Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Handed in Notice and then found out I was Pregant

• 08-04-2013 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭

I am a little freaked out at the moment and could really do with some advice!

Last week - I got offered a teaching course in September that I had been hoping to take.I handed in my notice in work - was going to be giving them ample notice that I was leaving and I was hoping to pick up something part-time come June ish that I could mind all Summer and would keep me going when I went back to college. Then less than a week after handing in my notice - I find out Im pregnant. Seriously this scenario could only happen to me!!!

Dont get me wrong - I am now (after the initial shock) delighted that I am expecting but I am so freaked out about my finances. I feel I am caught between a rock and a hard place. Am I right in thinking I wont be in work long enough to be eligible for maternity benefit and because I voluntarily gave up my job it would be 9 weeks before I could sign on?

I have started obsessively looking for a new job now but to be honest - its an awkward situation as I dont like being deceitful about being pregnant but even if I was happy to conceal this for the time being - I would need to find something soon or come June - Ill be showing and there will be no concealing anything!

Do you think there is any way that social welfare would waive the 9 weeks to sign on if I explained the situation - showed them proof I was offered the course and explained the pregnancy was unknown to me when I handed in my notice?Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know absolutely nothing about benefits. Ive been on the dole once for about 2 months going back 3 or 4 years and thats the extent of my knowledge so if anyone has been in the same boat and could steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I really want to be excited as this will be my first baby but this is really clouding things.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Congats!!

Could you cancel your notice? Just a thought.

The social Welfare have overlooked the 9 week wait in some cases, you would have to make your case and hope for the best. If you have been working up until now you will probably be looking for JSB, this should take less time to come through so you will know sooner if you are going to get a payment.

Apply for jobs anyway, the DSP will look for proof but may adopt the view that your chances are slim if you are pregnant.

Maternity benefit is higher than JSB (€262 V €188, if you were working full time) so if you were working you would be in a better position. Also JSB will run out after 9 months so, you could fine yourself being means tested just as you are due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Congats!!

Could you cancel your notice? Just a thought.

The social Welfare have overlooked the 9 week wait in some cases, you would have to make your case and hope for the best. If you have been working up until now you will probably be looking for JSB, this should take less time to come through so you will know sooner if you are going to get a payment.

Apply for jobs anyway, the DSP will look for proof but may adopt the view that your chances are slim if you are pregnant.

Maternity benefit is higher than JSB (€262 V €188, if you were working full time) so if you were working you would be in a better position. Also JSB will run out after 9 months so, you could fine yourself being means tested just as you are due.

Thanks for the advice. I cant cancel my notice im afraid but i may be able to extend my notice period. On the sw website it says that you are eligible for mat benefit if you are working up to the 1st day of your leave which can be 16 weeks before the due date. Theoretically if i stayed until this date - would i be eligible? Even if i wasnt takibg leave but actually leaving on this date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

closifer wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I cant cancel my notice im afraid but i may be able to extend my notice period. On the sw website it says that you are eligible for mat benefit if you are working up to the 1st day of your leave which can be 16 weeks before the due date. Theoretically if i stayed until this date - would i be eligible? Even if i wasnt takibg leave but actually leaving on this date?

would your employer allow you to extend ? - knowing they would have to pay maternity benefit to you ! (or would you shield the fact you were pregnant)

Corkbah wrote: »
    would your employer allow you to extend ? - knowing they would have to pay maternity benefit to you ! (or would you shield the fact you were pregnant)

My employers dont pay mat leave...i meant if i stay to that point i wud b entitled to state mat benefit based on my prsi contributions

If you can extend your notice period, then do so. How were you going to finance yourself through college? Could you still go? You wouldn't be the first pregnant/mother to attend college. Some colleges have family type accommodation and creches. Don't just go down the Welfare path. Look at the bigger picture. Good Luck.

• Advertisement

If you can extend your notice period, then do so. How were you going to finance yourself through college? Could you still go? You wouldn't be the first pregnant/mother to attend college. Some colleges have family type accommodation and creches. Don't just go down the Welfare path. Look at the bigger picture. Good Luck.

I have a degree and an M.A...im not just going down a welfare path!! I was hoping to go back and gain a teaching qualification but that wudnt b doable nxt year now as it involved tp, fees and relocation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

you handed in your notice when you were pregnant, you did not know so just take the notice back and explain it as a pregnant brain fog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would extend your notice.

Download the maternity leave application.

The doctor will sign it after 16 weeks and you can go on maternity leave then.

Ring the maternity section and make sure your PRSI record is OK and that you would qualify for maternity leave based on 2012's contributions.

You can get a statement of these here:

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/RequestSIContributionRecord.aspx

Ask for a meeting in work and ask will they sign your form.

The costs to them are 2 weeks holiday pay and ~4 bank holidays that you would be entitled to. Even if leave after your mat leave, you would be entitled to these.

I'm sure just having maternity leave would be more attractive to you than these ~3 weeks wages.

Without breaking the forum charter here, maybe an agreement could be made where both sides are happy.

After your maternity leave you would be able to claim illness if you were medically not able to work. And then JSB / JSA.

PM, if I you need to know anything else. Best of luck!

Advertisement