Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula shortage

Options
  • 08-04-2013 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if it will be a problem in Ireland as we are such a large producer of it but there is currently a formula shortage due to Chinese demand and UK retailers are 'rationing' it. While obviously it's not a good idea to start a run on it, as that will increase the likelihood of supply issues, it might be a good idea for people who are dependent on formula to look into the supply here so they don't have problems.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22066243

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Just seen this on Sky News, no harm to have an extra couple of tins in reserve just in case.
    I dowth very much it would effect Ireland but if Tesco didn't deliver to us for a week or so the shelf's would be bare fairly quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

As I understand it, there's not a shortage in the UK per se but sales of it in supermarkets are being rationed because people were bulk buying in order to export it to China.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This has already come in, 2 per customer per transaction.

Many consignments of milk have been sent from Ireland to China in the past year.

The bulk buying seemed to start about a year ago, when the 1+ and 2+ is on offer, it flies off the shelves.

I can't understand why Aptamil etc can't just export to China?

(I'd nearly believe that the suppliers are sending their stock out of the country, as it sells for more, and thats what is causing the shortage here. But that is just the conspiracy theory person in me!)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    This has already come in, 2 per customer per transaction.

Many consignments of milk have been sent from Ireland to China in the past year.

The bulk buying seemed to start about a year ago, when the 1+ and 2+ is on offer, it flies off the shelves.

I can't understand why Aptamil etc can't just export to China?

Trade laws with China are always ropey.

This coupled with the horrific tainted baby-milk scandal in China a few years ago, means that US and Euro regulated formulas are in demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I can understand why people in China want the milk sent to them so badly. Images of the babies affected by the tainted milk a few years back just broke my heart :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

With the reports of people buying up baby food to sell to china would it be a good idea to stock up incase of shortage here ?
    I currently pay about €13 in trim for the aptamil 900g powdered first milk is there anywhere in Dublin offering better value ?
    If my wife wants to get 10-15 boxes it will make a difference.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Big Davey, I've moved your post into the recent discussion on formula shortages.

January wrote: »
    Big Davey, I've moved your post into the recent discussion on formula shortages.
    Thank you I missed that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Big Davey wrote: »
    With the reports of people buying up baby food to sell to china would it be a good idea to stock up incase of shortage here ?
    I currently pay about €13 in trim for the aptamil 900g powdered first milk is there anywhere in Dublin offering better value ?
    If my wife wants to get 10-15 boxes it will make a difference.
    Thanks

I think €12.19 is the standard price in all the supermarkets here. I haven't seen any cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

But if everyone goes out buying 10-15 boxes/tins now surely that will cause a shortage anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I think the price isn't allowed to go on special offer for formula for babies under six months as you're not allowed to promote formula, in an effort to increase breastfeeding rates. I know some people have gotten special offers, but they aren't usually well advertised in advance. We've paid about 12.15 for a tin of Aptimal since baby was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭odddavey

lazygal wrote: »
    I think the price isn't allowed to go on special offer for formula for babies under six months as you're not allowed to promote formula, in an effort to increase breastfeeding rates. I know some people have gotten special offers, but they aren't usually well advertised in advance. We've paid about 12.15 for a tin of Aptimal since baby was born.

Cheapest I've seen it is in Sam McAuley chemists @11.49
    Think its free delivery when you spend 50€
    http://www.sammccauley.com/Product/Aptamil-First-Infant-Milk-900g/17313/2230.5

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

I just took delivery of 15 tubs of Aptamil Comfort from Superquinn - that'll cover us up until she starts cows milk in September. Sorted!

Quick update ! My wife tried to buy 4 cartons of baby formula in dunnes in blanchardstown yesterday and was told she could only buy 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Have a read if this article there is some info in it about the supposed shortage with a statement from the dept. of health UK http://info.babymilkaction.org/pressrelease/pressrelease25apr13
    This link also explain the details of the 'shortage'
    http://info.babymilkaction.org/pressrelease/pressrelease09apr13

Advertisement