Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How would you rate the area you live in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Lower Salthill, Galway.

Love it! Short walk in to town, short walk to the prom and sea ( i like swimming in the sea), beaches, playground, swimming pool and green areas for the kids, good pubs nearby, good enough bus service.

I have a car but we only need use it once or twice a week, everything is only a short walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Mr. Nice

Why hasn't somebody already set up a website like, ummm I dunno.... www.ratemyarea.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Capri86

I'm originally from Clontarf. I loved growing up there its a great spot. My first place of my own was in Tallaght. Unfortunately my time there was unlucky. I was only there for a year and my house and car were both broken in to. Shame because I liked living there. Had lovely neighbours. Now I'm living in Lucan. I really like it here. I'm in a very nice estate with plenty of amenities. Quite a lot of late night parties that go on in to the next morning next door but that's my only complaint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Dublin 8. Incredibly diverse area - lot of scumbags, but also a lot of younger professionals, recent immigrants and a relatively large queer population. I love living here tbh, very convenient for work and for going out in the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I live in Matsugaya, Tama Center, Hachioji, or Tokyo, depending on how local you want to go.

Matsugaya is fine - very very quiet. It's one of the few places I've seen in Japan where there is a train station (monorail actually) without a convenience store right outside. Tama Center is a few minutes walk away, with a few shops and parks. Hello Kitty Land is there also, but there's no place to go for a drink. Tama zoo is very close - I'd say I've been there 50 times with my kids.

I'm 40 minutes away from Shibuya/Shinjuku, gateway to all Tokyo has to offer.

Amazing food, safe as can be, weather is great except for a few hellish months in summer.

Pretty high rating, but the standard and / or cost education means I won't be here forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Living in Clontarf and tbh, my only complaint about it would be that I know that I'll never be able to buy there.

It's as close to a perfect area as you'll find in Dublin: close enough to town, plenty of it's own amenities, nice parks/beach/prom nearby, good schools, good standard of people living there and not too close to anywhere really dodgy (so as the kids get older, they should be safe wandering over to friends houses etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

You do realise that Glasthule and Inchicore are both on the southside?

Inchicore is Westside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orland_Park,_Illinois

Orland Park is a village in Cook County, Illinois, United States; it also extends slightly into Will County. The population was 56,767 at the 2010 census.[1] The ZIP code is 60462 for most of the city, and 60467 for the outlying areas of town near the Will County border.

In 2006, Orland Park was awarded the title of "45th Best Place to Live in America" by Money magazine. Facilities include hiking and biking trails, wildlife refuges, greenbelts, a Sportsplex and an aquatic center, Lake Sedgewick, an ice arena, golf courses, playing fields and parks, and more. There are more than 70 malls, plazas and shopping centers, with additional shopping under construction, and more than 200 food-serving establishments.

****ing love it !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

if the weather was nicer i would truly love where i live, pity its generally so ****e :(

tralee btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Here Come The Pretzels

Stoneybatter.
    Great place with loads of amenities:

Phoenix Park on your doorstep.
    Nice pubs along Manor St (Mulligans esp).
    Cinema in Smithfield.
    Luas etc.

The majority of people are decent skins too and to top it all off its within walking distance from the city centre.
    In the words of Llyod Christmas "I like it alot"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Montroseee wrote: »
    Inchicore is Westside

Hardly. It's practically city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Inchicore is Westside

No it's not.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Hardly. It's practically city centre.

It's simply not, your the first person I've ever heard say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Arkla, Arkla, county wickla, its a ****hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orland_Park,_Illinois

Orland Park is a village in Cook County, Illinois, United States; it also extends slightly into Will County. The population was 56,767 at the 2010 census.[1] The ZIP code is 60462 for most of the city, and 60467 for the outlying areas of town near the Will County border.

In 2006, Orland Park was awarded the title of "45th Best Place to Live in America" by Money magazine. Facilities include hiking and biking trails, wildlife refuges, greenbelts, a Sportsplex and an aquatic center, Lake Sedgewick, an ice arena, golf courses, playing fields and parks, and more. There are more than 70 malls, plazas and shopping centers, with additional shopping under construction, and more than 200 food-serving establishments.

****ing love it !!
    Great place indeed, used to visit friends in Tinley, and did a few jobs nearby in Palos,you can feel a bit far out of the loop though:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

10/10 for me, absolutely superb!

Södertälje, Stockholm county. Think Naas to Dublin, bout 30 km to Stockholm city centre.

About 70,000 inhabitants, no cinema, a city centre the size of a town centre of an Irish town with 8,000-10,000 citizens.

HQ of Scania trucks,Astra Zeneca (pharmaceuticals), birthplace of Björn Borg.

Largest demographic would be Arab Christian,followed by Swedish, then Finnish.

5.5/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Love where I live, great lifestyle balance. Locals work hard/party hard yet never see people falling over, puking or fighting (apart from some of the stags that descend on the city). I can go out for €40 and that will cover food, beer and transport for the whole night, bars open all night. Even though there are 1.8 million people living here it doesn't feel like a big city and it's very easy to get around. I can get to work by bus, train or ferry. Beach is just down the street, lots of diverse cafes, restaurants and bars outside my door. And it never gets too hot, 30-35 in the Summer. What I like most is that people are genuinely happy for you and don't begrudge when something good happens to you. That took a long long time to get used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I think what you think about where you live depends on where you are with your life.
    For example, I was brought up in the west of Ireland. Perfect environment for growing up (apart from the catholic thing imo).
    Then in my 20s and 30s I lived mostly in Dublin city centre (D7 and D2) and that was perfect for me - near the city centre, good for socializing, lots of gigs nearbye etc.
    Now that I am...em...a little older and married with kids I am in dundrum. Again, for me now this is perfect. Near the M50, beside Marley park and Dundrum shopping centre etc.
    I would hate to live in the city centre now and I am sure that a young socialite would hate to live in dundrum unless they had family nearbye!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Originally from east donegal, in a small town of about 1,500, decent amenities and 15 mins or so each way from Derry City and Letterkenny. 6/10

Currently living right in Cork city centre, 10 mins walk from college and no need for a bus to get anywhere I need to be. 10/10:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Cabinteely, D18 10/10

Love it, it's safe, its close to the mountains and the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

I live in a place viewed as a chavvy kind of area, but where I live is what I guess you'd call the nice part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

jester77 wrote: »
    great lifestyle balance..

We don't want to buy your house, relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Cabinteely, D18 10/10

Love it, it's safe, its close to the mountains and the sea.

Sucks depending on the 145 for transport though!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

BEST IN THE COUNTRY

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

300 days of sunshine, virtually zero crime, one of the highest concentrations of beautiful people on the planet, half an hour from the Med, two hours from the Alps... bit expensive but you get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

300 days of sunshine, virtually zero crime, one of the highest concentrations of beautiful people on the planet, half an hour from the Med, two hours from the Alps... bit expensive but you get what you pay for.

Bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Its a town in Mayo

beyond boring, the only thing kids can do around here for fun is play GAA or drink

5/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Grew up in an inner suburb in Birmingham, the road was nice but was a stone's throw away from a very dodgy estate of high-rise flats, which meant we got broken into at least once a month.

Then moved to a town in Staffordshire. Very posh, very protestant, full of old people. Where I am now, an outer suburb of brum is far better. It's still a nice, respectable place, doesn't get any trouble, but it's not like living in some Victorian-feeling village. Growing up in a white, incredibly English, posh bubble just wasn't fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I love where I live. It's only about ten miles from where I grew up. I'm within walking distance of the beach, and shops. There are some beautiful scenic walks. It's only about 15 minutes drive to the nearest big town. Pretty much have everything that I need where I am, schools etc. Neighbours are mainly elderly, so no wild parties to keep me up at night:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

Its a town in Mayo

beyond boring, the only thing kids can do around here for fun is play GAA or drink

5/10

Yeah, I lived in castlebar for a while myself... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Yeah, I lived in castlebar for a while myself... :D
    Its not Castlebar but its close (and worse). Prefer not to say where I live if thats alright.

Its not Castlebar but its close (and worse). Prefer not to say where I live if thats alright.

Being clandestine an all ;-)Probably the best place I lived in Ireland would have been Blessington, close to Dublin and Naas, close to the mountains, an average sized town with a village feel to it.Or Cork city based solely on booze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Live near Beaumont but there is debate if its Whitehall or Donnycarney too. None have a great reputation but my road is really nice and located close to everything. The neighbours are pretty nice with the exception of one busybody who complains about everything. Within a week of moving in she proceeded to complain about certain neighbours including my Godmother to me while welcoming me to the area.

Complained my dogs were howling all day long everyday. It was all very strange as I had been working from home for a month and the dogs just slept in the house by my feet. The howling dog was a few doors down and been there for years but for some reason she blamed us. Grand really because after that she stopped talking to us and we joined the long list of other neighbours she doesn't speak to.

Anyway the area is very well serviced people are friendly. Easy to commute from.

Working in Insichore and it is a horrible horrible place full of scumbags. The amount of junkies about the area is as bad as Abbey Street. I wouldn't want to be around there at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I live not too far from there. Few kids getting off the luas and having their nights drinking around the complex I live in which is noisy, but not too bad, no real danger to anyone. The valley next to the apartments has caused people to go hunting their a few times, I've seen a couple of guys with shotguns and whippets, so reported it. But overall safe enough. Could do with more schools though.

I like that area, I've a few friends there, never noticed anything dangerous going on. I suppose it's a bit like for amenities but the transport links are good.
    I've seen foxes around the area and the valley is very secluded in a way so that doesn't surprise me :eek:

You get more trouble at the Ballyogan luas stops.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Live near Beaumont but there is debate if its Whitehall or Donnycarney too. None have a great reputation but my road is really nice and located close to everything. The neighbours are pretty nice with the exception of one busybody who complains about everything. Within a week of moving in she proceeded to complain about certain neighbours including my Godmother to me while welcoming me to the area.

Complained my dogs were howling all day long everyday. It was all very strange as I had been working from home for a month and the dogs just slept in the house by my feet. The howling dog was a few doors down and been there for years but for some reason she blamed us. Grand really because after that she stopped talking to us and we joined the long list of other neighbours she doesn't speak to.

Anyway the area is very well serviced people are friendly. Easy to commute from.

Working in Insichore and it is a horrible horrible place full of scumbags. The amount of junkies about the area is as bad as Abbey Street. I wouldn't want to be around there at night.

Ditto on that, it is but one of many problems the area is gripped by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Kilbarrack old men getting women pregnant on car bonnets 6/10 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Kilbarrack old men getting women pregnant on car bonnets 6/10 !
    That was Raheny in the Old Sheiling to be precise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Yes.

the harold ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kevmy85

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Living in west Donegal. Love the area and most of the people. However, this recession has decimated many villages in the area including my own.

We'll never recover. Rural Ireland is going to end up like Wales after Thatcher. It will take years before we really appreciate the effects of this recession.

Donegal is in a worse state than most of the West. Mostly due to Derry being in a different jurisdiction IMO. Tis a pity.

Living in Rathgar - a bit too southside for my liking as a culchie. Nice place I have to say but if it wasn't for the relatively low rent I pay for a good house pretty close to work I'd consider moving.

Originally from the West, spent yrs in Galway and would move back again at some stage if it suited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Sleepy wrote: »
    Living in Clontarf and tbh, my only complaint about it would be that I know that I'll never be able to buy there.

It's as close to a perfect area as you'll find in Dublin: close enough to town, plenty of it's own amenities, nice parks/beach/prom nearby, good schools, good standard of people living there and not too close to anywhere really dodgy (so as the kids get older, they should be safe wandering over to friends houses etc.).

+1. superb part of Dublin, although places like Blackrock and Dalkey are nice, Clontarf lacks a sort of staidness I sense on the the Southside and it's easy to jump on the 130 or the DART into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

A1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Utterly mediocre in every regard.

mike65 wrote: »
    Utterly mediocre in every regard.

Why's that?

Eathrin wrote: »
    I like that area, I've a few friends there, never noticed anything dangerous going on. I suppose it's a bit like for amenities but the transport links are good.
    I've seen foxes around the area and the valley is very secluded in a way so that doesn't surprise me :eek:

You get more trouble at the Ballyogan luas stops.

I don't like the Leopardstown Valley and Ballyogan stops, too many bored youngsters screaming, messing and whatnot.

Yeah, nothing better than dropping the wee lad to school in the morning and going through the valley being quiet so we might see Mr. Fox or Mr. Badger going home for a sleep, or how many rabbits can you see grazing, or squirrels collecting nuts. Not too many with ever second fécker letting their jack russells chase everything and their spaniels go mental, but hey, they deserve a quiet run around area too.

Few times we have had fireworks and what not go off down there, but nothing too mad really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Live on the coast road in Sutton. It's fab having Howth Head and Howth village, and the Sutton beaches on my doorstep. The weekend traffic from all the day trippers schelpping out to Howth can be a pain, but other than that its grand. Even if I'm not actually doing stuff in Howth or Sutton, it's just lovely having all that beauty right there, to just drink in as you drive along the coast road. The view over Dublin Bay and the North Bull Islands over to the mountains is spectacular. It never looks the same two days in a row. It puts you in a good mood just looking at it.

Am currently renting. Can never afford to buy out here, but am thinking of Baldoyle if and when I do (opinions on Baldoyle welcome btw) decide to buy. The amount of time it takes to get to and from town is a pain, as there is only one way in and one way out of the area really. Lovely as the area is though, there is not much there, in terms of shops. The nearest shopping centres are a 15-30 min car ride away, and some of them can be a bit dodgy. Almost had my car broken into in one of them. I lived in town up to last year. While I don't miss the junkies and the lack of parking, I do miss the buzz of town & having every thing on my doorstep. T'was very, very quiet out my way during the long, long, looooooong dark winter.

No sign of any anti social behaviour out here. My estate is very quiet, but I have only been here 6 months so am not sure if that is long enough to tell. Public transport is good. The Dart station is a 2 minute walk away, and the bus is every 20-30 mins. There is a protected cycle & walking track that runs parallel to the coast road all the way to Clontarf. Am really looking forward to using that to drop some lbs when/if the weather gets nicer. All in all, I really like it. I'd give it a 9/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

Bray. Love it. 8 out of 10, if it could only realise its full potential it would be 10/10 and the best town in Ireland

Calibos wrote: »
    Bray. Love it. 8 out of 10, if it could only realise its full potential it would be 10/10 and the best town in Ireland

Live not too far from there. Love the little independent coffee shops and the beach front walk and old houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I live in Knocknacarra in Galway. It's just a mass of houses really. It has a good size population but all that we seem to have is a pub, Dunnes and a B&Q. It's a bit soulless and boring. The good thing is it's really near Salthill.

Where I'm from in Cork is nice. There's a park, a few bars, 2 shopping centres, a few convenience shops, a cinema, lots of facilities on your doorstep that lend themselves well to a nice standard of living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Ranelagh. Love it. everything is in walking distance. No scum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement