Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy dry yeast??

Options
  • 08-04-2013 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hello,

I want to make my own pizza but cant seem to find dry yeast to make the dough. I have tried my local tesco and they don't sell it any more for some reason. Anyone bought some recently? Maybe a stupid question but is there anything else I can use instead if I cant find it?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

I got the little packets in superquinn on saturday.

And i got a little jar of it in supervalu about a month ago but that says it has to be used within three weeks of opening and so it wasn't ideal for me cause i don't bake that much. The sachets are perfect for pizza dough. Think the brand is mcdougals from superquinn.

Has tesco really stopped doing it? They have their own brand stuff usually, i only got it a short while ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭eevyhayes

Ye I asked in the shop and she said they got rid of it which i thought was ridiculous and its a big tesco aswel where u can usually get everything. I'll have a look in superquinn then and see! thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I get this one in Dunnes, and have seen it in Supervalu too, its around €4 a box I think, lasts ages though, well depends how often you use it, I don't use it often.

McDougalls-Fast-Action-Bread-Yeast-600.jpg

my tesco still has it in the flour section. can't see why they would get rid of it. Its a longlife product and sells well. If you really want it back, write to tescocomments.com. A copy goes to headoffice and the store and will nearly always result in them bringing it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

eevyhayes wrote: »
    Ye I asked in the shop and she said they got rid of it which i thought was ridiculous and its a big tesco aswel where u can usually get everything.

Having worked in Tesco fadó that answer smacks of 'I don't know where it's gone & I'm pretty sure no one I ask will know either' or 'I don't actually know what that is or where it should be', seems really very unlikely that they don't stock it anymore. I got dried yeast in my last Tesco delivery (in Dublin 8, not sure which exact Tesco it came from). As mentioned already you'll definitely get it in most supermarkets & Polish shops are great for it too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I got some in Tesco recently but they'd replaced the McDougall's version shown above with their 'own brand' which just seemed to be a repackaged version of the McDougall's one. The box is green and was in the exact same place as the old brand was.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

On the subject of yeast - the sachets of yeast are close to €4 for 56g. I buy tins of VIVA Pizza yeast of 500g for €6. I buy them wholesale from a company called K&C Norton in Dublin but I am pretty sure they also have a retail outlet called Little Italy. One way or the other the mark up on yeast sachets is horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Thud

ask for cake yeast behind the bakery counter in superquinn, €2 for a lump that will last ages.
    break it up into marble size pieces and put it into a lunchbox in freezer. let it melt at room temp before using it out of the freezer. Might get slightly less active over time so you might need to use a bit more, my current batch is 6mths old and working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

donalh087 wrote: »
    On the subject of yeast - the sachets of yeast are close to €4 for 56g. I buy tins of VIVA Pizza yeast of 500g for €6. I buy them wholesale from a company called K&C Norton in Dublin but I am pretty sure they also have a retail outlet called Little Italy. One way or the other the mark up on yeast sachets is horrendous.

True. I bought a packet of Doves yeast for the first time last week ( in Tesco) and it was 1/5 of the price of the Tesco own-brand yeast in sachets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I bought instant yeast in sachets in Tesco a few weeks ago (Tesco own brand) Each sachet contains approx 5-6 teaspoons of yeast and 1 teaspoon does the job for about 3 pizzas for the recipe I use

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4683/pizza-margherita-in-4-easy-steps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Having worked in Tesco fadó that answer smacks of 'I don't know where it's gone & I'm pretty sure no one I ask will know either'
    +1. If I want something unusual there are only a few workers in tesco I would bother asking, in my local one there are 2-3 women in their 50's who know everything!
    On the subject of yeast - the sachets of yeast are close to €4 for 56g. I buy tins of VIVA Pizza yeast of 500g for €6.
    I have seen bulk packs in asian shops too. Tesco used only stock the branded one a while ago. I think it was cheaper to buy their pizza base mix which has the yeast already in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

I bought the tesco own brand one in naas Monday just gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

For some reason, I thought yeast was illegal in Ireland ... maybe I imagined that. :o

I'm on the hunt today for yeast to make Italian bread - will update later as to how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Tlachtga wrote: »
    For some reason, I thought yeast was illegal in Ireland ... maybe I imagined that. :o

I'm on the hunt today for yeast to make Italian bread - will update later as to how I get on.

Why, in Gods name, would yeast be illegal?

Apart from being available in just about every supermarket in the country, simply mix 100g flour with 100ml water, throw in 5 or 6 chopped grapes and you will have the most perfect bubbling jar of yeasty starter in about 3 days.

Now, THATS the way to make Italian bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Apart from being available in just about every supermarket in the country, simply mix 100g flour with 100ml water, throw in 5 or 6 chopped grapes and you will have the most perfect bubbling jar of yeasty starter in about 3 days.

Now, THATS the way to make Italian bread.

someones been watching Paul Hollywood this week!

I saw a large pot of dried yeast in Little Italy on Saturday, but my basic italian allowed me to see that it only lasts for a short period? I find the sachets ok, its the temperature of the kitchen thats the problem.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I asked my mam. Apparently, back in the day, they considered making it illegal because of poitin and the like.

Then she gave me an intensive grilling on why I was asking, and whether I was considering making poitin.

:o

Advertisement