Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Triathlon Evolution Continues....

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Are you in prep season already damn it??? !

Nice head start sir! Keep it up!

I sympathise with you on the 50m pool thing!
    A couple recent trips to NAC lately saw me look at some 100 splits and see a few seconds drop off, despite feeling faster and certainly more enjoyable.

Now makes me appreciate the flip and kick off the 25m wall more so these days!! (when I get it right that is...) :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Fazz wrote: »
    Are you in prep season already damn it??? !

Nice head start sir! Keep it up!

I sympathise with you on the 50m pool thing!
    A couple recent trips to NAC lately saw me look at some 100 splits and see a few seconds drop off, despite feeling faster and certainly more enjoyable.

Now makes me appreciate the flip and kick off the 25m wall more so these days!! (when I get it right that is...) :o:D

Yip, a couple of prep and transition weeks and then into winter training proper. I don't think you've anything to worry about Fazz after your season (and my non season!!)

Yeah the 50m pool takes getting used of but I love it now and will miss it when I move back west some day. It will take me a while to get back up to speed again but time I have in fairness. I love when I get into a 25m pool, I feel super fast!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I've been back swimming about 4 weeks now and I'm still ignoring the clock and enjoying it. Can't be worrying or even thinking about times when you've been out so long. Still haven't managed a half decent flip turn but breathing to the left is improving. :D

Fancy an easy 3 hour spin Saturday?? Or are you off down the sticks

BTH wrote: »
    I've been back swimming about 4 weeks now and I'm still ignoring the clock and enjoying it. Can't be worrying or even thinking about times when you've been out so long. Still haven't managed a half decent flip turn but breathing to the left is improving. :D

Fancy an easy 3 hour spin Saturday?? Or are you off down the sticks

Cheers. That could work actually but I might only manage 2-2.5hrs. I'll be onto you tomorrow dude.

I have been practicing the bilat and breathing to the left too and it's defo coming on. Ideal time to practice tumble turns so thats on the menu tomorrow now too :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I have been also watching carefully the swimming on Eurosport. Almost all the swimmers in 200m+ FS swims have been 2-2-2-2 etc... Mostly to the right too. So as I said before, I can never see myself not racing 2-2-2-2-2 but I will bilat breath during training as much as I can...see below :)

Sorry to jump in on this El D, one of the big things with breathing is the pattern and I remember reading somewhere about a pattern that is better at endurance distances as you are less hypoxic but also keeping the head in the water more thus reducing drag.

I've it done on a spreadsheet to show the pattern.

Basically its a combination of bilateral and unilateral which works well in both training and racing.

Some of the elite women were using this pattern I noticed.

• Advertisement

Sorry to jump in on this El D, one of the big things with breathing is the pattern and I remember reading somewhere about a pattern that is better at endurance distances as you are less hypoxic but also keeping the head in the water more thus reducing drag.

I've it done on a spreadsheet to show the pattern.

Basically its a combination of bilateral and unilateral which works well in both training and racing.

Some of the elite women were using this pattern I noticed.

Ah, the famous L-L-R-R-L-L pattern.

Ah, the famous L-L-R-R-L-L pattern.

Could have saved me all that typing! :rolleyes:

Could have saved me all that typing! :rolleyes:

Haha... yes or the 2-2-3-2-2-3-2-2-3 pattern. Which I have also been using and is fast becoming my preferred training option. Not sure about racing and will have to wait until next April/May now to find out. I race by whichever breathing pattern comes naturally and feels best.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

sorry if this is taking your race report off track, but what are the thoughts on different race versus training patterns? i find in training i tend to a 4 stroke pattern, or 3, but come race day it always tnds to be a 2 stroke pattern. will be going out easier tomorrow for boru oly so will be interesting to see if i stick to the 2.

mossym wrote: »
    sorry if this is taking your race report off track, but what are the thoughts on different race versus training patterns? i find in training i tend to a 4 stroke pattern, or 3, but come race day it always tnds to be a 2 stroke pattern. will be going out easier tomorrow for boru oly so will be interesting to see if i stick to the 2.

Well it is very common for age groupers and pro's alike to have a different breathing pattern in races. It is highly recommended for athletes to train bilaterally or at least balance out the breathing i.e bilat or every 2nd stroke breathe to the right then you should do an equal amount of every second breathing to the left. This ensures a balanced stroke, prevents developing one side too much which would lead to a muscle imbalance and could therefore lead to injuries.

When it comes to races IMO you should just breathe whatever way you feel like, whatever keeps the heart rate under control. For me this has usually meant every second stroke to the right, for many, especially pro's this means s to the right then 3 strokes and 2 to the left...repeat.

Hope that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Welcome back. Any update on the new bike?

What are you going to be studying in College? Looks like a busy year ahead. Best of luck with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Hope that makes sense.

cheers for that, it does. i was a one way breather until this summer, can bilaterally breathe pretty comfortably in training now, but as soon as i hit the water for a race it's back to a 2 stroke one side.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Welcome back. Any update on the new bike?

What are you going to be studying in College? Looks like a busy year ahead. Best of luck with it.

There has been a development on the bike front but that is all I am saying for now :):cool:

The course is on Learning Support and Special Ed Needs, yeah a busy year alright but busy can be good and make one more productive. Looking forward to the challenge.

Right off to bikram now and DREADING it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

The course is on Learning Support and Special Ed Needs, yeah a busy year alright but busy can be good and make one more productive. Looking forward to the challenge.

The mrs did that a few years ago herself ;)

Arise Principal El Director

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Haha... yes or the 2-2-3-2-2-3-2-2-3 pattern. Which I have also been using and is fast becoming my preferred training option. Not sure about racing and will have to wait until next April/May now to find out. I race by whichever breathing pattern comes naturally and feels best.

I first came across this about two years ago in a video by Gary Hall Snr. It made alot of sense to me and I used it alot last year. This year I ended up back breathing every two to whatever side as bilateral is not problem for me. Its only in the last month or two that I have gone back to 2-2-3-2-2-3-2-2-3 when training as it feels more balanced. However I think the bi-lat on 3 is better overall as like AKW said it keeps the head in the water longer, it just feels like the stroke if not broken up as much.

ray o wrote: »
    ... 2-2-3-2-2-3-2-2-3 ....
    ....2-2-3-2-2-3-2-2-3 ....

Am I missing something or is this description incorrect. Are we not talking about a 2-3-2-3-2-3 pattern? AmpKW suggests this in his spreadsheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Am I missing something or is this description incorrect. Are we not talking about a 2-3-2-3-2-3 pattern? AmpKW suggests this in his spreadsheet.

Cue some Stevie Wonder head movements to figure this out. Your correct BTH, I just assumed ElD had it right. Never take what a teacher says as gospel!

Thats funny, cos I was going off BTH's L-L-R-R-L-L-R-R description and didn't open the the spreadsheet till now! I actually did make a mistake there but I couldn't be arsed getting into it now :)

Fri 30th Aug

Bikram

I haven't done this in 2 years and found it tough! Saw stars once or twice, felt a bit faint but I just sat out a pose or two and I was fine. Felt great after :)

Sat 31st Sept

Bike
    Long easy spin with coffee break :)

A very enjoyable spin with BTH and a good mate of mine. We had a stiff enough breeze all the way to Summerhill and a gradual climb nearly all the way too (30k) There after it was handy with the wind at our backs. A nice coffee break in Kilcock at a cafe I always pass as I watch the lazy Pulse gang having their coffee ;)

Sat 31st Sept

Bike
    Long easy spin with coffee break :)

:rolleyes:

Cheers for the company

A quick update. The last 2.5 weeks have been unstructured and unproductive but enjoyable. I miss being fit though and can't wait to start into winter training. That will start on Monday and it will tough going just to get into the routine again but it is time now. Although fitness is on the floor I know 3/4 weeks of consistency can change a lot. Swimming is the discipline I am least looking forward to as I have let it slip badly.

As for this log, well I won't be posting here for a long time. I have had a log on here since 2010 and I really enjoyed it but I feel now that I am not doing myself justice nor am I adding any value to the site so I am taking a break from logging. This year has been stressful and has taken it's toll mentally. Confidence is on the floor TBH and when you are doing an individual sport you only really have yourself to get through it because really, at the end of the day, nobody really cares if you swim this or run that or bike x watts. Only you. And thats cool. People are busy minding their own backs, making sure that they and/or their families can get by.

I also feel hypocritical, giving my "What Tri Has Thought Me" lark! The best leaders in the world lead by example and this has always been my belief and it has been always what I have done in the past. There are enough out there in the world preaching one thing and doing the opposite themselves without me adding to it.

I just want to get back into a good place now so I will go away and do that. Hopefully then I will feel like logging here again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck with the winter training El D. I have to admire your honesty. Fair play. Go find that mojo and set yourself up for a successful 2014

I admire your honesty El D, not an easy habit to break, but if your motivational log is distracting you from being motivated then time to change the mindset.

Always remember that you have another 'family' that go through some of the same stuff occasionally, so we got your back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

pgibbo wrote: »
    Best of luck with the winter training El D.

This will hurt you Gibbo - I know you will be having his training schedule up on the wall in that shed of yours - knowledge is king!

El D I think you are still have the heebie Jeebies from that jaunt you took - it will be xmas before you are back to normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I will miss reading your log as it always had a positive spin and a silver lining no matter how low you felt....and I had a habit of counting your smiley faces and grins to gauge where you "were" at that moment. Best to you and your winter training, El D. Perhaps our paths will cross some time when I'm over in Ireland as I know if you are as much class in person as you are on your log, then I would very much enjoy meeting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Sad to hear you won't be posting anymore. Your log is one of my favourite on here. As dory said your positive spin and attitude have been a pleasure to read and I for one took a lot from your ' what triathlon has taught me' segments.

Best of luck with your future training.

Advertisement