Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Ireland - prepay sim for data only needed

Options
  • 08-04-2013 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all.

New member here, always thought I'd come and ask here when I needed help with this. Great forum, especially the regional sections :)

Myself and my family are visiting extended family in Ireland in the summer. We visit fairly often and my relatives have wi-fi so no problems there. The problems happen when we head south to a holiday home where there is no wi-fi.. I always end up paying silly money for roaming charges for the 'net from Tesco In the UK.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me find a pre-pay SIM card I can use in an unlocked MiFi unit I have? I'd ideally be looking to load it with say €20 and hopefully get about a Gb of data. Is anything like this available?
    I did have a quick mooch about the O2 and Voda sites but all I could see was talk of 50mb daily and then €1 per mb after that on prepay.

TIA for any pointers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

€20 top up on a 3 Ireland will get you unlimited data.

http://www.three.ie/products_services/priceplans/prepay/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Oh and tethering is against 3s T&Cs but it's not enforced so if they ask just say you are putting it in your phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Breakfast Bob

Perfecto! Thanks so much.
    I feel lazier than I did before for not finding that, much appreciated.

Now I just have to work out how to get iPlayer working on the kids' iPads outside of the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Is Three coverage all over as good as 02? I heard its not great around Carlow area from a friend who has changed to 02 and finds it more reliable. But I don't think their deal would be as good as Threes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭wandererz

3 data plans are valid through both the UK and Ireland.
    So if you buy credit in Ireland you can use it in the UK and vice versa.

I use this on my mifi modem when travelling to UK.

so you could get a sim card and top up in UK before you leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

wandererz wrote: »
    3 data plans are valid through both the UK and Ireland.
    So if you buy credit in Ireland you can use it in the UK and vice versa.

I use this on my mifi modem when travelling to UK.

so you could get a sim card and top up in UK before you leave.

3UK don't have 3 like home so it wouldn't be free for if a person from the UK was using their sim down here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Now I just have to work out how to get iPlayer working on the kids' iPads outside of the UK!

Tunnelbear should do the trick I think.

Tesco prices seem good. They use the 02 network as their carrier which is good coverage around the country. I'm currently on 02 but am changing to Tesco once my current credit runs out on 02. Might be worth having a look.

http://shop.tescomobile.ie/SIM-only-plans.aspx

Tesco prices seem good. They use the 02 network as their carrier which is good coverage around the country. I'm currently on 02 but am changing to Tesco once my current credit runs out on 02. Might be worth having a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

maringo wrote: »

Have you read the thread? The OP is looking for data only

• Advertisement

toby2111 wrote: »
    Tunnelbear should do the trick I think.

Thanks, installed. Looks great, hope it works!

I'm on Tesco over here, they piggyback O2’s network. Down in Fethard where we stay the signal is dreadful to none. Three coud surely only be better!

Not too concerned about data in the UK with it, but nice to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Walkman wrote: »
    Have you read the thread? The OP is looking for data only

It's the same kinda thing, 3 plan includes Texts and Calls also, a little sharp there, IMO.

BTW, Tesco Ireland have no probs with tethering, it is explicitly allowed.

3 no likee!!
    Tethering on your mobile
    Connecting your phone to other devices so that they can access the internet is called tethering.

Bill Pay
    Under our Bill Pay terms & conditions, customers who activated or upgraded to one of our Flex- Max price plans on or after 1st January, 2012 are not permitted to tether

Prepay
    Tethering is not a feature of your prepay plan, and under our Prepay terms & conditions, is not permitted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Three no likey, but Three don't mindey.
    You essentially get away with it, if you're not on a standard, out-of-the-box Three handset.

OP, you've a few options. Buying a SIM here is far easier and cheaper than buying one of those roaming SIMs. Also, what country are you coming from? There may be more suitable solutions for you. PM if you need more advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Thanks, installed. Looks great, hope it works!

I'm on Tesco over here, they piggyback O2’s network. Down in Fethard where we stay the signal is dreadful to none. Three coud surely only be better!

Not too concerned about data in the UK with it, but nice to know.

Don't forget to tweet if you are on the TunnelBear free plan, they give you an extra 1GB bonus for the month, and they do, I got it.

Don't forget to tweet if you are on the TunnelBear free plan, they give you an extra 1GB bonus for the month, and they do, I got it.
    Lovely bit of info there, thanks. I wouldn't have minded flirting them a couple quid, and might still do - but we all like free don't we. :)
    Three no likey, but Three don't mindey.
    You essentially get away with it, if you're not on a standard, out-of-the-box Three handset.

OP, you've a few options. Buying a SIM here is far easier and cheaper than buying one of those roaming SIMs. Also, what country are you coming from? There may be more suitable solutions for you. PM if you need more advice.
    Thanks mate. We're coming from England visiting family in Kilkenny and then off down to Wexford where we'll need the SIM. We'll be around for about a week before we head down to Wexford so plenty of time to pick one up.

What a great bunch of people there are here. :)

Evening all.

Just thought I'd drop in to update and say thanks again. Currently down in Wexford and all devices are connected (3G) via MiFi and a €20 Three 'all you can eat data' sim.
    Probably won't bother with the streaming services at this speed - it's just nice to be able to browse.

Cheers!

Advertisement