Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Triathlon Evolution Continues....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Pretty much for me, unless it's a timed effort I breathe bilaterally - 3, 3, 3....

When you swim for Interested its all timed efforts!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Interesting stuff. It seems to be very much personal pref. I am going to stick to bilat no matter what for a couple of weeks and see what happens. But as I said before, when racing I think I will always go every 2 but I would like to develop the 2-2-3-2-2 as I like the idea of it.

@BTH I was messing around yesterday in Leisureland and I tried a few tumbles...very funny to watch! I am going to keep trying though, I'll get it eventually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I was messing around yesterday in Leisureland and I tried a few tumbles...very funny to watch! I am going to keep trying though, I'll get it eventually :)

I reckon the only way I'll ever break 6mins for the 400 is by learning to tumble turn - a winter project :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

"Tumble turn".....this name you give to flip turns still brings a smile to my face. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

"Tumble turn".....this name you give to flip turns still brings a smile to my face. :)

You should see mine. They're called 'what the feck is she doing?' turns.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    You should see mine. They're called 'what the feck is she doing?' turns.

Sounds like they'd either make me laugh or cry. Or perhaps they'd make me laugh so hard I'd cry. ;)

Which makes me think of the great fun a video contest would be - to see who's tumble turns were the best/worst in various tumble turn categories. Categories could be decided, videos posted, and votes tallied. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Pretty much for me, unless it's a timed effort I breathe bilaterally - 3, 3, 3....

+1

3, 3, 3 for me until effort approaches sprint. Bi lat to develop a better roll too IMO

Count me in for the muffin tumble turn category and steer clear. One cannot be responsible for ones flailing limbs!

Sounds like they'd either make me laugh or cry. Or perhaps they'd make me laugh so hard I'd cry. ;)

Which makes me think of the great fun a video contest would be - to see who's tumble turns were the best/worst in various tumble turn categories. Categories could be decided, videos posted, and votes tallied. :D

Sounds like a great idea DD...I have been just waiting for an excuse to buy a GoPro Hero!

Okay. training...

I got hours done last week :rolleyes: Much, much better than nothing and a great way to easy back into it. I must remember that I am still recovering. Rough numbers:

Swim: 5k
    Bike: 100k
    Run: 20k

Saturday was a 2.5hr spin which saw me die a good bit in the last 30min.

Sunday a run around Salthill and Taylors Hill for 45min with a good mate, very pedestrian. I also had a dip in the lovely Galway Bay sans wetsuit for about 15min.

Monday, 30min run on the Prom with my new Mizuno Sayanara - thanks @amphibkingwest

Yesterday, a 1.5hr soin, Knocknacara-Spiddal-Moycullen-Knocknacara. Awful weather but really nice route with some climbing.

Now, off to the pool :)

Training updates are going to be like this for a while, on holidays. Back in Dublin today for Blur gig tomorrow and off to the North on Friday then for a few days. I'll still make time for this though...

Things Triathlon Has Taught Me...

Stretching and rolling are important for flexibility and subtleness and potentially preventing cramps in races if done regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

There should have been an OW swim there too but you're a bit soft :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    There should have been an OW swim there too but you're a bit soft :D

Haha...next time...sans wetsuit ;)

• Advertisement

Watching Missy Franklin winning the 200m free in the worlds today and she swims with a 4-4 breathing pattern. She must be pretty much anaerobic for the whole race.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Watching Missy Franklin winning the 200m free in the worlds today and she swims with a 4-4 breathing pattern. She must be pretty much anaerobic for the whole race.

If you've a thing for female American swimmers, then you need to be watching Katie Ledecky - distance's rising darling who breathes 2, 2, 2, 2...... Take note, boys, and learn. ;)

(the entire world record race at Worlds can be seen in two parts on YouTube....love the dramatic entrance they make....superstar....)

Sounds like a great idea DD...I have been just waiting for an excuse to buy a GoPro Hero!

SportsPursuit have GoPro on half price! ;)

Not sure what you were watching, this clearly shows a 2,2,2 pattern, but always looking in the cameras direction.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/swimming-american-franklin-wins-200-metres-freestyle-gold-164546209.html

If you've a thing for female American swimmers,

We all have a thing for female american swimmers ;)

BTH wrote: »
    Not sure what you were watching, this clearly shows a 2,2,2 pattern, but always looking in the cameras direction.

I'd say in Muffat's direction more than the camera. :D Pellegrini had a very strong finish

pgibbo wrote: »
    I'd say in Muffat's direction more than the camera. :D Pellegrini had a very strong finish

Agreed, but she nearly got caught out by not looking the other way. Pellegrini came through very strong.

That was my initial thought too. Another few metres as they say.......

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/swimming-american-franklin-wins-200-metres-freestyle-gold-164546209.html

She seems to change her pattern a lot - as you get further into the race she breathes more often (or am I looking at the wrong person:confused:)

We all like american elite female swimmers :)

She seems to change her pattern a lot - as you get further into the race she breathes more often (or am I looking at the wrong person:confused:)

We all like american elite female swimmers :)

It's not clear to me how she was breathing the first 100, but looks 2-2-2 in be second. Either way, what I'd be more interested in is how she breathes in training. We'll all default to gasping in a race.

And way to go bursting Dorys bubble.

It's not clear to me how she was breathing the first 100, but looks 2-2-2 in be second. Either way, what I'd be more interested in is how she breathes in training. We'll all default to gasping in a race.

And way to go bursting Dorys bubble.

I'd bet my life's savings that she breathes bilaterally in training. During a race it's all about what makes you the fastest through efficiency of technique.

And don't worry BTH, griffin's remarks were dooley noted. I guess that's one less gift I need to bring with me from the states. ;)

• Advertisement

My log has been busy...

I have been also watching carefully the swimming on Eurosport. Almost all the swimmers in 200m+ FS swims have been 2-2-2-2 etc... Mostly to the right too. So as I said before, I can never see myself not racing 2-2-2-2-2 but I will bilat breath during training as much as I can...see below :)

Weds 31st July

Swim
    Leisureland, Galway

A decent session. Very enjoyable actually. Fitness of course not great but form felt pretty good. The 15x100 alt sw/p came in between 1:38-1:49 with pull coming in slightly faster which happens when I'm rusty but always improves. My fast 50's off 60 were...well...not fast :o

Dist 2,600m

Thurs 1st Aug

Run
    LER

I found this tough this morning. My longest run in the last 7 weeks was a 45min run on Sunday last. So it was no wonder I struggled. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy it despite being p1ssed down on and getting soaked through :)

Time 1:15; Dist 15.23km; Pace 4:55/km; AHR 155;

What Triathlon Has Taught Me...

Core Strength IS important!

I'd bet my life's savings that she breathes bilaterally in training. During a race it's all about what makes you the fastest through efficiency of technique.

And don't worry BTH, griffin's remarks were dooley noted. I guess that's one less gift I need to bring with me from the states. ;)

I consider you an elite swimmer Dory ;)

Smooth..... ;)

Smooth..... ;)

Hmmm....you Irish lads sure know how to work it!! ;)

Okay, where to begin? Well I'm back, in body anyway. I've had an epic month. As soon as I decided to get the wisdom teeth out mid summer I knew that the rest of the season was pretty much over. Why? Well I had a two week holiday with Linda which was between Galway Arts Fest and Race Week and then the North of Ireland. We both agreed it was the best holiday we have ever had. We did and saw so much and the weather was pretty good for the most part.

Then I had a 10 day all expenses paid holiday with the lads. So that was 3.5 weeks gone, plus another 3 for the wisdom tooth and the infection that followed. 6.5 weeks = season over. So there was only one thing to do...enjoy myself and that I did. I embraced the time away and loved life I must say. I cherished the time with Linda and indeed her sister and boyfriend and also the time with mates that I rarely see as I make my excuses weekend after weekend. I am in a position now to do these things but that won't last. No regrets - my motto. There was no point in sulking about a season that just never happened. In saying that there were positives and it did become clearer to me what I need to do to be a challenger for top 10 NS races once again. More on that in the following weeks.

I was not going to say anything here about my secret mystery trip as it may seem like I am rubbing it in but a lot of people are asking and are curious so I will summarise:

Met a guy in college
    He was mental
    He really did not fit in the education system
    He fitted in the party scene just fine :)
    He always wanted his own company
    He always said he would make a million and when he did he would have an epic party for his mates
    He worked like a demon
    He continued to party like a demon too
    He lived for 6 years in his van
    He went into toy distribution
    He went bust
    He got going again
    This time smarter
    And in America too
    This is his
    You see them Everywhere these days
    No 1 christmas toy in the states last christmas - was on all the chat shows
    Company to clear 15million in profit this year
    He came good on his promise
    E mailed us back in March
    The trip - 10 days, we were in the dark about much of it
    Chile, 3 days snowboarding
    Costa Rica, 7 hour flight, private jet, the maddest party I have ever been at
    Did some Canyoning, Zipp Lining both in the rainforest and white water rafting
    Miami, 2 hr flight via private jet
    2 day counter terrorism course - it was awful in the 36 degree, 100% humidity, everglades but we did get real guns with real bullets including a SAW machine gun, an Uzi and automatic glock
    Last night in Miami included a massive party in a hotel on South Beach - we had the pool house, then VIP sh1t in one of the top clubs in South Beach.
    Sore heads returning to Dublin

So a crazy month and finding it difficult to get into routine. Back to school tomorrow so that should help things. Some training did occur but damn all.

In other news...Trinity (TT bike) is sold. A great bike, great value but it never suited my body type. Now I am on the look out for my dream bike, I have one shot at this so I need to get it right . The Cervelo P5 Six is the one I have my heart set on now but there is unreal value at the moment on S-Work Shiv in B2R. So....big decision to be made. That decision is completely irrelevant though unless I get back to it.

I start a two week transition period on Monday next week and then winter training starts on Sept 9th, moved forward a month. In those two weeks I will do a season review and a look towards 2014 and goals and processes goals i.e. how I will attain those goals.

Welcome back ElD. You have just confirmed what I've always thought. All my college mates are losers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Wow! I want a friend like that :eek:

Damn.

Oh, and welcome back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

That is awesome El D!!

• Advertisement

,,but not much really :(

Monday 26th Aug

Swim

Not easy getting back into it. At least now I know and realise it will take about 10 weeks of consistent swimming before I get near my swim times of June or last year even. So I'm not going to panic, it takes time and patience. I had 10x100m off 2min and they started at 1:44-46 but ended up very close to the 2min mark.

With swimming I have always found that the only way to get out of a slump or the only way to improve is to just keep at it consistently.

Run

Felt horrible but I of course knew this would be the case. It's a start. 30min.

Tues 27th Aug

Bike

This was tough! Not sure if I am ready yet for these type of sessions! Some big gear work zapped the legs! I got through it though and I know once back in the swing of things these are the type of sessions I love. Legs were weak after.

Weds 28th Aug

Swim

Oh god...oh god...oh god! Luckily I said in my last post that I won't be panicing...

6x100 steady...1:56-2:03!! That will come back down quickly with consistency I know. I didn't feel bad actually as I knew it would be like this for a while. Patience.

Run

Didn't get done. I was wiped after school and crashed on the couch. Very unlike me. I think being back working full days again (I know shorter than most but still tiresome when you start back!) and then a full training schedule just took its toll. Feel guilty but I know I shouldn't.

Thurs 29th Aug

Bike

Well myself and the coach decided that two weeks or so of unstructured training is what I need. I feel so relieved after this was decided, like a weight was lifted off. Work is a bit mad this time of year and I am preparing to go back to college too so this is a welcome development. I will be ready and rearing to go in 14 days time or so for the winter, first I need just to get doing some exercise so this gives me that time.

So on that I took the bike out for a lovely easy 45min spin on a lovely warm evening :)

Looking forward to tomorrow and not dreading it! A swim and maybe some bikram yoga! I bought 6 sessions at 60% off or something on Living Social during the summer and unless I do one of them tomorrow the offer expires! The location is great, 5 min from my place. Did these before and found them great but waaay too expensive.

Advertisement