Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Language Course - French

Options
  • 08-04-2013 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I was thinking of going to an ELC in french this summer to brush up for my leaving cert! I only have two concerns!!

First, none of my friends are doing it (money is tight) and i'm wondering if many go without friends on their own??? Would i be put in rooms with other people going alone??

Second, which college would focus a lot on the learning rather than activities?? I heard St. Mary's in Galway is good but apparently there was too many people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

I went to an ELC a few years ago, it was St. Flannan's in Ennis. A lot of people went with friends, but there were peolpe on their own too. To be honest though, a lot of people who went with their friends didn't even ask to be put in a room with their friends, as it's very tempting to speak English then and also they wanted to get to know new people. You'll make lots of new friends anyway, everyone is very nice, so try not to worrry too much.
    As far as the learning vs. activities is concerned, I think they all preety much follow the same programme, so there wouldn't be any one college that would focus more on learning than the others. When I was there, we did around 3 hours of classes in the mornings and then activities for the rest of the day. Also I found I learned more French just by talking to the others there than I actually learned in the classoroom, as you really brush up on your fluency just by practicing the French you already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GeminiChaos

dcam wrote: »
    I went to an ELC a few years ago, it was St. Flannan's in Ennis. A lot of people went with friends, but there were peolpe on their own too. To be honest though, a lot of people who went with their friends didn't even ask to be put in a room with their friends, as it's very tempting to speak English then and also they wanted to get to know new people. You'll make lots of new friends anyway, everyone is very nice, so try not to worrry too much.
    As far as the learning vs. activities is concerned, I think they all preety much follow the same programme, so there wouldn't be any one college that would focus more on learning than the others. When I was there, we did around 3 hours of classes in the mornings and then activities for the rest of the day. Also I found I learned more French just by talking to the others there than I actually learned in the classoroom, as you really brush up on your fluency just by practicing the French you already know.

Thanks so much, my worry was that I was going to be like a loner haha. I'm glad to hear that the learning is also outside the classroom. Thanks so much for your opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DonallFitz

If ELC French is run anything like ELC German, you'll have the time of your life.
    I went to St. Marys Galway the past two years, both times on my own. I made plenty of friends, people are lovely there and its never boring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

It's awful tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Claire1456

I'm doing one this Summer in Flannans in Ennis. Really looking forward to it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement