km/27.4/252/267/95/151

My target watts was 258-260w, I hit 261w and at the time I was happy with that but I did not pace it well. That second section I averaged 272 and I reckon when I needed my legs most (the last 11k) they were gone. Things went downhill as can be plainly seen in section 4. I really suffered. So a more evenly paced effort is what is required. Luckily this did not affect my run..or perhaps it did, perhaps I could have ran better :confused:

Other points to note...1,300ml (800ml my protein tri carb and 500ml water) liquid fuel and two gels were too much. The day was not hot and 500ml/300ml would have done with one gel.

It was very disheartening to see the trains going by. The annoying thing is that they slowed down once they got ahead and I would end up over taking again but that was difficult into the wind and I'd soon drop back to them and they would go by again...at that stage they probably thought that I was part of their cheat line. So I sat up, had a few words with Bryangiggsy and we decided that was best to let them off. So sit up time. The thing was - I was cooked then anyway and they pulled well, well up the road. I really thought my run would be affected but I actually reeled in all but one of the cheats.

Overall

Time 1:18:18; Dist 43.91km; Speed 33.9kph; AP 261; NP 272; Cad 98; HR 157; Split 82/696

Last year...

Time 1:13:04; Dist 43.75km; Speed 36.1kph; Cad 93; HR 157; Split 23/589

My worst HoTW bike split since my first year, 2009. I wonder did my 100psi tub have much of an effect on me :confused:

T2

I got completely lost! Bad T2

405/696

Run

Well I know all about this run. In 2009 it broke me completely and it took me an hour to complete. Since then my time has consistently come down. I was very close to a sub 40 last year. Sub 40 on that course after that bike after that swim is no mean feat. I really did not expect to beat last years run time, especially after coming off a poor bike. On the run the watch was set to auto split 1km. I went by about 10 people in the first km including Interested. It seemed liek slow progress but all I had to do was look at how others were struggling. The splits...

1) 4:07
    2) 4:30
    3) 4:01
    4) 4:07
    5) 4:12

So at the turn around and not feeling too bad but I had not passed anyone sine the 2k mark and the next 4 guys really seemed out of reach, they seemed strong. Looking behind me there seemed to be really strong guys. Only one passed me on the way up, a relay runner. That was it. Nobody else came by me. I was running well. P Gibbo was not far behind but unlike in Rosses Point a month ago I knew I'd hold him off (in fact we ran the exact same 10k time :cool:) The rest...

6) 3:52
    7) 3:40
    8) 3:41
    9) 3:29
    10) 3:36

At around 8k all of a sudden the 4/5 lads ahead of me seemed to all be suffering. They were coming back to me and I was feeling stronger. I went for them and after Wed night one on one battle I knew I could do it. I did, I got by them all. However with 100m to go my right hamstring all of a sudden went into a knot. I would not hold off one of the guys over taking me again, I was worried about having to drop to the ground so I eased right up and got over the line.

Time 39:42; Dist 10.12km; HR 167; Pace 3:55/km; Cad 88; Split 35/696

Last year...

Time 40:07; Dist 10.1km; HR 160; Pace 4:02/km; Split 36/589

Finish 2:24:45; 39/696

Last year..

Finish 2:25:31; 16/5898

So my best HoTW time ever. My best HoTW swim ever. My best HoTW run ever. Happy? No. Well the big positive for me over the last 10 days and 4 races is how good my running is. The best I have ever been running it seems. It certainly has not been because I have up the volume or intensity or doing loads of speed work. I truly believe that finally my constant focus on form/tech while running (which can be head wrecking) is paying off. If I can continue this I am very keen to see what 2 or 3 build periods would bring to my running. I also believe that this improvement in form/tech is the reason that I have not seen an injury in over a year now

So I'm not happy. Well I kind of have to be as my prep this year has just been awful, it's actually amazing that I did as well as I did I suppose but it was irritating watching so many stream down the hill after they had turned at the top of it. I lost count after 25. Last year I only had to count to 15. I am so far off those guys in the top 20 now it is a little depressing to have lost so much ground.

My bike was desperate. As I said my worst since 2009. The standards are a rising. BIG TIME. Now it is time to get on the train or wave it goodbye. I cannot get on right now as I have a little matter of surgery to get over and my season is now pretty much over. 2 races, 3 max but I won't be racing.

So what now for me? Well I am looking to 2014 now and I am even more determined to make improvements. My recent improvements in swimming and running off just one build phase has given me belief in myself again. I still feel that there is loads of room for this in all disciplines. I believe I know how to take care of my body now, I am more robust for sure. I hope once my wisdom teeth are out that my health over all will improve and I won't get so my colds/flus. I'm not going to be fixated by numbers but in saying that... There is no reason why I could not get my FTP to over 300w (4.5% improvement) and TBH 310 (8%) by May 2014. There is no reason that I cannot get my 5k time to 17:30 by May 2014 and there is so reason why I cannot get my 400TT down to 5:50 by May. The only reason not to improve to those levels is if illness/injury prevents me and as I said I am very hopeful on that front.

So for the immediate future, get over the surgery and get back to some training, try and fit in 2/3 more races and be in good shape starting back in Oct. Actually that is important, I hope to be in the best shape possible for Oct so I hit the ground running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I was running well. P Gibbo was not far behind but unlike in Rosses Point a month ago I knew I'd hold him off (in fact we ran the exact same 10k time :cool:)

I love it calling him out for 2014 already :D

All the more reason now for me to be avoiding those sunday torture cycle sessions with him.

Hope the teeth come out nice and smoothly - I cant believe you can fit into that xl jacket, I know you are tall but I am swimming in it

Well done, ElD - and congratulations on all those PBs!! (I wonder, did you PB in either of the transitions?? ;)) You've so much potential about you, next year should be pretty fab for you and it will be so much fun to follow your progress upward. Enjoyed your report too!! :)

(I'm curious - with your spiffy running times, do you ever do any distance races? Half or full marathons?? Any interest??)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

My bike was desperate. As I said my worst since 2009. The standards are a rising. BIG TIME. Now it is time to get on the train or wave it goodbye. I cannot get on right now as I have a little matter of surgery to get over and my season is now pretty much over. 2 races, 3 max but I won't be racing.

Getting on the train is probably quite an apt way of improving your bike times if the reports of how much drafting went on are to be believed :mad: As usual very honest repor, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Great report El D, good to see you racing and enjoying it again even if you are hard on yourself. Great advice you gave me on Saturday about holding it back on the cycle on the way out too, thanks.

@catweazle haha...calling no one out at all except a better me :)

@DD Thank you DD, always love your positivity :) Let's not get carried away here though, my running times are middle of the road at best, but for once in my life I do feel that I have a solid enough base now to push on. I feel I could rattle off 45k+ weeks which is a big improvement for me. Longer stuff? Nah...not really that interested although I do want someday a sub 3hr marathon. 3 years ago I PB'd in A half marathon 1:32 I think but I think I have even beat that since during an LER. Next year I will be doing HIM's so that will mean longer stuff.

Actually I forgot the biggest PB.... that 10k time is a PB for me, first time sub 40! Well the last 10k (road race) I did was 5/6 years ago, 44min I think :)

@grif Haha...indeed, feck them though they can keep that particular train. No interest here in that :) Glad you liked the report :) Actually I'm just glad people still dip in here now and again :)

@couerdelion Thanks yourself dude, you are inspirational in your quest to improving yourself and the worthy cause you are currently training for.

I forgot earlier....

Things That Triathlon Has Taught Me

Work just as hard at the relationships that matter the most and anything causing stress in your life because not to...yes, underpins everything you do in training.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done El D. I KNEW I saw you out on that run. Shame I didn't catch you after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Great report. Love the attitude. Well done. Hard to top last year alright but no doubt the keen focus might yet do so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Very enjoyable read dude. Well done at the weekend. Get those tubs sorted ASAP.

Best of luck with the teeth and the upcoming holiday! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Great report ElD. You deserve a decent run at it over the winter, far too many interruptions of late (don't go getting married as well, its the biggest interruption of the lot :D ). No doubt you'll be back in that HOTW top 20 next year (and I have every intention of being there myself too).

Given my couple of head-to-heads with you I'm actually surprised by the numbers you're aiming for. 5:50 for a 400? I would have said this should be the minimum target for you given you were hammering me in swims last year. No reason you couldn't get a damn sight closer to 5:30 with a solid consistent winter of hard work. Likewise 4w/kg and 17:30 I would have seen as being minimum targets for you, no? Unless these are the minimum targets you're willing to publish, but have loftier goals in your head ;). I've never come close to beating you in a race so I know the level you could be at. I suspect you won't be entirely satisfied if these, and no better, are all you achieve in the next 10 months??

Oh, and I hope the op goes well. You in on Monday too? Where you going? I'll be in Lucan

@RQ yeah unfortunately this year I couldn't really stick around after. I hope you enjoyed the event :)

@shotgun thanks dude, I look forward to seeing your talented, hard working ass back in the game next year or perhaps this year yet.

@pgibbo thanks man and well done in Kilkee yourself

@BTH well it will certainly be great to see you back in action and how great would it be to be battling it out in Kilkee next year! We both are surely due a clear run at it :) Your observations are very valid. They are not the minimum targets. They are more the medium term goals. I have fallen short of the minimum targets before so there is no point in being lofty and disappointed. So, I like to have short, medium and long term goals. Short term goals for me this year are my goals up to christmas and they are:

1) 5k PB
    2) An improvement in my FTP
    3) a sub 6min 400TT

Then the medium term goals are as stated yesterday (goals up to May 2014). The thing with goals is that you got to understand that if you get ill or injured then forget about it. I understand that and I know it all to well but I have learned to deal with it, take the punch and roll as it were. However, I still feel it important to set goals because that that is measured is managed and improved and I find it great for motivation.

Monday, Lucan also! :) That's mad! I'm in at 7:30am, you??

Training

I did nothing Sun - Tues. Yesterday I just did 20min run and today 45min bike. Things are unstructured this week, I am just winding down a little before Monday. I was going to race this weekend again but I have decided to leave it and rest up over the weekend.

Recommended Listening...

Effortless Swimming Podcast, Thurs 28th March "...the One With Bobby McGee" - an excellent listen IMO. It can be got in audio form too on the iTunes store.

ThingsThat Triathlon Has Taught Me

A relaxed but focussed approach is best for training and racing.

Easy said but sometimes difficult to put into practice as life dictates how you feel and what occupies the space between your two ears :)

....The thing with goals is that you got to understand that if you get ill or injured then forget about it. I understand that and I know it all to well but I have learned to deal with it, take the punch and roll as it were.....

Agreed. However, provided you get a much better run this winter (not necessarily a perfect run) I do believe you will surpass your aims. Fingers crossed :D
    Monday, Lucan also! :) That's mad! I'm in at 7:30am, you??

Not checking in till 1pm, but I'll be there overnight. Its a rest day on the Tour so I'll not be missing out on much! I know when I got my wisdom teeth out it wasn't an overnighter, are you staying over?? ;)

BTH wrote: »
    Not checking in till 1pm, but I'll be there overnight. Its a rest day on the Tour so I'll not be missing out on much! I know when I got my wisdom teeth out it wasn't an overnighter, are you staying over?? ;)

Haha...no I don't think so. Whip all 4 out and then hopefully home by 3pm :)

Haha...no I don't think so. Whip all 4 out and then hopefully home by 3pm :)

Yeah, its a quick job alright, but you'll be a mess. My ma brought me home when I got mine out, she said it was like I was rotten drunk in the car on the way home. I slept most of the way home, drooling, and when I did wake up for a few seconds, I'd mutter something completely incomprehensible and fall back to sleep.

Actually, can we get a camera on you for the rest of the evening?? :D

• Advertisement

BTH wrote: »
    Yeah, its a quick job alright, but you'll be a mess. My ma brought me home when I got mine out, she said it was like I was rotten drunk in the car on the way home. I slept most of the way home, drooling, and when I did wake up for a few seconds, I'd mutter something completely incomprehensible and fall back to sleep.

Actually, can we get a camera on you for the rest of the evening?? :D

Haha...I just hope I don't say anything that will embarrass myself!

While I am in the recommending mood....

Recommended App...

Tour Tracker App, this is a great app (especially looks good on the iPad) for following the Tour especially if you are interested in power, HR, Cad etc... Just go to the Training Peaks section and there they analysis one rider per stage.

Advertisement